Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #1 of 60 Hotels in Samana Province
Sheffield
“Beautyful island!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

We would like to thank Florencio Lorente and all his staff for all their wonderful food! The staff, service and friendliness has been out of this world! Thankyou so much for making our holiday so lovely! Susan.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Martín V, Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear SheffieldSusan,

Thank you very much for your comments and we are glad to know that your holiday here was amazing, thanks for highlighting the service from our Staff especially from Mr. Florencio.

We hope to see you again at our Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection.

Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,338)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Willenhall, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

We flew from Gatwick to Puerto Plata on the new Dreamliner, we had upgraded to Premier Seating and we had the first 2 seats on the left of the plane, my view is I probably wont book these seats again as you have a rather large console in between the 2 seats that houses your TV screen and I feel it has an impact on the width of the seat, not sure if this was the reason, but I didn’t feel the seats were as comfortable as the old Premier seats, the noise level was a big boost for me – no ear popping, the staff made a big thing of the lighting – it was ok !
We arrived on 5th Feb for our 3rd visit – The 3 ½ hour coach journey from Puerto Plata was not as bad as expected.
We arrived on the Island around 8:45 pm having already checked in at the dock on the mainland, we were allocated Room 12102 (Villa 12) and we were not disappointed, we had a view to die for, although this side of the Island doesn’t get any Sun, but as we don’t spend our days on the balcony this was not an issue.
We spent our first couple of hours on the Terrace outside the main building soaking up the atmosphere, then jetlagged decided to get some shut eye, so we hitched a lift on one of the many buggies on the island, and fell into bed, incidentally the bed was adorned with Balloons, and we had a quart bottle of Brugal, and 2 T-shirts as all repeaters did.
Next morning after unpacking, we decided to spend the day by the quiet pool, which seemed to be the norm for the rest of our stay.
We made it down to Breakfast every morning, never did lunch, and some evenings just settled with room service. We could not fault the food at all – some mornings I was having Bagel, Cream Cheese, Smoked Salmon and Caviar, washed down with Cava, and others it was Full English (well sort of) Evening meals were just as inviting, offering a carved meat each evening, which was wheeled to your table and offered, also Coffee & Brandy was wheeled to your table, these are all new additions since our last visit and it’s a nice touch, and a number of evenings we had Lobster, Langoustines, Prawns and every other shell fish you could think of.
We only ever ate at the Buffet Restaurant, so I am unable to comment on the other A la carte restaurants, but if the food in the Buffet Restaurant is anything to go by, I can only assume the food in the other restaurants is the same quality. We took advantage of the free Room Service on a number of occasions, my only gripe would be, and I think they should offer Pizza as an option as well, but again food was always good.
The new cabanas that have now been placed around the pools make it much nicer as the old ones were looking a little shabby on our last visit, and the Gazebo around the quiet pool is another nice touch, especially to shelter from the short showers.
The people that work on the Island from Gardeners to Bar staff/Office staff could not be more helpful and cheerful, it was nice to see many Guests tipping Gardeners / Cleaners, the guy who kept the Quiet pool tidy and clean was on site around 7 am in the morning (as we were going to breakfast we would see him), and he was still there at 8pm at night (as we were going for evening meal).
Our room service was spot on, from the cleaning to the stocking of the mini bar we never had an issue, we did however have an issue with our door card one afternoon, and we couldn’t access the room, but within 10 mins they were there to sort it.
We met some lovely people whilst we were there – Chris & Aileen, Alan & Jen and Amanda & Ian lovely people go along way to making it a special holiday.
The Island was busier than we have normally experienced but this is because of the time of year, we normally go May, but this year because we wanted to see the Whales we went in February, it was nice also to be there and no children, as this year its become an Adults only hotel.
Hubby celebrated his 60th Birthday whilst we were there and I booked him on a Whale watching tour through Kim Beddall, what an experience, this lady has a wealth of knowledge, and after listening to others comment on there trips with other companies such as Thomsons, I think we had the better deal – once on the boat she organises you so that you all know when to stand and when to sit, and where to look, she has every form of sea sickness aids that you can think off which is all included in the cost of your tour, and drinks and biscuits too – it was about a 2 hour tour and was well worth it, and the photos we have are wonderful.
Staff members to be remembered are: Hipilato & Georgina in Buffet Restaurant, Sandra & Alesandro at Quiet pool and Walkey at the main bar, and a big thank you to our Housekeeping team, and the guys that took you back to our room each evening.
And finally all to quickly our holiday was over, and it was time to return home, but we will be back, probably not next year, but more likely to be 2016.
Again the journey back to the airport was not a problem, although I would prefer to fly into Samana and be able to spend a few more hours on Paradise Island……………………… please.
See you all soon.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sharon B
Dear Sharon B,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Luxury Bahia Principe Hotel, especially from our Management Department.

