“Exceptional!!!”

Dining options: Reservations
United Kingdom
“Exceptional!!!”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I had a few doubts over this place, having read the reviews on TripAdvisor, where it seemed to have gone 50-50. We were celebrating a birthday and decided to go check the place, the menu and price as this was not available online (something the management can do to improve adverts and attract more customers!). The management was very warm to us, and that definitely allowed us to choose to go there. We hadn't made up our minds yet, as there was a 7 course meal at a slightly expensive price, and a teaser of the 7 course meal, which was a 5 course meal at a much cheaper price. They gave us a contact number and said we can call if we still want to come, or just walk in before 9.00pm. After a few hours, we decided we would go back and share a 7 course and a 5 course meal between the 2 of us. We got there, and there was a nice warm ambient light, only 3 tables taken and we were walked to the end of the room, where it was quieter. We started off with a piece of bread that you get to choose from 4 different kinds (white, wholewheat, carrot and olives) and butter with herbs. We ordered 2 fruit mocktails, which were good. We were served a piece of Coocoo with sweet chili sauce - it was amazing, I wanted more! My starter was a Trio of Flying Fish, each prepared differently - the fish cake was a 10/10, and presentation was very well done! Next was a Seafood Chowder, which was pretty tasty as well. At that point I was already full, as the chowder was a big plate! Then we moved on to an Orange Sorbet, which sadly lacked a bit of taste - it was a bit too watery and had melted a bit before being served. Main course: Roasted Beef Tenderloin - probably one of the best meals I have ever had, and definitely the best beef I have tried - it was juicy, it melted in my mouth, almost as soft as the mashed potatoes that it came with. On to desserts, and I picked the Dark chocolate Souffle, which sadly had already popped, just like in a previous review. It was my first ever souffle, but it tasted like heaven! Lastly, I ended the night with a brewed Coffee, and it was quite nice. Now, during the whole evening, there was a band playing and with a few romantic songs at time for a pleasurable evening. Service was 10/10 - everyone had a smile on their face and attended to us multiple times asking if we needed anything. We exchanged some local stories with them too, and it felt very friendly. Food came very quickly, too quickly at times as I wished I had more time to let the food in my stomach sit for a bit. Now to top it all, I was in touch with them by email since a day before, and I had asked if they had anything special that they can make for one's birthday - they said they would take of it - and they sure did! After our desserts, I was myself doubly surprised to see this beautiful round chocolate cake, with Happy Birthday written on a marzipan top, with a candle to reach our table - I had completely forgotten about my request, hence my double surprise!! We couldn't touch it, as we were so full, so we asked to wrap it up for home. We asked for the bill, and we paid £100 including tax and service charge - we were not charged for the cake!

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank FazzersN

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An unfinished masterpiece”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

First let me say, my companion and I very much enjoyed our dinner at Oliver's.
Thus far it is easily the best dining experience we have experienced in Grenada.
Why then " unfinished masterpiece"?
The devil is in the details. First- the minor.
The white ice lemon sorbet lacked a garnish
of lemon twist to make it more appealing.
The restaurant is overlit by too many fixtures housing energy saver fluorescents.
Fewer lights or dimable halogens are called for.
Both of our chocolate desert souffles arrived collapsed. Not enough filling inside to support the top.
Taste however was excellent and the accompanying home made cinnamon ice cream was heaven on a plate.
The appetizer of Mahi Mahi on a breadfruit rissoto was perfectly cooked and seasoned.
Full marks too for the mains.
Just a few small brushstrokes and Oliver's could be a true masterpiece worthy of the price the menu commands.
I would gladly recommend it especially when I compare it to much lesser restaurants in the area.
Overall 4 stars.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Globalgormand
Hove, United Kingdom
“Lavish surroundings but very poor food”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

After recently staying on the beautiful Caribbean Island of Grenada we thought we'd treat ourselves to an evening at Oliver's restaurant at the Spice Island resort. The resort definitely has the 'Wow' factor on arrival and we were really looking forward to our evening in these lavish surroundings.

We decided to start with a cocktail at the bar and were served fairly quickly by the barman but on asking for some crisps or nuts we were quite rudely told that we would have to wait as they were loading the dishwasher and very busy! We thought this was a bit unnecessary and that we had got off to a bad start but decided to enjoy our drinks and go in for dinner.

Quite a small set menu, no a la carte and our starters arrived much too quickly to have been freshly prepared. In fact they arrived long before the bottle of wine that we had ordered. The main course, a local style hen, was pathetic. It was the tiniest piece of tough, dried up sparrow I think served with a potato layer which was greyish black when I cut it open. I mentioned it to the waitress and was given a dirty look and she sulked off to the kitchen. On her return she told me it wasn't potato but another local vegetable that was supposed to be that colour - interestingly it took a trip to the kitchen to learn this! The dessert, a layered chocolate mousse which tasted of nothing.

The bill, including the 2 cocktails, £200 for 2!

In summary lavish surroundings, some rude and arrogant staff serving canteen preprepared food. We had dined at several other restaurants on the Island with delicious food and the most polite and friendly staff, most notably the Beach House twice - fantastic.

• Visited March 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
“A Restaurant which deserves an "Excellent"”
Reviewed 27 February 2013

What a wonderful evening with a meal comparable with many of the best restaurants in Europe and the Far East. Location - on the beach with the gentle background noise of breaking waves. Decor - simple functional dining area giving the impression of dining outside. Menu - enough variety for each course yet not pretentious. Food quality - all excellent; my tenderloin was one of the best I have had (includes many meals in the USA). Service -smooth, efficient without being pretentious. Price - well worth the $100+ a head.

• Visited February 2013
norfolk
“What a disappointment”
Reviewed 11 January 2013

We booked Olivers for Christmas Day (evening) with fairly high hopes given it is a 5 star resort. When we arrived there was some chaos with guests being shown to their tables. At no time was it suggested that we might like to sit elsewhere and have an aperitif. Once at the table we asked for two glasses of champagne. Couldn't have one! Only bottles were available even at Christmas. We were told we could have a glass of prosseco but then even that was not available. We were reluctantly served a glass of Californian fizz.
There was only a set taster menu of 5 courses. The first of Tuna was very nice and so we were looking forward to the rest of the meal. The next course was soup, squash or conch. It came in a massive soup bowl and although the squash was okay, there was far too much. The conch was more like a substantial broth and wasn't particularly nice. We ate only a small amount for fear of spoiling our appetite . Next was a blackened chicken salad or sorbet. The chicken was in edible. It tasted of rancid fat, was extremely dry and set on a bed of boring shredded lettuce, that looked liked it had been tipped out of a packet. My full plate on collection summoned attention and there were apologies but I am afraid the foul taste was still in my mouth. The next course was lobster. It was only ok. Finally we opted for cheese. My husband thought he'd had better on British Airways! to be fair they did reduce the bill but with wine it still came to over £200. Luckily we had had a good meal at Rhodes the night before so Christmas wasn't totally spoilt. We had considered Spice Island as a substitute resort after La Source was closed. We are very glad we didn't.

• Visited December 2012