“Horrible experience and customer service - do not stay here!”
Review of Maca Bana

Maca Bana
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in St. George's
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I am shocked that this hotel has so many positive reviews! The rooms are so removed from luxuruious that they are almost uncomfortable. The location is super close to the airport and not at all peaceful. It is also very remote and difficult to travel elsewhere on the island, especially for dinner once it is dark. This almost forces one to eat at the restaurant. The restaurant is overpriced and the food not at all up to par with the prices. I knew that we would have to climb up and down to the beach, but I did think that climb would be worth it. The beach leaves much to be desired and is super rocky! If it is the beach that you are after than you will need to travel each day as we did away from the hotel. Not at all what I was expecting. The hotels "green" features were well intended but a bit over the top as far as finding a good balance between going green and accomodating the guests. For as much as a room here costs per night, one would expect to still be able to feel the shower water - meaning no pressure whatsover. Not ideal after spending the day on the beach! Also had an issue with bugs in the room - we were both covered in new bites each morning. I would have given this hotel 3 stars - I do not believe that I have ever left a one star review - had it not been for the horrible exeriences that we encountered with the staff at this hotel. Never in my travels have I been treated so rudely and encounted a manager that was so "fake." He may greet you with smiles and "warmth" but right under the surface is an incredibly selfish person that really only cares about the bottom line. If you are looking for genuniue, you will not find it here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
12  Thank infinitelove8

Reviewed 18 February 2014

My wife and I spent some time in the avocado villa and absolutely loved it! I have been in hotels on every continent and this is hands down the best overall experience I've had thus far. This is truly Grenada's best kept secret!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
MacaBana, General Manager at Maca Bana, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Podie,

Thank you for your kind words! We were so delighted that you chose Maca Bana for your honeymoon retreat, and very glad that you enjoyed the experience to the fullest.

Congratulations again and many happy returns to you both!

The Maca Bana Team

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Just finished a lovely week here, with two small kids aged 3 and nearly 5. Maca Bana deserves the great reviews it already has.

If you've got small kids, take their advice and stay in the Pineapple villa. Doesn't have the sheer views of the villas on the cliff edge, but it still has a great view to die for (better than we expected) - and it's obviously much safer! No danger of them wandering off as far as the cliff, so just a little drop off the rent of the garden to make sure they avoid. So no safety worries, and tonnes of benefits: great jacuzzi in front that they basically lived in, riot next to the pool which is small but lovely with awesome view, closest to the path down to the restaurant and beach, and a lovely villa too. Everything you need. Nice touches too like the Nespresso coffee machine, giant fridge freezer, lovely dining area outside, great hammock, etc.

The Maca Bana staff, Raeanna and Nickson, were great. Nothing was a problem. And the best part about this place (apart from the views) was the Aquarium and beach combo at the bottom of the hill. Aquarium has great food, good bar, lovely staff, turtles for kids to feed...! And its situation is great. A really lovely corner of a beautiful beach, far enough away from the Rex hotel at the other end of the beach, and a very far cry from the busy touristy Grand Anse beach further up the coast.

In short, we can't fault it. Even with small kids. This may not be a hotel with kids club and other things to occupy kids. But ours used up half of every day with jacuzzi, beach and turtles alone! Maca Bana is not cheap either, clearly. But it worked a treat for us for a week. And it would be great for couples too, especially if you get one of the small villas near the cliff edge with awesome views (and far enough away from anyone like us with kids in Pineapple!).

I'd recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Bob D
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at Maca Bana for our honeymoon this past October. Let me start by saying that the service was expectional from the moment we arrived until the moment we departed. Upon arrival, we were greeted by the owner and given a tour of our villa, Coconut. During the course of our stay, the manager, Nickson, was readily available to assist us with all of our needs. Every staff member that we encountered was very friendly and courteous. Our villa was very spacious, clean and secluded; perfect for a honeymooning couple. The view from our patio, where we enjoyed a chef-prepared breakfast every morning, was more than words can describe! We spent most of our time on Magazine beach, which was absolutely amazing! Most days it was only my wife and I on the beach. Maca Bana provided us with beach chairs as wells as snorkel gear. The snorkeling was quite enjoyable. The Aquarium restaurant provided excellent drinks and lunch as well. We also frequented the restaurant for several great dinners. Nickson also arranged for us to have a rental car, so that we could enjoy the rest of the beautiful island. I do recommend a rental car, as Grenada has much to offer. Overall, the location, service, and dining was excellent! It not only met, but exceeded, our expectations. It was the perfect honeymoon! Thank you again to Nickson and the rest of the Maca Bana and Aquarium staff!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Iadarola1012
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Maca Bana is a fabulous place to stay, private and restful. The restaurant by the beach is wonderful, please try it. A car is useful to get around as its a bit away from St Georges. The team at Maca Bana could not be more helpful & I would recommend it to anyone. The only slight glitch was the Wi-Fi which was a tad intermittent but don't go there to work - just enjoy! It is fabulous!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 December 2013

My husband and I were looking for somewhere to go for our wedding anniversary this year, and Nickson sealed the deal for us with his exceptional service and salesmanship. We stayed 2 nights at the Paw Paw Villa, and it was simply amazing! We're Grenadian nationals and it was great to get away from the bustle of our daily rotuine and just relax for a while. From waking up to breathtaking views to rejuvenating in our personal hot tub at nights, Maca Bana proved that you don't need to travel to experience luxury. Our only regret is that we had to return to work, but we talk about returning to the Paw Paw Villa all the time. Such an awesome experience!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, but the views from the Paw Paw Villa are unrivalled!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2013

All of my expectations were met or exceeded. The staff, while very responsive to our needs, were never obtrusive. Very friendly and efficient. Nickson is gold! The location of the resort may be a little isolated, however, a short 15 minute, and inexpensive $40.00 EC or $16.00 US, taxi ride put us in the middle of St. George's. We came to really appreciate the peace and quiet that came with the remoteness. The kitchen was stocked with fruit, eggs, coffee, tea, bread, and meat and cheese that lasted us several days. Very convenient. The room (Paw Paw) was well-appointed and had an absolutely beautiful view. We had a very good lunch at the Aquarium restaurant and thought the service was great. Having travelled in the Caribbean before, I was aware of the need to adjust to "island time" while here and not feel the need to rush along. I am planning on returning to Maca Bana with friends soon.

Room Tip: For couples Paw Paw cannot be beat. There is a walk up a hill to get back from the beach but easily...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank don s
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. George's
Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel
Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel
#1 of 4 in Lance aux Epines
True Blue Bay Boutique Resort
Petite Anse Beachfront Hotel & Restaurant Grenada
Petite Anse Beachfront Hotel & R...
#1 of 1 in Saint Patrick Parish
Le Phare Bleu Boutique Hotel & Marina
Le Phare Bleu Boutique Hotel & M...
#1 of 1 in Petite Calivigny
Mount Cinnamon Resort & Beach Club
Spice Island Beach Resort
Spice Island Beach Resort
#1 of 11 in Grand Anse

Been to Maca Bana? Share your experiences!