Grand View Inn
US$296
Hotels.com
Excellent 5/5
Caribbean Breeze(St. George's)
Le Phare Bleu(Petite Calivigny)
  • Pool
Very Good 4/5
    SeaBreeze Hotel(Grand Anse)
    Great 4.5/5
    See what travellers are saying:
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 20 April 2008

I stayed at the Grand View for over a month. I managed to beat down the price to 500 US for a month. This hotel caters mainly to long term guests, many of whom are students at the St. Georges University.
    The View was GRAND but the hotel has many problems. The maid service was dodgy. At one point it was a week between cleanings. What spoiled the stay for me though was the total lack of hot water during my stay. The management´s response to my complaints would be to lie about it being fixed, but it never was. The hotel has a pool, but I never used it as two beautiful beaches are within minutes walking distance. However, the hotel is perched on a steep hill, and you should be prepared for a little sweat, unless you rent a car.
    Staff at he hotel were generally friendly, if a little inept, but then it is the Caribbean and all too often badly trained staff is the norm.

All this having been said, my room was reasonably nice, airconditioned, with cable tv and clean and I would recommend the hotel to any budget savy traveller. Hopefully the ownership of the hotel will pass on to a owner who cares more for his property as it is one of the best views on the island.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
    Reviewed 2 February 2008

First of all, we didn't even stay there. We checked in at 11 a.m. and checked out at 2 p.m. after securing better accommodations elsewhere. I'd read the reviews that weren't exactly positive, but was sold on their pretty enticing website. The view is in fact fantastic, but that's where all similarities to the website ends. The place is a bit run down, and the housekeeper didn't do that good a job with preparing the room. Despite whatever attempts to clean the room, the actual conditions of the bathroom and most of the furniture really needs serious attention. I'm not a germaphobe, but even the most open minded person wouldn't feel comfortable in those conditions. Accessibility is also a bit though as there are quite alot of stairs to go down to the rooms (so pack light). The swimming pool also is in serious need of a cleaning, as it is coated in biological growth. Thankfully the staff is friendly and understanding enough to have refunded our advance payment to continue our vacation elsewhere. Great view, but not worth the discomfort.

Stayed: February 2008
    1  Thank Renee D
    Reviewed 11 January 2008

This could be a very nice place to stay. The views and the staff are wonderful; and if you don't mind a somewhat noisy environment where you are staying, it is a quite nice hotel. However, if almost around the clock noise bothers you, you should probably stay somewhere else, unless you have no other choices, or you happened to bring a couple of good sets of earplugs. So don't expect to sit on the pleasant balcony listening to the waves; more often than not you will instead be listening to the loud, distracting noises coming through the apparently much too thin walls. It's too bad, because the Grand View has the possibility of being a very pleasant place to stay. Again, if noise bothers you, and you have other options, go somewhere else. If noise doesn't bother you, come right in, turn the TV way up... you're home.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
    3  Thank GoodOldOscar
    Reviewed 19 May 2007

This hotel was a little run down. The bathroom especially left little to be desired.
    The best part of the hotel was the beach it overlooked, fantastic and although on a hill it was a short walk away.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
    2  Thank SunnyCape
    Reviewed 22 August 2006

Grand View….where should I start…I stayed at the hotel with a group of 42 from August 13th to 20th 2006. On arrival we were processed and got our room keys. Only to discover that there was no electricity on our block. The electricity was on and off every 10 minutes for the first four days. It seems that the hotel can’t cope with full occupancy and electricity isn’t good on the block I was in, The staff are well mannered and friendly. One day, the manager came by as as the occupants of my room to turn off the air condition and we asked why and she said just turn off the damn AC. I was like WHAT? You can’t treat guests like that and you most certainly cannot tell them what they can and cannot do in their rooms after all, they paid for them. The biggest joke is that their restaurant Pirates Cove is widely advertised on their website. What they fail to tell people is that the restaurant is closed because it is still demolished from Hurricane Ivan in 2004. The rooms are clean and the views are excellent. But I hate staying at places where you are misled before arrival. The location isn’t the best as St. Georges is 20 minutes away and the Spiceland Mall is 12 minutes walk away. Coyaba Beach Resort is a better choice.

• Stayed: August 2006