Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #2 of 54 Hotels in Samana Province
midlands
“Beautiful place”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Just got back from a wonderful holiday at gran bahia..this place is a paradise setting, everything about it was fantastic, gardens beautiful , staff were so pleasant and welcoming, nothing was to much trouble 24 hours a day, drinks and food were plentiful, tipping wasn't expected at all, we did tip because we wanted to not alot a couple of dollars here and there,it was very much appreciated. Natasha and henry at the pool bar and melvyn, dexter and raymondo the waiter's are a credit to this hotel all the staff were but these in particular. .will definitely return

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank therams20
Martín V, Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Therams20

We are so happy to hear your great experience in our Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado. To know that our guests go back home satisfied with their vacation, makes all our efforts worthwhile. We will be sending your greeting to all our team!!!, specially to dexter.

We hope to see you again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, Best all inclusive in Dominican Republic.

Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,378)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Review from our 7 day holiday for our 10th anniversary :
1) SERVICE : OMG, the best I've ever had! everyone always smiling, ready to go out of their way to make you happy without expecting anything in return. So refreshing to see ALL staff super happy to be there. (George, Wenny, Jose Luis, Luis Miguel, Elisandra, Deter, Augustin, Bernarda, and everyone, thanks a million for your service)

2)CLEANLINESS/room : super clean resort, even though some construction happening in different parts of the resort, we didn't feel that it affected the cleanliness. Pools were kept clean. Rooms were always perfectly cleaned (we stayed in room 2104, which has an unforgetable view, a big whirlpool jaccuzi, king size bed, a big balcony with a sofa to relax, quiet corner, close to the lobby and the beach/pool without being too close). Rooms have all the amneties you need (coffee machine, mini-bar with water bottles, iron, hairdryer, bathrobes, slippers, and, in case you forget them: they even have : toothpaste & brush, shaving kit, sewing kit, and more

3)FOOD/drinks : LOTS to chose from and over all good. Loved the pina colada and the Presidente beer.

4) BEACH: there's 2 sections. One that had a really nice breeze and high waves, and the other less wavy and shallow for quite a distance. Not that long of a stretch, but it's a decent beach (8/10). We had 4 days of rain that washed off tons of garbage, but the staff worked hard all day cleaning the beach by hand.

5) PHOTOGRAPHY: We had a photoshoot with Hector (he is the best!). it's worth it if you want to spend about 10$ each picture for a special occasion.

6) PUBLIC BEACH/MARKET: we strolled to that section few times. the beach is nice, but i wouldn't pay to get a chair and sit there. The market has many choices if looking for gifts (clothing, painting, souvenirs, alcohol). You can lower the price by at least 60% of the asking price. There's also a paying bar/snacks, but apparently after the resort show (10pm), all can go to the public beach side and enjoy a beach party without paying for the drinks.

7)SHUTTLE : there's a boat shuttle with a schedule that takes you to mainland. But we didn't use it.

5) ACTIVITIES : There's a scheduled activity calendar board. But the animation team doesn't harass you. If you want to join, you can find them and join (games, aquaerobics at the beach, lessons, so on )

6)internet: they say they offer free WI-FI, but it's the slowwwwwwwwwwest connection I've ever seen. Everyone was getting mad that they couldn't connect well.

Thanks to all the staff (especially Robert our concierge) for the enjoyable relaxing trip.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Martín V, Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Suntan_girl,

Receive warm greetings from all the Staff working at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado.

We are so glad after having received your message letting us know you had an espectacular vacation in our Hotel, and that you specially enjoyed the Service from our Staff, food, room and we will send your greetings to all the team!!

