“An Exhausting Blast!”

Explore Samana Day Tours
Ranked #52 of 63 Tours in Samana Province
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore Samana with us! Best of the Peninsula with Domingo, born and raised here, and Laura who adds the personal touch! They have their own horseback riding ranch for great riding adventures, they can take you to El Limon, Los Haitisis National Park for a beautiful boat ride, and exploring, a relaxed tour of the city and peninsula, Jardin Tropical Samana, beaches, more. Certified, all inclusive half day and full day tours. Spanish and English.
Reviewed 16 August 2016

This excursion was really worth it even though I was terrified I was going to fall off my horse!! The plane ride was great and I got a lot of great pictures of the view. The horse ride down was about an hour and it was very rocky and muddy in most places. But your horse is directed by a tour guide who owns the horse. Once you got off your horse, you had to walk down about 150 steps to the waterfall which was beautiful!!! My tour guide held my hand almost the whole way so that i wouldn't slip and fall! Every tour guide was extremely nice and helpful. After that we went back and had a really nice lunch, then got on a boat and rode to Bacardi Island where we were able to enjoy the beach and relax before we headed back! If you decide to take this excursion here are some important tips:

- Bring plenty of cash! I wished I would have brought more to tip everyone. I know the excursion is pricy but these people are working their butts off especially your tour guide who is getting you up and down safely. He even held my bags while I swam and washed my feet off!! I'm not even sure if they get paid to do this and this is probably their only job that they do 1-2 times a week! There will also be children who run up to the tour truck and give you flowers...bring coins or dollar bills for them...you will also have your main tour guide and a photographer who rides up and down with you taking pictures....it's a 12 hour excursion so that's the only tips they get for the day.

-These horses are small so if you are overweight you might not want to go. Walking down the steps will wear you out so if you have health issues I wouldn't go. I'm very athletic and I had to pause in the middle of them. I was sore the next day.

-They give you boots but no socks, backpack is a must

I loved it and I Hope this helps!!

Reviewed 23 October 2015

There is so much to say about this place! I was able to sit co-pilot on the private plane and it was such a scenic view! The moment you get off the plane you're greeted with their signature drink! They also give samples of their home-grown-homemade coffee, hot chocolate, honey, mango, pineapple, and a lesson of how some items are harvested. Next you ride a horse for about an hour to a waterfall. The Horse ride was by far my favorite! My guide let me run with mine, he was amazing and helped my friends swim into the cave! The guides are super sweet and very accommodating. They took so many pictures of us, too. They work for tips. Please be generous, the horse guides are what make the event amazing!! The waterfall was beautiful. There is a cave inside the waterfall that you're able to swim to. The lunch is authentic mouthwatering Dominican deliciousness! The bus ride to the shore was beautiful, too, you get to see the real DR, not just the expensive resort version. The boat ride to the small island is entertaining with live music! Once at the beach get ready to relax and enjoy! Bring goggles (and water shoes if you swim out to the large rock). You can see brightly colored sea life by the rock. If you can tread water, even better! If you can't, be cautious when you walk by the rock as there are sea urchins. If you stay away from the rock your toes can roam free as it is all sand. The water is beautiful and untouched! You can also buy a lot of items on the beach. The people are super nice and truly make this event worth every penny! If no one else, tip you're horse guide!! Take your plane pictures on the way to Samana because on the way back, you'll likely take a nap like exhausted children after a long day at the park!

3  Thank Ariella-Sea
Reviewed 11 October 2015

I chose to go to el limon as a spur of the moment decision. I love to go horseback riding. I love visiting water falls and I love challenging hikes. How could I not go there?
I am not a 'seasoned' traveler, although I have been seasoned by the travels I have experienced. I have learned enough to know that the whole world does not work like it does at home.
I felt captured by every experience. The horses, so different than what I grew up with. Lethargic and beaten. No ounce of energy. Helmets not necessary, as you ain't going anywhere fast! The trail however was beautiful. and rough and rocky. I would rather hike it then ride it! or yes, take a fresh mule. The vegetation was magnificent. My guide Francesca was a lovely young woman who pointed out much and continued a pleasant conversation with our odd mix of english and spanish.
It is an arduous hike/pony ride. I recommend that you dress for it. High heeled shoes and long dresses are inappropriate. Also, if you have health/heart issues, prepare accordingly.
I witnessed a scary scene with an overweight woman wearing a long dress, collapsing in the heat whilst riding atop her sad little pony. We were returning to the tour bus, and guess what? She had no water! I gave her my water and alerted the guides as to her condition.
If you go there expecting the luxuries of home, you will be disappointed. Go prepared and know in your heart that this was the adventure that found you.

Reviewed 19 September 2015

We booked this trip at our hotel. It came highly recommended by the Expedia rep.
We were picked up at our hotel at 6.30 am and driven to the airport. Here we waited over 1 hour 30 minutes before getting on the flight. Their was not safety procedure on the plane which looked old and had seen better days. We felt very unsafe. We then took a very uncomfortable open sided bus up the mountains . The terrain was rough the seats hard. This certainly did not help my back. We were then stop at a typical Dominican house which was no more than an opportunity to sell their goods. Their was no sign of any house! This was proceeded by another uncomfortable bus ride to the Horseback riding. These poor horses were beaten down a very rough and muddy track . On arrival to the waterfall they were left standing with no offer of water on a very hot day. To get to the waterfall you had to walk down over 200 steps and of course back up, before climbing back on the horse to return over the same dangerous ground.
From there we took another hairy ride on the bus back down the mountain to have lunch. This was very average . Onto the catamaran which was a speed boat with benches . It took us to an Island which was nothing special. We had to spend 3 hours there . Boring to say the least. Returning on the speed to the bus and back to the horrendous plane ride.
This trip is a rip off. Not recommended !

2  Thank Caz M