“Nice club, but dive sites at the hotel for advanced divers are really bad...”

Club Med La Caravelle
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Sainte-Anne
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I was to La Caravelle in May 2013 for two weeks and I was very content. The club was nice and clean, the meals were very delicicious (especially in the evening) and the stuff was very service-orientated. In this context I want to thank the life guard. He deserves a special credit.
Me, I am an experienced diver and I took my whole equipment from Germany to Guadeloupe. After talking with other experienced divers and internet research, it appeared, that all the local dive sites (near St. Francoise) are very boring and very expensive. More over, there was no pick up service from the club to St. Francoise and no discount because of using the complete own equipment. I was very angry because the club advertises in the catalogues with diving.
To be honest, the possibility for diving was the reason why I booked La Caravelle. (By the way, diving at the diving center in the club make only sense for beginners, who are able to book courses).
I spoke to the life guard at the swimming pool, called Pierre Alexandre and told him my huge disappointment. He was willing to take me and another guest two times with him in his spare time -first, at the very famous and beautiful west coast (national parc J. Cousteau), secondly, at he north of grand terre. He organized everything very well. He rented the car, picked us up at the hotel, phoned to the diving center before the trip and took photos underwater and gave us them later. More over he took care for me under water when I had problems with my ears...and he translated all the time, because my French is very bad...So, this guy did his best to let us feel comfortable and enjoy the vacation. I hope, that his chiefs recognize and cherish his great commitment for guests...

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank karin r
Write a ReviewReviews (4,197)

Reviewed 5 July 2013

It couldn't have been much better. I have always wanted to go to a Club Med, particularly after I had kids. When I began researching a first international trip for my 11 year old son, I remembered Club Med. I wanted one with a French and Caribbean feel. La Caravelle looked beautiful from the website and was even more so in real life. Although there weren't a lot of kids my son's age during our visit, when we were flying home and I asked him how his first international trip was, he just cried! He didn't want to leave and said he wanted to come back next year. Pierre and Cedric and all the GOs made it the most incredible time for both of us. The nightly shows totally captivated my son and I thoroughly enjoyed them too. I was amazed at the effort that the GOs puts into each day's activities. It felt like one continuous party if you wanted and then there was that amazingly beautiful beach for peace and quiet. Although we didn't spend any time in the rooms, they were just what they needed to be, a comfortable and simple compliment to the environment. We did one day into the country side, which was great, but otherwise stayed at the Club. I have never spent my entire trip residing at the resort, but you really didn't need to leave. My son hung near me the first few days, mostly swimming in the water. But after the GOs kept enticing him to come and join them with the mini club and other activities, particularly Cedric, who took him kayaking, the last few days, I had to go in search of him. I also met some very nice folks, one person who has been a member for 50 years. We are totally sold on the Club Med way of life and I was planning next year's trip on the plane back home. Although we loved our time at La Caravelle and can't imagine a more incredible place, we are going to try another one next year, but we will be back to La Caravelle, you can count on it!

Room Tip: The rooms nearest to beach are great.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank NikiM98
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We visited several Club Med's but found Caravelle to be the one that touched our hearts. The GO's seemed to go out of their way to make our stay more comfortable. The food was very good with a wide variety which changed daily. Kayaking and sailing were made available to us. The day trip to Les Saintes by Catamaran is not to miss. We also rented a car on site on numerous occasions to visit both the Atlantic and Caribbean coast which were phenomenal. Actually to get to the Caribbean coast you get to drive through an actual jungle. I saved the best for last, the scuba diving is extraordinary both on the Atlantic and Caribbean coast which by the way is were you can find the Cousteau Marine reserve. I also wanted to give a special thanks to the lifeguard Pierre-Alexandre who helped us find new dive sights even on his day off. Merci Pierre-Alexandre de nous deux Micheline et Fred.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Frederick S
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Club Med has been since the end of WWII a wonderful way to take vacation. My vacations as I started working after business school were all to Club Med. This was my first, and I loved it. For me this will always be one I want to return to.
Came back again at end of 2012. Many changes but still retains a Club Med feeling. They have changed their target market. From 20+, open sexuality to family. Many being the family that went as a recently married or engaged couple now having children.
Read about Club Med before you go!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2013

We travelled to La Caravelle with 6 adults, and 4 children. Food was fabulous, so were the various sports and entertainment activities. The circus/trapeze was especially fabulous, the kids loved the experience and the circus GO's were outstanding - thanks Karen, Adeline and Greg for an amazing time in the circus!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Amy271
Reviewed 3 May 2013

We picked La Caravelle for our windsurfing activity and it has not disappointed us. The windsurfing equipment is well maintained and the windsurfing condition in general is the best among the last 4 Club Meds that we went to.
We like the achitecture of the site with a very functioning central lounge which connects to the restaurant, the pool and the theatre.
The evening shows are generally good though I think the "sex" contents of the last show "Carnival" is not well suited to a location with mini-club audiences. The show we enjoyed the most is the Wizard of Oz.
As mentioned by other people, French is the dominant language at the site and many activities are conducted in French. We wish there are a little bit more English speaking though most GOs have no problem speaking English on request. However, we still felt welcome in this French environment. Our favourite GOs are Elodie (aerobic exercise) and Melodie (reception).
The food is a delight and has many varieties.
Our room is very basic but clean. The beach is very nice and we don't feel congested or bothered even it is not a private beach.
The 15 minutes from the Club Med site to the town is very nice and scenic.
Overall, we are happy with our vacation though the return trip is a dread that we need to make 2 connecting flights back to Vancouver.