Hope to see you soon on your next vacation experience in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Sincerely yours,

england
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

First time visitor to Dominican Republic and what a choice!!!
This hotel is a shining star in so many ways, I'll explain a few below
Location
Breathtaking! a true island getaway. It was dark when we arrived by boat transfer from the mainland (I'll explain further down) so couldn't really appreciate it but the next morning upon exploring a little it became obvious that this was a special place
First impressions
The island seemed large and a little confusing to get around but we thought we would reserve judgement which turned out to be a wise choice
Room
Absolutely Huge!! We stayed in a villa superior junior suite great view to the sea it was about 10 mins walk from the main hotel building.. It's great to walk if you want to but we chose to get the golf carts quite a lot so if you have any reservations around mobility although the resort is quite hillythere is no need to worry as you just call reception to order a lift and they are there outside your villa by the time you put the phone down!!
Fantastic choice at the buffet restaurant some nights could have been a little warmer but hey you just wait for the dishes to be refreshed which happens on a regular basis lovely breakfast choice too. we did two A la Cartes, Don Pablo which was fantastic the first two visits then not so good on our final visit (a minor negative in the grand scheme if things).. we also visited the portofino which was very nice but not as good as Don Pablo. you can visit the A La Carte resteraunts as many times as you want to the only reason we only did three was the long trouser policy I understand the reasons behind this as the management wouldn't want guests in swimwear in these restraints however I do think it could be relaxed to a pair of smart knee length shorts....
Drinks
Anything you could possibly want and more!!. All premium brand drinks fully included examples Jack Daniels, Johnnie Walker 12 year old. Bombay Sapphire etc etc etc......
First class in all areas your glass is never empty, your dinner table never has an empty plate on it longer than a minute or two.. Waiter service around the pool ann beach area very good.Special mention for Virginia in the lobby bar and Raymundo for breakfast an Don Pablo.. A credit to the team
Management
Great "Back to the floor" policy from the senior management team you could always see them walking around talking to their teams or having their lunch or dinner in one of the resteraunts
Now for my only negative... And before you ask its nothing to do with the hotel. Thomson will you please get real and listen to what your customer feedback is telling you... and yes I know that it's stated at the time of booking about the transfer but it's really not on to expect your customers to after an 8 hour plane journey to sit on a coach for a further 4.5 hours and arrive at the destination absolutely drained and in the dark!!! I could understand if that was the only option, however there is an international airport less than an hour away...If you need to hike the price up to offset any cost then do it more people will come an certainly more will return
In Summary
Dominican People are fantastic and certainly have a culture an country to be proud of
Hotel
In 3 words it was wonderful, wonderful and Er.... wonderful...... Bravo!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank marky42
Dear Marky42,

Please receive a warm greeting from our Hotel Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado - Don Pablo Collection. First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us.

Thank you for highlighting our good food and the clean rooms, it a pleasure for us to know that our guest feel like in home.

We hope to welcome you soon and provide you once again a wonderful relaxing holiday at our All-inclusive luxury hotels on the Dominican Republic with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Best regards,
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Wonderful in so many ways. yet needs a little more.”

Usually I don’t have a problem deciding if the hotel is a 4 Stars or 5.
Yet for this hotel I find myself debating. It has the potential to be 5 Stars but it just misses the mark.

Why I think it should be 5 Stars.

I have experienced many hotels but this was by far has the best service. I have never seen happier employees. They go above and beyond to make sure your having the best vacation. Service at the Buffet was unbelievable. From the moment you sit down you getting amazing service, you finish your plate and the plate is gone from the table. There’s always someone around from staff to management at your service. We truly felt like royalty. You get the feeling of happiness anywhere you go in the hotel. At the pool or on the beach there is always someone there to get you drinks. You never feel like you need to tip (Although we did) but the smile on their faces makes your day. (especially when you have lots of rainy days.)

The hotel is clean considering the renovations happening in some parts of it. If you ignore that you will see how they try and keep the grounds spotless. The villas are always clean. From outside in. We were in villa 2. We had Junior suite superior. Beautiful room in a exceptional location. Your close to everything but yet when you’re in your room you feel like there’s no one around. The balcony is on a hill in front of the ocean and surrounded by greenery. We would listen to the ocean waves while lying in bed and when you get up you have an amazing view of the ocean. It has everything that a 5 star hotel would have. Comfortable King size bed if you like sleeping on medium to hard bed. Nice Jacuzzi tub and stand up shower. Separate toilet and 2 sinks. Nice LCD TV. Room was always clean when we came back and fridge was never empty from soft drinks to hard liquor.

Now I will talk about the things that in my opinion made the hotel miss the 5 stars.

Room
We had a problem in the room we would hear like a jack-hammer noise in the wall. it would come and go at no specific times. when we hear it the noise can last from 15 to 45 seconds. it is hard to pinpoint where it is coming from but it is annoying. I mentioned it to the front desk but It was still there when we left.