We are so glad after having received your message letting us know you had an amazing vacation experience in our Hotel, Your comments are a valuable reference for other customers who are considering Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts for their holidays.

Looking forward to welcome you again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts Best all inclusive in the Dominican Republic.

Sincerely yours,

Morecambe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Flight - we travelled from Manchester to Puerto Plata via Thomson, the last journey to be taken on the old 767-300 before the Dreamliner kicks in. Excellent service both in and out.

Taxi Transfer - Got James Hunt as our driver, left Puerto Plata at 4.20 and was in our room at the hotel in just over 3 hours... Mad driver!

Mainland checking in - Very smooth and quick, there are toilets and cold bottled water available at the mainland.

Boat Transfer - Fully expected to have to wait for a boat, we knew we had missed the 18:30 one, so guessed we would have to wait for the 20:15 boat. But there was a boat there within 5 mins, and we were taken to Paradise. Not sure if that was by luck or good fortune, but we weren't complaining.

Hotel welcome - We were offered a cocktail on arrival and given a very brief overview of the hotel (breakfast times etc), it took about 5 minutes tops and then we were taken to our room by vehicle.

Room - Stayed in Villa 30 (102), its the beach villa just next to the watersports centre. There are three villas in this block and we were in the middle one. Sunny patio with a jacuzzi at the end, which we used to fill with cold water in the afternoon. We also requested a hammock that was put up on the patio, it was simply superb to lie there in the late afternoon sun. Some people say they are not private, but Villa 30 only had a foot path in front that was only really infrquently used by the three villas. We found them to be private enough and lets face it when you are that close to the beach and the sea, you want to see it. I loved, loved, loved the beach villa!!!!!

I found the beds incredibly comfortable, but I like a firm bed, the bed was huge though, I lost my husband in it a few times. Other people have complained of the water pressure, we had no problems in either the outside or inside jacuzzi and the shower pressure was superb.

On arrival we also had the Bahia t-shirts, a bottle of rum, a dessert platter and a fruit platter. Not sure if that is normal or not, but it does make you feel extra special.

We didn't use the butler service once, I had confirmed with the hotel before hand and you can use them for unpacking and ironing on the first day and had planned to take advantage, but in the end, I had already unpacked before I remembered.

Beach - We used the watersports centre twice, once for a double sit on kayak and once for a kayak each.. which I absoluately loved, you can use them for an hour a day and its free. We also took our snorkels, saw a few varieties of fish (not a fisherman so couldn't tell you the types). We swam over to the little island which at low tide has a small beach too, its a nice easy swim, coming back, I predominently just floated on my back.. The water isn't deep at all.

We went to the public beach one afternoon, primarily as I wanted a coco loco ($5 and they give you the rum to add as much as you like), and it was so hot down there, we didn't stay long, but the beach is lovely. Also have market stalls during the day, bought a couple of bracelets, apparently black pearls LOL, I'll tell you when the paint comes off.. Didn't barter too much on the price, ultimately I would have paid the full price anyway, so happy days.. The other stalls were selling t-shirts, paintings etc.

Pools - Only used the bottom beach pool, plenty of shade, plenty of loungers, plenty of towels, enough said... I bought a lilo for $10 from the little stall by the pool and it was superb for both the pool and the sea, I hope the guys in 30101 who have it now, have as much fun with it.

Food - Thought the buffet had plenty of choice and I never had to pick second best. Also ate at Don Pablos which was lovely. Portofino, I wasn't as struck on, food was nice, but if anything slightly lacked atmosphere, that was probably down to us being there early before everyone else though, they did serve a nice Sauvignon Blanc in there though. We ate at the poolside buffet every day for lunch, enough choice and no complaints.

Drinks - No problems, small drinks in plastic cups during the day, but seriously you don't want glass when there are bare feet around. We got poolside service or we got up and walked to the beach bar, no hassles. Our drinks in the evening were never left empty, as soon as you had finished, you were offered a top up....(not so good on an evening of vodka martini's.. Ooops)

Dress Code - Pretty relaxed at the buffet, some dressed up, some dressed down. The dress code was adhered to in the restaurants when we were there, but don't know if they were enforced. I wore summer dresses all week, hubby had cargo shorts (below knee) and sandals... We felt fine.

