“A welcome in the hillside”
Review of Y Talbot

Y Talbot
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tregaron
Tonbridge
“A welcome in the hillside”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I spent two nights at this friendly hotel in the Welsh hills last week, and it was a good choice.

Very reasonably priced , the standard room was simple but comfortable, spotlessley clean and with an excellent shower and plenty of hot water. I had dinner in the pub which is part of the hotel, nice friendly atmosphere and a good choice of beers and ciders at sensible prices. There was a very interesting and varied menu but I went for 'Pie of the day' , a fabulous lamb pie with creamy mash and perfectly cooked vegtables, it was so good I had the same meal the following night, that's a first. .
The breakfasts served in the bright and airey retaurant was the usual cereals, fruits, yoghurts, toasts etc but then a delicious hot selection , each item cooked to perfection and beautifully presented and served piping hot, by friendly and efficient staff.
Plenty of parking at the front and some around the back of the Hotel.

Room Tip: My room at the back of the hotel had very thin walls, front rooms might be better.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Derby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Myself and 2 friends booked Y Talbot as it was reviewed as welcoming bikers on the ukgser website. The booking was efficient, friendly and didnt ask for a deposit. We arrived late but the staff showed us where to park the bikes and even parked a car across the bikes to block them in overnight. Great. Some websites say the parking is secure. It is not. However the parking is at the rear of the inn and very secluded. We felt the bikes were quite safe. If y talbot wanted to improve this economically, some ground anchors would be very helpful to chain up the bikes to.
Once inside, the warm ambience of the inn was welcome after a day riding. We were shown our rooms quickly. The rooms were simple, clean and smart. The rooms were in the older part of the building I think but they were perfect.
We had dinner in the bar downstairs. The staff were attentive, the beer good, and the food outstanding and good value. I recommend the lamb pie.
I had a good nights sleep in room 5. The blue LED on the tele is a bit annoying as it casts a blue light around the room when on standby. Easily fixed by unplugging the tele.
Breakfast was held in a new part of the building. The room was smart and clean. Service was very good. There was juice, cereals, breads and pastries and a choice of cooked options. I had the full breakfast which was very satisfying.
On leving there was an issue with the bar tab from the night before. This was quickly resolved without hesitation by the staff.
This was a very enjoyable stay and I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Patrick M
Mick T, Owner at Y Talbot, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Thanks for your suggestion re anchors for bike locks in the car park, we welcome bikers and recognise that you can relax fully if you know that the bikes are completely secure. Fortunately you did not need to use our new drying room given the lovely weather that you enjoyed. We look forward to seeing you again at Y Talbot.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Had a treat of a weekend away in this quiet and beautiful part of Wales. The bar retains a lovely traditional feel and we decided to eat here instead of the dining room. Some excellent ales are served and I had the home made corned beef as a starter - sounds uninspiring but it was just sublime and a first for me. The duck confit was also excellent.

The room was lovely and old fashioned but - much to the disappointment of my other half - was due to be refurbished the next day.

Breakfast was excellent and served by more friendly staff and I was then able to but a day pass at reception to fish the waters run by the Tregaron Angling Association. The Teifi is righ on the doorstep but we drove to meet friends at the Teifi Pools.

A lovely experience and good value. Can't wait to return.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Just spent two nights at Y Talbot Hotel Tregaron for our 1st wedding anniversary and we were not disappointed. The last time we had stayed here was in 1998 and the place has been completely refurbished but hasn't lost any of its charm. We stayed in Room 10 and it was of a very high standard better than some 5* hotels I have previously stayed in. The room was very modern and splotless. The service was both friendly and professional. We ate in the restaurant both nights and the food was very good and well priced and the breakfast was delicious. and so was the real ale in the pub.

We shall not leave it so long next time.

Room Tip: Room 10 has recently been refurbished and has great views over the square
Caerdydd
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Y Talbot is a very well known place to visit in the beautiful & remote town of Tregaron, but until last weekend, I had not stayed there. It recently had a major refurbishment & I was concerned that it may have lost some of its charm. I had no need to worry.

New rooms of a very high standard have been added, along with an events room and a new restaurant, but it looks the same from the front vista, in the heart of the town square. What really struck me was the enthusiasm of the staff. They could not do enough for you, were nearly all local, most spoke fluent Welsh (important in a predominately Welsh speaking town) and there was a clear passion working for the business. Then, there is the bar! Now, it has to be said that I have been known to frequent several Welsh bars over the years, but the bar in Y Talbot is just a bit special. It is an old bar with an excellent choice of Welsh real ales and ciders, then there are the locals who are a genuinely friendly bunch and finally the fire. On a cold Winter's night, sitting in that bar next to that fire is something we should all try to experience. Finally, there is an excellent restaurant, serving a wide range of local produce-bilingually of course!

Tregaron and the surrounding area is one of those undiscovered parts of Wales that really appeals to me. Having an establishment of the quality and character of Y Talbot is a huge asset and I very much look forward to returning there soon. My only criticism? The first course in the restaurant was too big!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Cardiff, Wales
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed at The Talbot on a Saturday night in September and really enjoyed the stay. We had room no 1 which has been recently refurbished and it was lovely. Nice modern decor, very comfy bed and great wifi. Nice coffee too.

The bathroom was gorgeous with a very clean modern feel and a fantastic shower. My wife took photos and is now talking of doing our bathroom at home so this may end up a more expensive stay than planned.

Service throughout was really friendly and professional. We ate in the restaurant in the evening and the food was very nice and well priced - more pub food than restaurant food if that makes sense. We adjourned to the bar for the rest of the night and met some local characters. The pub seems to make a lot of effort to be a local affair as well as for the benefit of guests which is great to see,

Breakfast was delicious. We will come back again

Room Tip: Make sure you get one of the refurbished rooms.
1 Thank jstanton8869
Swansea, South Wales
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We didn't stay at the hotel but had meal there for our anniversary whilst staying in a cottage nearby. This hotel restaurant had been recommended by a few people so we thought we would treat ourselves for our anniversary.

All the staff were extremely nice, the place was clean and quite nice but the bill £90 for 2 bottles of wine, a bottle of water (£5!) 2 x starters, 2 x main courses, 1 dessert and a coffee!

My husband ordered a Steak medium rare, char-grilled with chips, mushrooms and tomatoes and I ordered a steak, medium, in a red wine sauce with green beans, field mushrooms and potatoes. The steaks were obviously the wrong way around as mine had a lot of blood in it and my husband's didn't. We couldn't swap them as there was sauce on mine. They offered to cook mine more but in my experience if you send a steak back because it is undercooked you usually end up with a cinder so I didn't bother.

We'll just mark this one up to experience!

1 Thank gorseinonite
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tregaron
The Falcondale Hotel
The Black Lion Royal Hotel
George Borrow Hotel
George Borrow Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ponterwyd

Been to Y Talbot? Share your experiences!