I'm a little late writing this review, but I thought it might help others if I jotted something down. My wife & I stayed for a week at Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa in early April 2011.
The Hotel is very unique. It has an elegance, old world charm to it. Be prepared for a lot of walking and steps to climb. (although a tram will pick you up, if required) With the Hotel being built on a hill, you get fantastic tropical views of the city of Samana and the ocean. The resort has more of a tropical feel to it, than other resorts that I have stayed. Also having an elevator ride to take you to the beach, is unique. The beach area is quiet, but would only get an average rating compared to other Dominican beaches. (not very picturesque, with the brown sand)
The weakness of the resort is the 'a' la carte' restaurants. Although the resort does try, they are not very appetizing, in my opinion.
The buffet, however, was well done and always had a good variety.
Only pick this resort, if you enjoy a quiet nightlife. We loved having a quiet evening drink, listening to the local music, while overlooking the lights of Samana.
Make sure you talk to "Raymond' at the end of the beach, if you want to experience some great excursions. This is a real strength of the Hotel. The proximity of worthwhile excursions, that give you a taste of the beauty of the Dominican Republic. "Raymond" at the end of the Beach will set you up with memorable excursion to "El Lemon Falls" (not to be missed, but be warned there are some steep steps) & the day trip to Gran Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Island. Although you can not enter the resort, the beach on this island is postcard worthy. Raymond's boat takes about 15 minutes from the mainland to the island & then you get to spend the day on a white sand, tropical beach with turquoise water. (it was a great day) Next time we visit, we plan to see the humpback whales.
Overall, the beauty & charm of the hotel will make it an easy decision to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: Main pool with Jacuzzi surrounded by a sun terrace 3 beachside hydromassage tubs Loungers, sun umbrellas and towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Water activity centre WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) Wedding gazebo Buffet-style main restaurant and 3 speciality restaurants 4 bars, cocktail lounge, chill out zone, 1 snack bar Sports facilities: gym Pueblo Principe: Shopping and leisure mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars and disco. Rooms: 295 rooms including 4 types: Standard, Standard with Sea View, Superior Junior Suite and Club Golden Junior Suite. Junior Suites are larger than Standard rooms. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, hair dryer and magnifying mirror. Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) Terrace WiFi (additional charge) Junior Suite: sitting area, sofa-bed and ironing set Club Golden Junior Suites (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Park Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Auditorium for corporate meetings Panoramic lifts Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Evoline ltd, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa Hotel
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa Samana
- Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa Dominican Republic/Samana