“Highly Recommended”
Review of Y Talbot

Y Talbot
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tregaron
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Stayed for one night after a wedding reception here in August. Hotel managed the reception incredibly well....for a function catering for over 100 people, the wedding breakfast was outstanding and the quality of the food was excellent. We ate in the restaurant the following day and, again, the food was fabulous. Our bedroom was enormous with a cavernous double bed and lovely crispy bed linen. Room had been very sympathetically refurbished in a contemporary style, but retaining a lovely old fireplace. Bathroom was huge, very well appointed and spotlessly clean. The hotel has been very well refurbished and extended, but has retained a lot of its charm, including a traditional and very cosy pub, which also serves bar meals if you fancy something a little less formal than the main restaurant. Staff were, without exception, incredibly friendly and helpful. Can't really find anything to fault! A little spot of luxury deep in the heart of Wales!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 July 2013

There was no one around to deal with my check-in at reception or in the barn when I arrived which didn't set me off in a good mood after a long drive but I understand that with only one member of staff on duty they can't be everywhere at once. I had booked a basic twin room as I was trying to keep my costs down. The room was fairly shabby but OK - until the strange extractor pipe in the corner started humming very loudly. I asked if I could move rooms and was given money off an upgrade to a superior double room. This was absolutely gorgeous and worth every penny. I had dinner which was delicious and very good value with excellent service from the barman. I asked for an early breakfast (15 mins earlier than standard) as I had had an early meeting to get to but when I got down in the morning no one was there and the dining room was in darkness. I would recommend Y Talbot, and would happily stay there again as I think I was just a bit unlucky, I'm sorry that on the basis of the one night I stayed I can only rate it as average but I need to be honest about my experience.

Room Tip: Avoid the basic twin room, the superior double I moved to was wonderful.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Mick T, Owner at Y Talbot, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Thanks for your feedback. We aim to provide prompt and helpful check ins and check outs by staffing reception from 7.45am to late evening, apologies for not achieving that on your visit- even with full time cover there will be staff breaks etc which can leave a gap.
Concerning your room we have redecorated and refurnished our five Standard rooms recently and the extractor pipe has now been boxed in and sound proofed. Our Standard rooms offer good quality accomodation at an economical price whilst our eight Superior rooms and suites have been totally renovated to offer luxury bathrooms and a very comfortable and stylish room, priced at a premium to our standard rooms accordingly.
We look forward to seeing you again and hope that you will be delighted by your next visit.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Beautiful hotel with old fashion charm and style. Great location and very lovely hotel. Clean and spacious room filled with charm and charecter. Staff friendly and helpfull. Bar resturant fantastic highly recommend eating there. Quality of food outstanding

Room Tip: Top floor suites wonderfull
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Just spent two nights here with a bunch of fellow bikers. The welcome was superb, rooms are some of the nicest I have ever stayed in and the food is great. Then to top it all, the hotel is also the local pub, with a good selection of beers and ciders and full of locals all having a good time.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

On our annual pilgrimage to Tregaron with our bike club. Fantastic welcome, great service and can really see how much work the owners have put in to make this hotel 4* quality with a family touch. Would suit walkers, cyclists or anyone who loves the beautiful scenery around here. Food is worth the trip too!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I stayed at Y Talbot for a 2-night week-end break, made booking direct on their website and swapped emails to confirm my booking etc...

The room was comfortable and it had a good size bathroom, the tv was a bit small but the hotel rooms are being updated. However, I was busy visiting local places so watching tv wasn't on my "to do" list!

Welsh Breakfast was freshly cooked to order and there was a selection of cereals, fruits and yoghurts available. There is also a pub and restaurant at the hotel.

Hotel owners and staff were friendly and helpful. They even post my credit card back to me after I'd left it on reception.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2013

popped in for Sunday lunch . Good welcome, nice guest beer Hazy days from the great Hereford Brewery
Had a large and very nice Sunday roast and friends had imaginative vegetarian dishes of Aubergine and a stuffed pasta dish.
Beautiful sunny day and great locals. Looks like some renovation work outside still in progress but well worth a visit

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tregaron
The Falcondale Hotel
#10 of 13 in Aberystwyth
Gwesty Cymru
Gwesty Cymru
#1 of 13 in Aberystwyth

Been to Y Talbot? Share your experiences!