“The elephant's graveyard”
Review of Y Talbot

Y Talbot
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tregaron
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Y Talbot, or for those of you who don't speak Welsh, The Talbot (the 'Y' is pronounced 'uh', to rhyme with the, rather than wye).

On pulling into the car park at the rear of the hotel, it is immediately apparent that someone has made a substantial financial commitment to the place. The hotel has been extended greatly, the garden has been extensively landscaped, and there is even a (presumably bespoke) lamp post that draws on the fact that a travelling circus' elephant died in the town, and was buried in the grounds. Perhaps that goes some way to explaining the lushness of the garden.

Finding our way to reception from the back of the hotel was a bit of a trek that took you through the bar and lounge. We might have been quicker going back to the square and in through the front door. Minor point, but it's something you might want to remember if you're not travelling light.

The lad at reception kindly offered to help with the luggage, a facility you might wish to avail yourself of, as there are no lifts.

Up 2 flights of stairs that had the look of age about them to room 9, which overlooks the square. The room wasn't huge, but was by no means cramped, and was well appointed. Bags of electrical sockets, solid, well made furniture that had been spared the indignity of mdf, and one of the more comfortable hotel beds that I've slept in. It all felt and looked as though a good deal of money had been spent on it.

Freebies included a couple of bottles of local spring water, and bless the owners for this, proper ground coffee with a French press in which to brew it. Good on you.

The bathroom was almost as big as the room, and again looked and felt as though considerable sums of money had been spent on it. The shower was huge - I could get my not inconsiderable bulk in and out of it with ease - and, given that we were 3 stories up, very powerful. Actually, I think it might have been a downrated water cannon, it was that vigourous.
No bath, so if you like to wallow in your own dead skin, dried sweat etc, then you're out of luck.

Minor niggle, there was nowhere to hang a hand towel near the wash basin.

So, back down to ground level.

The bar has won CAMRA awards, and when we were there, it had 2 local ales on, and a selection of Welsh ciders. If they've got the Cwrw Teifi on when you're there, give it a go - I can heartily recommend it.

The lounge is in what looks to be the original part of the building,and is quite quirky as a consequence. Nothing plum or square, and stone walls that must be over a foot thick.

There is also a restaurant, comfortable but probably to open plan to be cozy. There is an extensive menu, and whereas it couldn't be considered cutting edge, it struck a good balance between offering something a bit different, without leaving the average punter intimidated by the food.

What was certainly not at issue was the quality. We dined there twice, and had really excellent, well prepared meals made from good quality ingredients both times.

My tip for dining there - leave room for one of their superb desserts.

Breakfast was also notable for its quality, and more than set you up for the day, but it did give rise to a couple of minor irritations. The first morning we came down for breakfast, everyone else at the hotel decided they wished to join us. This swamped the single waitress on duty. I don't mind waiting my turn, but I do get irritated when other later arrivals get served before me.

The other thing was, why have a toaster for the guests to use that doesn't work properly?

Anyway.

Overall, I slept well, dined extremely well and quaffed a irresponsible quantity of decent ale.

So did Mrs Griffiths.

Aruthrol!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John G
Mick T, Owner at Y Talbot, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

The elephant visited Tregaron with a travelling circus in July 1848 and unfortunately passed away after drinking contaminated water from a nearby well and was buried behind Y Talbot, we have left it to rest in peace! Fortunately the water quality is excellent these days but if in doubt stick to the beer. We look forward to welcoming you at Y Talbot again.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