Pool
The relaxation pool was not so relaxing at all. On one side there was construction which is understandable but on the other side, the pool had this loud suction noise that was so annoying and disturbing. Someone should really fix this. It felt like you were sitting at the dentist office with a really loud suction. The chairs at the same pool are bad. I think they were trying to go fancy. But steel chair in the sun gets really hot. Then when you go to relax and put your arms on it, well it burns. You can not rest your arms and therefore you have to sit in an awkward uncomfortable position . Needless to say we relaxed on the beach and the beach pool for the rest of the times.

Food.

Food is a little hard to describe because we all have our own taste but here is my take on it.
The food was Ranging from Average to really good. I personally Enjoyed the buffet more then any of the ‘A La Carte restaurants’. We tried all 3 a la carte and decided not to go for a second time. we found the food to be very salty at the Italian. Average at the Mediterranean and Don Pablo. We enjoyed the variety at the buffet more and we always found something to our liking.
There is a GALA NIGHT at the buffet. check when you get there when it is and make sure you do not miss it. I think there was different theme nights at the buffet we only saw the Gala and Chinese not sure what we missed when we were at the A la carte. There is enough variety every day. Yes there are the same food everyday but there are some that are different. You will not go hungry there.

Drinks

Slushy drinks SHOULD NOT be watery with ice cubes. Having to drink a Pina Colada or Strawberry daiquiri with Ice CUBES is not enjoyable. Yet this is not the first time I experience this at the Bahia resorts. They have Slushy machines that don’t get slushy until late afternoon. Why do they turn it off? This should never stop. The drinks taste really good when it is done correctly. But for most of the day it is a drink on ice instead of slush. Either fix the machines or go back to blenders.

The beach bar for some reason never had Extra Old rum in the morning. I drink like 3 or 4 drinks a day. SO I like my drinks with that certain kind of rum. It is suppose to be included but yet every morning it is missing and they seem to get it in the afternoon when we are almost done drinking. Is it so hard to check and make sure you have that bottle of rum? It is upsetting when you can’t drink a slushy drink because it is watery and you can’t enjoy another drink because the rum is not there.

Jacuzzi.
We went to the Jacuzzi once and it was cold, so we never went back. Maybe it is suppose to be a cold water Jacuzzi. But don’t expect a hot water Jacuzzi.

Beach
There are 2 sides of Beach one side is wavier then the other.
If you like excitement and having fun in waves (like me) you will have lots of fun there. If your more like my wife just walk and look for seashells and relax there is the other side. Both nice and crew work hard to keep it clean. There is also the public beach which is also beautiful and there is a little market there also. We did not spend time on the public beach but we did go shopping.
It is the only shopping you can do except if you go back on the mainland and take a taxi ride for $20 to get you to the local market or the Bahia pueblo market. Don’t waste your money on the Bahia pueblo most of the shops are closed (out of business) we bargained our way on the public beach and got good gifts for good prices.

Entertainment

We chose this hotel because we knew it was a relaxing hotel. We expected to NOT DO MUCH.
but that does not mean it is boring. if you want activities on the beach it is there. but the crew won't bother you. if your interested you won't get bored find one of the crew and you will see you will have fun. There are nightly shows, did not see any of them so I can not tell you how they were, and I was told there is a beach party at the public beach at night after the show where the drinks are included. People have to understand the Hotel has the entertainment but most people like ourselves are not there for that. WE JUST WANT TO RELAX, and we got that.

Internet
Or should I say lack of it. If you never experienced what a 56K internet connection is this would be the place to do it. It is not just slow. It is really really slow. Whether your using Wi-Fi or the PC provided. You wait and wait and wait.... then finally give up.
I have been to other resorts where high speed internet was not an issue. Something management should look into.

This is a side note which did not really influence my decision on how I rate the hotel but I think the hotel should do something about it. We had a storm when we were there and we lost electricity and hot water. I know we have no control over mother nature. What is awful is after the storm the garbage from other towns filled the ocean. It was filled to the point that we could not use the wavy beach for 4 days but the other side was cleaned within 2 days. (Sadly to the locals this is normal, it is like they expect it every year) I know the garbage is not the problem of the hotel but the clean up took time because the staff were waiting for the garbage to arrive to the shore so that they can clean it up. There must be another way. Get a little boat and collect the garbage so we don’t have to wait 4 days to get to use the beach again. Put a net or something. I attached some photos of what I mean.