Bahia Principe Phone App - downloaded to my iPhone before I went and used it to book the restaurants, simples. You can also use it to book spa treatments. Worked very effectively.

Privilege Club - Never bothered us once, not even a hello..

Grounds - from Beach Villa to Main buffet was about a 5 minute walk, you had a few options, stairs, lift (next to the Mediteranean restaurant) or hill next to Beach Villa 31.. We used the stairs 95% of the time, they bring you out next to Villa 3.. used the lift only if the coco loco's had been a tad strong in the afternoon. We didn't find the resort as hilly as I had imagined and never used the little bus once.

Clientele - Great mix of people, some old, some young, all different nationalities. Met a great bunch of guys who we would have a drink with in the lobby bar on an evening (you made our holiday even better.. Thanks peeps).

Staff - Could seriously not do enough for you, glass never empty, glass filled without request... Brilliant works guys.

Tipping - Not really needed, did it here and there, dollar a day for the maid, some for turn down staff, few for drinks here and there... Not really required, not expected.

Tours - Did Ziplining with Terry, superb, see separate review

Overall - I loved my week there, was a week too short to go such a distance, IMHO, No... We were instantly relaxed the moment we got there and didn't need any wind down time. Next question, would I go back... in a heart beat! even flying to Puerto Plata... YES!!!!!!

Room Tip: Beach Villas were superb, we were in 30102, a fantasic jacuzzi could be enjoyed on a sunny afternoon...
3 Thank JaxGallaghan
Dear Jacquie,

We cannot thank you enough for your comments. We truly appreciate that you took the time to share about your experience during your married in our Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado. Your comments are a valuable reference for other customers who are considering us for their vacations.

Thank you very much for adding your photos of the hotel

We hope to have you once again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts for your holidays with your couple in Dominican Republic.

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

My wife and I spent just a week at the Cayo Leventado, and for the first holiday in a long time, we wished we had been staying longer!

We stayed in a room in the hotel itself (217), which was huge and really comfortable. It had an enormous bed, a couch and chairs, and still had plenty of space left over to spread out in. There were 2 small negatives about it, mind you - that particular room overlooks some kitchen buildings at the back of the hotel, so there was no great view from it, and the shower in the room is TINY, especially when considered in relation to the size of the whole room - so, if you're tall and/or large, and if you like some space when taking showers, look for a different room!

The negative bits about the room out of the way, the rest of the hotel was magnificent! Open colonial style, with plenty of spacious areas in which to sit, and/or to have a drink. The dining room is enormous and cool, and if you don't fancy eating inside, there is plenty of room on the beautiful terrace outside.

Staff in the restaurant were really friendly and very attentive - and it didn't matter whether it was breakfast, lunch or dinner, everything was done with a smile all day, every day! And as for the food . . the food in the buffet was amazing, and the choices were mind-blowing - if you aren't happy with the food here, in choice/range/flavour, then you have a bigger problem!

Simply for a change of scenery we ate at the Don Pablo a couple of nights (once on our own and once with a group of friends we met while there), and it too was great. Lobster, beef, and a great 'tasting' menu, and again, all served with a smile!

The resort has three beaches, the public beach, the 'windy' beach (which is actually the best beach from which to swim), and the 'activities' beach, where you could play beach volley-ball, a DR version of petanque, horse-shoes, bingo, and do a whole host of other activities arranged by the brilliant 'Animation Team' (who, again, were absolutely SUPER!!), including aqua-aerobics. Two swimming pools located in different areas of the resort, and a third 'jacuzzi' pool meant that if you didn't fancy a dip in the sea then there were still plenty of places to dip, chill out and then have a cocktail (or two . . . or three . .)

We did several excursions while we were there, one whale watching, one to Los Haitises, and one to El Limon. The whale watching was great - we were picked up and left back to the island, and we saw a couple of whales, which was fantastic! Los Haitises involved a short ride into town, and then beautiful trip into the bay, with a visit to the mangrove swamps and the fabulous caves on the far side of the bay - some of the small islands and rock formations in the park are amazing and the tree, growing down into one of the caves, is a special sight. El Limon was also super - about an hours ride in an open-sided truck, followed by a trail on donkey/horseback, to arrive at the beautiful waterfall, under which you could go swimming!!

During our stay we also used the spa a couple of times - the treatments were certainly not cheap, but boy do you feel great after them, especially the deep-tissue massage, which did exactly what was required of it!

Although entertainment shows are provided each night for a few hours, CL is not a place for wild holidaying - thanks heavens! The pace of life in the resort is slow, with an option of 'dead-slow' - the PERFECT place for a relaxing holiday!!

