“Back to the Palm Inn”

and 1 more site!
Palm Inn
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Port-au-Prince
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My wife and I go to Port au Prince, Haiti several times a year working with a faith based mission organization, Haiti Outreach Ministries. We always stay at the Palm Inn. It is quiet, clean, friendly and secure. It is close to our ministry in Cite Soleil and very convenient. The breakfast buffet is outstanding and dinners are very good and the menu has a wide variety of selections.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank bobnflo
There are newer reviews for Palm Inn

Reviewed 28 September 2013

I have worked in Haiti for 18 years and stayed at many Guesthouses and hotels. I work in the North so usually only stay in Port au Prince for a day or two. Finding Palm Inn Hotel a few years ago was a blessing! The Guesthouses I tried to get a good price were always far from the airport and certainly not worth their low price in terms of food, cleanliness or security. By the time I factored in what I paid for taxis and having to order special food it quickly added up to what I pay per night at Palm Inn. It is the best deal around for sure. They have a reliable courteous shuttle service to pick you up and deliver you (after a very short trip) to what can only be described as an oasis. Once through the gates it is easy to forget that you have been up for 24 hours traveling and battled your way through the chaos at the Port au Prince Airport. It is like landing in a peaceful garden. I think the attention to the landscaping that Farah and Wilhelm have taken to ensure their guests experience how beautiful Haiti is even in the midst of the ongoing re-build their City is experiencing, is pretty special. I'm always working while there, but even that can seem delightful out by their pristine pool area. The restaurant is also more than I ever expect in Haiti. They make an obvious effort to have most of the things offered on their menu (and I can assure you, that is not the typical scenario in Haiti) and make every effort to provide high standards for food preparation in their kitchen (also not typical in Haiti). In the morning (included in the price) is a full breakfast with an omelet bar and everything else you could ever have imagined for breakfast. The rooms are very clean and outfitted with amenities you are not going to find in other hotels for this price. eg. microwave, mini fridge etc. One thing I really love is that their are quilts on the beds instead of the more common comforter. I love this because you can see that they are laundered regularly. Comforters and bed spreads I have seen in other hotels look like they never have been washed. This small detail is something I look for that says the hotel is super attentive to cleanliness. The staff are all very helpful and sweet. Love them to!! And the managers are willing to go above and beyond to help you figure out anything you may need to that you do not have Port au Prince savvy or contacts for. I love that to. I find Palm Inn Hotel a peaceful, tranquil garden and always have no worries staying there and would highly recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank julie g
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Having stayed at the Palm Inn Hotel numerous times over the past 8 years or so, I can heartily recommend this hotel to anyone looking for clean, comfortable, secure accommodations nestled in a quiet and beautiful area of Port-au-Prince, and located within walking distance of the airport (that is when leaving Haiti and your suitcases are nearly empty, as is my experience). Bon Voyage !

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Padre43
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Simply outstanding, in every possible way.
Flawless communication - arranging a very complex booking, Farah wrote impeccable English emails (from her writing, I had mistakenly assumed she was American, when in fact both she and her husband are Haitian, but utterly bilingual); and they could not have been more honest and principled in arranging and negotiating all that went into it. And the hotel shows evidence everywhere of having passionately-involved owners being in residence all the time; I have stayed multiple times at the Karibe, and while the Karibe represents a quantum leap from all that came before it, the service at the Palm is much more user-friendly, and the hotel has real Haitian charm, rather than the more business atmosphere of the Karibe. And the Palm Inn staff *really* speak English, and it is truly service with a smile - simply wonderfully friendly and helpful. The group of ten that I brought over were without exception charmed and delighted. I am going to avoid naming names, but suffice it to say, we went to a legendary Haitian spot on another night, and it was a fantastic refresher course on how bad service can be. The Palm Inn blazes a trail which could honestly relume the Haitian tourist industry - they *rock.* Oh - should also mention - food *flawless* and *delicious* and pool *immaculate* - not one person in my group of Americans (ranging from a 10-year-old girl to a college teacher) got sick.
Location was perfect for us, but we had a specific agenda, teaching in Cite Soleil. There are two centers in PaP, and it depends on what the visitor wants, whether the location is optimal.
If I could give them 10 stars out of five, I would. The best.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank GregoryGourmand
Reviewed 12 March 2013

The manager and reception staff were very helpful in ways needed in this city still in shambles after the 2010 earthquake and where very little works. Their assistance and the pretty grounds of this small hotel save this review and rating. At $80 plus tax the room was overpriced for what I got: very basic and furnished at the absolute minimum, like two wire hangers bent badly of out shape; the shower head allowed only a trickle of water (which is why it took about five minutes for warm water to flow); the filthy sink edge needed caulking. With a very average dinner menu selection, so-so prepared and with minimal service, the restaurant prices were way too high. Breakfast was good, though.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank PeeWang
Reviewed 17 February 2013

This was my first time staying at a hotel in Haiti and I must say I was impressed with the Palm Inn. I was there with my fiance' who happens to be from Haiti. We had a pretty good time. I liked how personnel was very courteous and customer friendly. I also liked the French Toast they served for breakfast. That was my favorite! The rooms and beds were clean every morning and personnel did not have a problem with providing me with an iron. However, tv channels were limited and the air conditioner did not have enough freon to cool the room. The price was for the room was ok but the restuarant was a bit pricey. Other than that, everything was cool. I enjoyed my time and look forward to staying there the next time I visit.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Frenchie1rock
Reviewed 15 February 2013

First time I was there people were friendly, not expensive rate and clean (October 2009) After the earthquake I went again (February 2010) Rooms were overpriced and the owner tried to make money as much as possible. Rooms dirty and hotel workers were not enough for so many customers. There were tends of National Geographic and BBC so the hotel was fully booked. I left 2 days later and went to a much cheaper one in same conditions.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank maby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port-au-Prince
Marriott Port-au-Prince Hotel
#7 of 20 in Port-au-Prince
NH Haiti El Rancho
NH Haiti El Rancho
#1 of 13 in Petionville

Been to Palm Inn? Share your experiences!