“Great food and excellent service - pity about the beer”
Review of Y Talbot

Y Talbot
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tregaron
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Great food and excellent service - pity about the beer”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Travelling through Wales and called in at Tregaron at lunch time.
We have eaten at Y Talbot before and so new what we would expect.
The hotel lived up to expectation on service, food quality, welcome, cleanliness....
Sadly there was no Welsh beer - they apparently had an "English beer week"
We were very disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jkblue
Mick T, Owner at Y Talbot, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Thanks for visiting and delighted that you enjoyed your meal. As you know we specialise in top quality ales from Welsh micro breweries sourced from within 50 miles of Tregaron but also have occasional special weeks-last week we had a Burton Ale week featuring four classic Burton ales. We are very proud of the excellent Welsh breweries that we support and encourage (next week we will be serving two ales from the new Mantle brewery in Ceredigion).

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Frieth, Oxon. UK
Reviewed 3 September 2013

As one of the organisers of a touring event for 60 pre-war cars (120 people) we needed to find a suitable lunch stop midway through a tour of the Cambrian mountains.

We stumbled over Y Talbot and are so pleased we did so! In the slightly remote town of Tregaron here is a hotel that can cater for groups of our size with ease.

The hotel management is friendly and professional and their catering is extremely good - and also so generous that we were sent on our ways with doggie bags!

They were catering for a wedding party straight after our visit, all of which they took in their stride.

The hotel and its bedrooms have recently had a makeover and the rooms are stylishly and comfortably appointed.

I returned 2 days later with my wife and we enjoyed a very pleasant bar meal - nice menu, good choice of dishes. Would I re-visit? Definitely!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
oxon
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I only stayed for one night in a single room but this hotel seemed to get everything right.
I ate in the bar which was rather busy however service and quality were fine. Probably
should have gone into the restaurant for a bit more space. room had small flat screen TV
kettle with tea and coffee, however no bath. A few tables outside the bar area overlook the town square. Breakfast was substantial.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

My husband had stayed there previously and his room had been one of the newly 'done up' ones at the posh end of the hotel.
He was sufficiently thrilled with it to suggest we go back together. Plush, he said; great food, he said; lots of attention to detail, he said. Book us in, I said.
Anyway, booked in once again for work he was in the older part of the hotel - sparklingly clean but a little unloved. That said, we had the kind of room the Americans would call 'quaint'.
I ended up staying with him because... well, long story.
If we'd booked independently, we would have known to ask for a room at the "other" end. As my appearance was an impromptu one, we just were glad of a huge comfy bed and Jacuzzi bath.
So what if the floor flooded because the shower curtain didn't quite fit right?
There were plenty of towels to mop it up.
And so what if the wardrobe door came off in his hand when he went to look for another pillow?
Bit of balancing in the morning, and it was fine.
Previously we'd had food in the main bar, a dark and lovely space that just drips in nostalgia.
This time, we pushed the boat out and headed for the restaurant - it's a swankier setting, but the menu's the same as you'll find in the bar.
Again situated in the posh part, it was just brilliant and some of the best restaurant food we've had.
A table for two in a room which became quite busy due to a wedding party, we weren't kept waiting for anything.
The portions were generous and simply delicious. Ever had smoky mashed potatoes? Try them here first, and make sure you have it with the chicken. I could have had 2 plates of it and still have been in a dream land made up of spuds and meat and veg done good
The wardrobe breaker had duck comfit which was very good. We followed it with two slabs of strawberry cheesecake, a thin band of chocolate running on top of the biscuit base a surprise that worked.
Breakfast in the morning was lovely too - only one criticism, please sort out the toaster,
At the breakfast bar, which groaned under the weight of the usual cereal/fruit/pastry combos, there was a self-service toaster.
It took 76 years for my two slices of brown to do. I could have gone back up and fixed the wardrobe door by the time it took to pop out if I'd thought about it.
But we'll be back - what better recommendation is there than that?
And we'll ask for a room on the posh side.
And we'll definitely eat in the just brilliant restaurant again.
And I think I'll make do without the toast.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly done up ones. You won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Mick T, Owner at Y Talbot, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Thanks for your review. You stayed in our last unrenovated Standard Double Room which will close for renovation next week to emerge as a Superior Double Room early next year. Needless to say the wardrobe will also be retired-but thanks for fixing the door!
Delighted that you enjoyed both the food and the ambience and that you will visit us again. With all our nine superior rooms and suites renovated to the same high specification it won't matter where you stay in the hotel and our renovated rooms are proving very popular, if in any doubt please give us a ring.
Channel Islands, UK
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Stayed for one night after a wedding reception here in August. Hotel managed the reception incredibly well....for a function catering for over 100 people, the wedding breakfast was outstanding and the quality of the food was excellent. We ate in the restaurant the following day and, again, the food was fabulous. Our bedroom was enormous with a cavernous double bed and lovely crispy bed linen. Room had been very sympathetically refurbished in a contemporary style, but retaining a lovely old fireplace. Bathroom was huge, very well appointed and spotlessly clean. The hotel has been very well refurbished and extended, but has retained a lot of its charm, including a traditional and very cosy pub, which also serves bar meals if you fancy something a little less formal than the main restaurant. Staff were, without exception, incredibly friendly and helpful. Can't really find anything to fault! A little spot of luxury deep in the heart of Wales!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

There was no one around to deal with my check-in at reception or in the barn when I arrived which didn't set me off in a good mood after a long drive but I understand that with only one member of staff on duty they can't be everywhere at once. I had booked a basic twin room as I was trying to keep my costs down. The room was fairly shabby but OK - until the strange extractor pipe in the corner started humming very loudly. I asked if I could move rooms and was given money off an upgrade to a superior double room. This was absolutely gorgeous and worth every penny. I had dinner which was delicious and very good value with excellent service from the barman. I asked for an early breakfast (15 mins earlier than standard) as I had had an early meeting to get to but when I got down in the morning no one was there and the dining room was in darkness. I would recommend Y Talbot, and would happily stay there again as I think I was just a bit unlucky, I'm sorry that on the basis of the one night I stayed I can only rate it as average but I need to be honest about my experience.

Room Tip: Avoid the basic twin room, the superior double I moved to was wonderful.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Mick T, Owner at Y Talbot, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Thanks for your feedback. We aim to provide prompt and helpful check ins and check outs by staffing reception from 7.45am to late evening, apologies for not achieving that on your visit- even with full time cover there will be staff breaks etc which can leave a gap.
Concerning your room we have redecorated and refurnished our five Standard rooms recently and the extractor pipe has now been boxed in and sound proofed. Our Standard rooms offer good quality accomodation at an economical price whilst our eight Superior rooms and suites have been totally renovated to offer luxury bathrooms and a very comfortable and stylish room, priced at a premium to our standard rooms accordingly.
We look forward to seeing you again and hope that you will be delighted by your next visit.
mukilteo
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Beautiful hotel with old fashion charm and style. Great location and very lovely hotel. Clean and spacious room filled with charm and charecter. Staff friendly and helpfull. Bar resturant fantastic highly recommend eating there. Quality of food outstanding

Room Tip: Top floor suites wonderfull
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tregaron
The Falcondale Hotel
#1 of 13 in Aberystwyth
Castle Hotel
Castle Hotel
#2 of 2 in Aberaeron

Been to Y Talbot? Share your experiences!