Anyway I think that is all I have to say, If you want to take professional pictures ask for Hector Guerrero. Amazing photographer. Thanks to our Concierge Robert and Also thanks to George who made our stay Enjoyable. I can not name all the people but I say it again all the staff at that resort makes your vacation memorable.
Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 2 and loved it. it was close to everything and private. Villa 16 and above there...

Room Tip: we stayed in Villa 2. We loved it. close to everything and yet private.
1 Thank alfred f
Dear Mr. Alfred F,

At our hotel we have the commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations.

We appreciate your compliments to our staff and it is a real pleasure for us to learn that we have achieved our goal, the complete satisfaction of our guests'.

In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion.

We hope we can have once again the opportunity to welcome you at our Hotel or at any of the Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts in a near future, to be able to make of your vacations an unforgettable experience.

Best regards,
Hornchurch, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

There isn't much to say that other reviewers haven't.
Room: We stayed in the main building, room 206, which was wonderful. Couldn't of asked for anything else, we was more than happy with our room. Best hotel room we have ever stayed in.

Food: Buffet was lovely, plenty of choice, trouble with spoons double dipping etc. Snack bar was great too. Sometimes the service for drinks at the buffet wasn't great, you wouldn't be offered, or you'd be asked then not get a drink, or you would only get one drink. Apart from that, great atmosphere while sitting outside, even when it rained. ;)
Don Pablo was outstanding, the best steak we've ever eaten, Meditaranian was lovely, plenty of choice and so tasty. Our least favourite was the Italian, very salty fish and to be honest we just didn't know what to choose, nothing 'jumped out' at us.

Amenities: We loved the beach and the sea was clean and warm. We know the beach wasn't huge but you didn't find that you were on top of each other (wonder how this will change when new rooms are ready.)
Pools were clean and did exactly what you wanted, eg quiet, jacuzzi etc. Only problem was pool beds were made of metal which of course gets very hot in the sun so not to be touched! Public beach was nice, visited it once but was more than happy to stay on our private beaches.

Entertainment: loved watching the aerobics, didn't take part of course ;)
Watched a couple of the shows and they were good actually. Didn't make it to the beach party as never made it to pass 11pm, all that rest and relaxation is tiring work!

Staff: What can I say? The people are the most friendly, efficient, happy, special people we've ever met. Nothing was too much trouble and without them we feel this Island wouldn't of been as big a paradise as it was! From the big bosses who wave you goodbye at the pier side to the hard workers who make the gardens look breath taking.

Overall a wonderful experience for two forty years olds who were celebrating their second honeymoon. Loved it, loved it , loved it!
Would definitely return, maybe for 10 days next time. Thank you to all at Cayo Levantado from the lady who cried when she left and the man who managed to actually relax. X

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicola G
Dear Nicola G,

We are very pleased to read you enjoyed a wonderful time at our Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado.

Thank you for highlighting the good food, our friendliness staff and the rooms, we are very glad to know that your stay here with us was amazing.

We hope to see you again at our All-inclusive luxury hotels on the Dominican Republic with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Kind Regards
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I would highly recommend this hotel the best you can get for food staff and food can not find a fault it.the rooms are big and very clean and the beaches are to die for.if you are a romantic couple I would highly recommend the meal for two on the beach top draw

Room Tip: We had a suit in the main building could not fault it
4 Thank John O
Dear John O,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Luxury Bahia Principe Hotel, especially from our Management Department.

We are so glad after having received your message letting us know you had an amazing vacation experience in our Hotel, Your comments are a valuable reference for other customers who are considering Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts for their holidays.

Looking forward to welcome you again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts Best all inclusive in the Dominican Republic.

Thanks for posting the photos of our hotel

Sincerely yours,
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The Island of Cayo Levantado is absolutely stunning, but I arrived a bit out of sorts. Whilst I didn't mind the journey or the long transfer, the AC on the coach was fierce and I caught a chill, the choppy ferry crossing in the dark caught me by surprise, and I lost a dental filling shortly after we arrived. However, we were absolutely thrilled with the standard, maintenance, and location of our room in the main building, and this pleasure never dimmed throughout our stay. Luxury indeed!

