We stayed in July after having booked the trip through RCI a year earlier. Needless to say we were quite excited to finally arrive and the resort is impressive from the very start.
Upon arriving at the welcome center, on the mainland, we were greeted by courteous staff and offered water while they handled our luggage. Check in was a breeze, just one signature and we were given our room key, map of resort and some spa info.
Since we booked through RCI we were given Privilege Club status which we highly recommend.
Once on the island we met our butler David, who escorted us to our room and gave us a tour of the resort. We stayed in villa 2 and the room was awesome with a great water view. Please note. There are a lot of stairs and hills so if mobility is an issue this resort could prove challenging.
The great - the resort itself, well maintained and just wonderful. A true paradise. Staff did a great job making our stay special, even had a happy birthday banner on the door for my wife and birthday cake the final night at dinner. Chocolate platter and welcome kit upon arrival, fruit platters sent to room a couple of days. No pushy timeshare sales, no towel card at pool/beach.
Live entertainment every night and two small stores in case you forgot something. I could go on but overall it's a lovers paradise.
The good - lots of staff, almost too much. The downside is very few speak or understand English unless you're talking to upper management and even then it's sketchy. We don't mind for the most part since we've travelled a lot and can get by. Afternoon tea and snacks in main lobby and desserts some nights placed out after dinner.
The bad - normally we're ok with the food in Dominican resorts since our expectations are low to start with. Usually you can catch at least a couple of good meals in the restaurants. Not here, the food was horrible. The owner may have spared no expensive on the resort but they're getting their money back by purchasing the cheapest food products. Having worked in the food industry it was glaringly apparent. We tried all three restaurants and all failed. The meats are the cheapest cut and tough, they smother steak in McCormick gravy mix (yes, McCormick I remember the retched taste from childhood) and their seafood is poorly prepared and low quality. The buffet food is terrible too, by day three was eating mostly fruit/salad. Sanitary conditions are sketchy, at the pool buffet I witnessed chicken, pork and beef left sitting in water by the grill in 90 degree temps. Big no no.
Breakfast was the only passable buffet. Even the seafood night at the main buffet was a huge letdown, the shrimp was the only decent fish and probably caught local. The main lobster and stone crab were empty claw shells with little to no meat. Which means they're starving before they're cooked, very disappointing.
Bring lots of antacid and anti diarrhea medicine, you'll need it. We were both sick twice during the week and then both of us the last night after dining at the Mediterranean Resturant.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 pools 3 Jacuzzis with bar Large sun terrace and gardens with loungers and sun umbrellas Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 1 tennis court Motorised water sports (additional charge) Store Heliport WiFi access in the lobby and in rooms (free of charge) Main buffet-style restaurant and 3 speciality restaurants 4 Bars Cocktail Lounge Snack-bar Wedding gazebo Rooms 268 rooms including 5 types Superior, Junior Suite, Superior Junior Suite, Deluxe Junior Suite and Beach Villas. Superior Junior Suites, Deluxe Junior Suites and Beach Villas are larger than the Junior Suite and Superior. Room facilities: King size four poster bed Air conditioning Ceiling fan Sitting area with desk Balcony or terrace Fully-equipped marble bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, separate shower, bidet, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Telephone in bathroom Don Pablo Collection amenities Bathrobe and slippers Radio alarm clock with iPod docking station Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Flat screen satellite TV Safe Mini-bar with alcoholic drinks Wifi Coffee-making facilities Ironing set 24 hour room service Evening downturn service Outdoor Jacuzzi (Deluxe Junior Suites) Butler service Pillow menu Aroma menu Beach Villas: Seafront location with outdoor Jacuzzi, pillow menu available on request, baggage unpacking and ironing service, laundry service (optional) Other services Medical and pharmacy service (additional charge for both) Stores in the hotel Heliport and private boat (available on request for an additional charge) Mainland reception and transfer by boat (included in the booking fee) Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TravelUp, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Hotel
- Cayo Levantado Samana
- Cayo Levantado Dominican Republic
- Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado
- Cayo Levantado Hotel Samana
- Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection Dominican Republic/Samana