PC

PS. Not the fault of the hotel, but Thomsom choose to fly into Puerto Plata, which is a 4-hour transfer after a long flight from London - not great, Thomson, and you need to think again about flying back into the nearer airport. So if you are flying with Thomson be prepared for a long, long trip (even with a welcome break mid-way!), but also be assured - - after you arrive, it is sooooooooo worth it!!!.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Paul C
Dear Paul C,

We cannot thank you enough for your comments. We truly appreciate that you took the time to share about your experience during your holidays in our Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado. Your comments are a valuable reference for other customers who are considering us for their vacations.

Tamworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Myself an my partner steve went for a relaxing holiday, it was wicked, the room was fab so was the food, we met some fab people there an had a wicked time, defo be going back there. The beach party is a must lol

1 Thank Mandy T
Dear Mandy T,

Thank you very much for your comments and we are glad to know that your holiday here was amazing, thanks for highlighting the good food, lovely beach and our excellent staff.

Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

We booked 2 weeks at Cayo over a year in advance for my Husband's 40th birthday and it was well worth the wait!

I had emailed the hotel in advance and requested a room in Villa 2 to 5 however we ended up in Villa 12 (12103) but we had no complaints as the room was beautiful with stunning sea views despite being on the ground floor. The jacuzzi pool was just outside and once you found the short cuts it only took about 5 mins to get to where you wanted to be.

We spent most of the first week around the beach pool and used the beach restaurant for lunch then the second week we camped out at the quiet pool and went to the main lobby for lunch. All the food was fresh, well cooked and we never had any problems finding something to eat. Oriental night was our favourite buffet theme and we ate at Don Pablo twice, both times it was really good. There was a very good cocktail list and they were all good quality...they did run out of certain things but there was usually an alternative until they could re-stock.

Staff were always smiling and polite and we had no issues with the language barrier like some people had previously mentioned, we found a lot of the staff had a very good grasp of basic English...in fact I think this is the first hotel we've stayed at where even our maid could speak decent English!

Niggles...
If you looked hard enough you could find things to complain about but if you just go with the flow and relax then you shouldn't come across anything which would ruin your holiday.
We spotted some blatent towel taking abuse (4/5 towels per lounger!) The beach pool also started to get a bit scummy after the first few days.

Bacardi beach was also a bit disappointing, we were really looking forward to seeing it but it was packed with tatty loungers and litter so the only other time we visited was to go the beach party (we were the ones dancing on the bar!)

The only other let down was the fact that the hotel made no special arrangements for my Husband's 40th birthday despite us getting an email from Stephanie that they would do something special. On the day itself I realised they must have forgotten so I had to call Don Pablo to ask them to decorate the table, despite that we still had a the most amazing holiday and we were sad to leave. It was made even more enjoyable by the new friends we made during our stay, you know who you are!

We would love to return one day, but only if Thomson get their act together and sort out the 4 hour transfer from POP as it's exhausting!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Emma M
Dear Mrs. Emma M,

We are very pleased to read you enjoyed a wonderful time at our Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado.

Thank you for highlighting the good food, our friendliness staff and the rooms, we are very glad to know that your stay here with us was amazing.

We hope to see you again at our All-inclusive luxury hotels on the Dominican Republic with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Elizabeth, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

My partner and I stayed at this property for 5 days 4 nights during the Spring break. I wish we had more time to stay longer! The hotel location is amazing and the grounds are well kept. Service is first quality and the staff is friendly and very professional. Food is good everywhere at the hotel but it is EXCELLENT at Don Pablo Gourmet Restaurant. Food preparation and presentation was so extraordinary that we asked to meet the chef. We were surprised and very pleased to know that he is Cuban like us! The hotel facilities and rooms are clean. We got a Junior Suite Superior with an amazing view to the ocean and the mountains. I believe it is a good value for the money. The beach is idyllic!! I only regretted the poor quality of the pillows and bedding linens. I expected something better, according to the hotel category. The mini-bar in the room was very limited in the selection of beverages and it would only be replenished at an extra cost. The experience was a memorable one and we already planned to come back. Don't miss the excursion to Playa Rincon!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Linkito
Dear linkito

We are so happy to hear your great experience in our Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado. To know that our guests go back home satisfied with their vacation, makes all our efforts worthwhile. We will be sending your greeting to all our team!!!

We hope to see you again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, Best all inclusive in Dominican Republic.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Samana Province
Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#3 of 60 in Samana Province

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!