The standard of the hotel is impeccable. Very clean rooms, comfortable beds, really good food. If you are fans of vegetarian burgers you cannot miss chickpea burger! Also exceptionally competent, friendly and helpful staff.
If you are staying in room 3 you might be unlucky to hear some noise of other guests. Not sure whether I should blame thin walls or snoring capability of the other guest however falling asleep was not so easy.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at Y Talbot several times now, the latest being 1 midweek night before early meetings the next day, (these were in Lampeter, an easy & very scenic 30 minute drive away).
As I was on my own, I booked room 9 on the 2nd floor, overlooking the square. This is smaller than several of the other rooms I've stayed in but just as nicely furnished & still with a big ensuite.
The finish of the Y Talbot rooms is of a very high quality, far superior to anywhere else I've stayed in the area, and very good value at the rates charged.
Breakfasts seem to be a Ceredigion strong point and Y Talbot is on a par with others, but it is the rooms that really set it apart from other small town hotels in the area.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Spent three nights at this hotel to explore the local countryside. It's very close to Strata Florida, and close enough for a trip to Aberystwyth too. Lovely countryside and friendly people. The staff were a great team, easy to approach, and dealt with our every need. The hotel has been updated to a high standard without losing the feel of it's original charm and appeal. There is an excellent menu which can be served in the bar (lots of atmosphere) or in the dining room (well appointed). Afternoon tea and/or snacks available in the bar any time. After exploring the area my wife and I knew we could return to Y Talbot in the evening for a superb meal - n the evening were happy in the knowledge that when we returned to Y Talbot in the evening we could order a superb meal the lamb is to die for! Then a short stroll around the small town of Tregaron to plan the next day. Superb. We have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and we will visit again ourselves when next in the area.

Room Tip: We feared our room at the front of the hotel might suffer noise from "The Square" but this...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Strolling around in Wales we found on a warm afternoon, the Wales rarebite hotel Y Talbot. The warm wellcome was overwelming, what a friendly staff in this mediocre old posthotel. Inside recently renewed and very tastfull refurnished (especially the restaurant) Our room, also renewed, was top, the high pressure shower a party in itself. Having a beer on the terras in front of the hotel again the very friendly servants. The restaurant is a beauty and the food is exellent. they deserve at least two "Rosettes". Every body is helping the next day to find us a next hotel on our trip throuh Wales. But the Y Talbot was the best of the hotels were we stayed. We will be back here!
JJ and WIJ van der Biezen-Smits, the Netherlands

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Mick T, Owner at Y Talbot, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thanks for your kind comments and delighted that you enjoyed the shower! We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

The hotel has been updated very thoughtfully. The room and en suite bathroom was excellent as was the dining room. The food in the restaurant was also excellent. We like the way the old drovers pub has been kept as it was. It offers an informal contrast to the dining room. The staff were very welcoming and efficient.

Room Tip: Lovely big front bedroom looking out over the square in Tregaron.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kokapeli
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The receptionist gave an excellent welcome, he showed me to my room and helped me with my bags. The single room was lovely, many hotels would have put a double bed in. It had an ensuite with an excellent shower, was nicely furnished and decorated.

I was thirsty after cycling the Welsh hills so popped down to the bar for a pint of top notch real ale, this could be hotel heaven?

Well, not quite. The owners have spent a fortune refurbishing the place but I couldn't get wifi in my room (4), and the walls are very thin to the point I changed tv channel to the same as next doors so I didn't have to hear two programmes at once.

The menu looked very foody, so I was looking forward to dinner, especially as they said I could have it in my room - I don't like eating in restaurants on my own so this is a great service for me. The scotch eggs were very tasty, the chicken pie excellent, and the mashed potato the best I've ever had......but I ran downstairs as they forgot the vegetables, only to be told that they used to serve vegetables but chef had decided to stop it. Bizaare, and wrong, as the creamy mash with the creamy sauce were crying out for some vegetables to balance the meal. Sadly I was awake half the night with indegestion, but on the bright side my neighbors got a break from my Olympic standard snoring.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Fandango11
Mick T, Owner at Y Talbot, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thanks for your comments, hopefully you will be able to dine in our cosy pub or restaurant next time you visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tregaron
The Falcondale Hotel
14 mi away
Aberystwyth Park Lodge Hotel
Aberystwyth Park Lodge Hotel
#5 of 13 in Aberystwyth

Been to Y Talbot? Share your experiences!