Loved the quiet upper pool, though the sunbeds here were sadly the least comfortable of any in the resort as they had no mattress and a hard bar under your back. I was guilty of grabbing an extra towel for a bit of padding, but then a couple of us got into the habit of bringing a cushion from our rooms for the same purpose. However, the service and music free ambiance here was great and it was definitely one of our favourite spots throughout the holiday.

As for the private beach, I was initially disappointed. Both sides were much smaller than I expected, and the quiet beach was a sea of bodies at all sorts of angles hugging the waters edge in search of the sun and making it difficult to get into the sea without a detour. The sea was lovely though, and I'd often just go there for a swim and then return to the upper pool to sunbathe in peace and quiet.

The first time we went to the beautiful public beach it was Dominican Independence Day and it was absolutely heaving with visitors and Dominican families all having a great time. We enjoyed walking round but it was far from relaxing and coloured our view for a few days until we realised there were quiet days too which were much more to our liking, even though the sunbeds were shabby and shade hard to find.

As for the food - on the whole it was absolutely first class. We loved the Don Pablo where the service was the leisurely pace we like. Loved the theatre of it all too - cocktail of the day on arrival, amuse bouche, main courses served under domes, slow jazz in the background, low lighting, impeccable service by knowledgeable, professional staff, and above all, fantastic food beautifully proportioned and presented. A total treat well worthy of any five star establishment. Tried the Mediterranean too, and although the food was good, the service was somewhat chaotic with the red wine appearing to run out after one of us had been served one glass, and two courses served before the dirty plates from the previous course had been removed. We didn't go again.

The food in the buffet was also excellent, with lots of choice and fantastic fish dishes at every sitting. The hotel has its own chocolatier and the desserts in general were amazing. Some theme nights were better than others, and better during different weeks, but we especially liked the Oriental and the Gala night when the display of chocolate creations in the lobby bar was absolutely outstanding. Nice too to be greeted at the buffet entrance each evening with a themed cocktail, and a hand gel service.

However, it took me a while to appreciate the 'vibe' of Cayo Levantado. It didn't initially feel very Caribbean. I found the evening entertainment commercial, and missed the local influence I was expecting and experience in spades in Cuba, for example. The animation team undoubtedly work very hard, but seem to choose the music they like, rather than tailoring the choice to their, largely, mature, and now adults only clientele. It was hard to hear yourself think at the beach bar the volume was so loud and interfered with the ambiance of the quiet beach. Similarly, the informative boat tour around the island I was expecting, turned into something of a Club 18-30 excursion with the animation team guide shouting at the top of his voice in competition with the loud, blaring music, whilst assuring guests on what seemed to be an overloaded boat that 'he'd save us' as the sea grew more and more choppy. I have to say it was one of the worst 30 minutes of any holiday I've ever endured, when I normally consider myself a good sailor, and seemed totally at odds with the relaxed experience other guests had had on previous trips.

Of the evening entertainment on the terrace, we very much enjoyed the fire eating display and the amazing trapeze artists, but other nights were just miming and dancing to Michael Jackson and such, and a bit tedious. What I wouldn't have given for a live singer and authentic, local band once or twice during our holiday!

However, we met some lovely people during our stay and their relaxed and engaging company made all the difference during our second week and I began to appreciate all the plus points that CL undoubtedly has to offer. I perhaps just wish for a more dedicated waiter service in the excellent buffet - never sure who was serving you what and when - and maybe a bit more info in one place about the events of the day.

These small-ish issues apart, would I go back? Now that I know what to expect, and how I might do things a little differently next time, Oh yes, most definitely!

Cheers ♥️

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Wirralite
Dear Wirralite,

We cannot thank you enough for your comments. We truly appreciate that you took the time to share about your experience during your vacation in our Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado. Your comments are a valuable reference for other customers who are considering us for their vacations.

We hope to have you once again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts for your holidays with your couple in Dominican Republic.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Samana Province
#3 of 111 in Punta Cana
Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#1 of 54 in Samana Province

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!