Room Tip: The Grand Terre building is reasonably maintained but ask for one with a balcony. We don't feel...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank calohello
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I have been going to club med on and off again for 22 years (I am a gold member) and this was my first visit to Caravelle. I have remained a reliable and dedicated GM. On this vacation, I traveled with my wife, teenage daughter and 11 friends. I did not bring my cell phone, pager, laptop, tablet. We did not watch TV, read any newspapers, or make any phone calls. Remember the old CM motto? “The antidote for civilization.” They should never have changed it.

1. The village: is on a magnificent beach protected by an old coral reef. The beach is superlative, public spaces and rooms are all very clean, neat, well maintained and decorated. As with every Club Med village, the support staff is what makes this village so great: they take great pride in what they do and it shows. The only disappointment was the landscaping – virtually non-existent. Flower beds over grown, leaves and botanical debris everywhere. Unlike the other villages we have been to, no once cleaned up the beach or set the chairs straight. We often found the previous day’s bar debris, towels and cups on the beach on chairs. Not a major problem, but not the typical club med beach hygiene we are accustomed to.

2. The food: typical club med fare at the main restaurant but not as varied as we have found at other villages. Only infrequently did we find fresh grilled fish on the menu. No mangos or other tropical fruit. Pineapple and watermelon was available every day. There was the usual abundance of fresh produce, bread, and salads. The pastries, cheese, pizza and bread were excellent. The menu has changed very little over the years and for good reason: it is healthy and tastes fantastic and provides the necessary energy for the next day’s activities. We would have liked more variety though. We did not eat at the specialty restaurant this time – there was no interest among my group. One very odd thing: virtually no white chocolate bread. We saw only two loaves the entire trip – and these were devoured very quickly. Also, very little traditional chocolate bread. Perhaps the chief chef has a chocolate allergy. This was a disappointment, as was the repetitiveness of the desert counter – all excellent – but never really changes. This is an observation made by several other reviewers as well. One important plus, we were able to enter the restaurant early every day for a quick bite, and to make small sandwiches to take with us on our daily dive trips with Noa Plongee. This was very much appreciated by my group, and we want to thank the chief of the village for making this possible. Thankfully, we did not get badgered about the deluxe wine program this trip (it was available, but CM’s basic table wine is just fine when dining on their diverse menu.

3. Medical: thankfully, we had no need for contact on this trip, so I cannot review this important resource. We took precautions and came prepared for just about any minor medical mishap on our own.

4. Sports: we are all water people, so most of our activities were spent in or on the ocean. We went scuba diving every day. I cannot say enough about the dive operation that CM has contracted with: Noa Plongee. They were just amazing. They put together a program of reef diving along the south and northeast coasts of Grande Terre (Isle de Petit Terre, Port Louis, Banc des Vaisseaux). Just beautiful. This is a fantastic shop, great instructors, equipment and boats, and is only a quick 30min drive from the village. CM helped arrange a taxi-van every morning (same driver each day) for us.

We also spent time sailing – unfortunately the village only has three (3) boats (Hobie-15). So one had to reserve a boat each day in order to go sailing. The sea conditions and wind were just excellent almost every day. And the boats are in excellent condition. The GO’s were very friendly and helpful – excellent customer service. We did not play tennis on this trip, so I cannot review this activity.

5. Language: was not an issue. English is spoken by nearly all the GO’s and staff. CM is a friendly place and language barriers have not and should not ever prevent GM’s from having fun.

6. Accommodations: were excellent. We chose to upgrade to their renovated Grande Terre building – and had a terrific ocean view. Our room was cleaned and spotless by noon, everyday. What we found lacking in the landscaping and groundkeeping, was made up for in housekeeping. Typical CM décor, tile floors, colorful artwork, clean linens, and a large shower with great water pressure and plenty of hot water As with most CM villages, the air conditioning is only just able to keep the humidity and moldy smells away. The room never got really cool, but it was comfortable enough. We always leave one of our room keycards in the slot –to keep the AC running all day. Otherwise things warm up too much and it never gets cool again at night for sleeping. We always leave a tip for the housekeeper because their hard work enhances the overall experience.

7. Travel: was relatively easy via Miami. A direct flight on American Airlines – on time and great service. The airport is modern, clean, efficient, and close to the village. Just perfect. We passed through security very quickly. Not like the nightmare that awaits you in the Turks and Caicos. The only negative was a nearly 70 minute delay through immigration in Miami – due to funding cutbacks and the sequester. What an embarrassment after passing into and out of Guadeloupe so easily.

8. On this trip, we spent some time walking around St-Anne. They have a small market where you can buy creole spices, produce, nick-nacks and t-shirts. We also traveled around Grande Terre during our dive trips. We wanted to go to the rainforest on Basse Terre, but did not want to deal with the two-hour car ride (each way). I wish we had done this excursion though. Next time.

9. Our kids spent very little time in the kids club. What we did see though, was a well organized, clean, and safe experience for the kids that did spend their time here. I would expect nothing less from CM.

10. The evening shows: we went to very few of them. Typical CM humor. But we were too exhausted by the day’s activities to participate every night.
11. Would we go back again? Yes. But we will probably go to Martinique next time

Room Tip: upgrade to a larger room in Grande Terre with an ocean view. You made the trip, don't skimp on...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Thunderball5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sainte-Anne
La Creole Beach Hotel & Spa
Pierre & Vacances Village Sainte-Anne
Hotel Fleur d'Epee
Hotel Fleur d'Epee
#2 of 23 in Le Gosier

Been to Club Med La Caravelle? Share your experiences!