“Home away from Home”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port-au-Prince
Coconut Villa Hotel
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Port-au-Prince
New York City, New York
“Home away from Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

Since January 2010 it feels like I have slept more nights at Coconut Villa than at home. It is a peaceful haven from the heat, dust, and traffic of PaP. It is always a welcoming place to return to after a long day. The rooms are spacious and clean, with air-conditioning and refrigerators. The restaurant and pool area is refreshing. And, the staff are very professional, always accommodating, and genuinely kind.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank ReliefWorker_44

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Richmond VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2011

Upon check in I was told that we couldn't check in because the front desk closes at 8 (it was 8:30) -and that because of that all that was available was a room with 2 double beds (I only needed one as I was the only one staying there) for $150 - not the $100 I was quoted for the one bed room. After much discussion a room with one bed was miraculously available. So I went to use the free internet that is supposed to be available but it didn't work - and according to the 3 other guests who were in the dining area - it hadn't all day. I then decided to go to my room to take a much needed shower after 3 days bathing out of a bucket, turn the shower on and i get sprayed- outside the shower - it shot straight up against the ceiling and out all over the entire bathroom. When I went downstairs to get help the only person available was the man behind the bar, who could offer no help as the keys and tools were locked up, and when he went to wake the manager (she lives on the property) she refused to open her door. I gave up and went to bed. The next morning I had to go to the front desk to request my shower be fixed, and it was by the maintenance man who was the only polite person I met during my stay) I take a shower and I go downstairs for breakfast and the staff didn't even greet me, yet one girl said to the other in creole (i understand a bit) that I was the one who complained about her shower not working. My friends came to pick me up and were treated very rudely as well. Avoid this place like the plague. A comparable hotel in the states would cost $39 a night. max.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
9 Thank RichmondTravelGirl

Travellers are raving about these Port-au-Prince hotels

Geneva, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2011

Service is very rude (except one smiling waitress). The woman manager is not friendly at all. It feels more like jail. The rooms are bleak and the food is average. Prices are very expensive for the quality. Yet it's hard to find much better in Haiti.

• Stayed November 2010
3 Thank Grolle
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2010

Although it was expensive it was well worth it. Our team of 12 stayed for a week and it was great to return after a day of working to the villa. Tasty safe food, safe water, air conditioning, armed guard on duty, great overall service from the staff...it was an oasis.

Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank BVB4750
bay area
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

way overpriced for quality of room, food and service good but price twice as high as even better hotels

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank froggydoc
Port Orange, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2010

I had to fly down to Haiti at very short notice to coordiante an air transfer in and out of international recovery workers. I was really apprehensive about finding somewhere to stay that would be either safe or comfortable. I found both. The Coconut Villa is no 5 star property, it doesn't pretend to be, but it is clean, friendly and efficient. It is well guarded and very well provisioned. It's clearly a favorite with aid and relief workers.

Somebody earlier complained it was expensive. For my money, safe beats cheap every time. Try putting a price on clean water, electricity, well prepared food and security. They have back-up generators. they have AC when you need it (at night), hot water too and the wireless internet functioned constantly and allowed me to close a deal on Saturday night that a colleague of mine in Long Island couldn't because his home internet was down! My client still doesan't believe I was in Haiti when I sent them their contract.

They have a bar, friendly and accomodating staff and they usually manage to produce a selection of 3 or 4 different dishes each night for dinner. Someone was complaining at the lack of a formal "menu" while I was there. Less than 50 yards away from the front gate there were starving families living in an improvised plastic tent with an open ditch for a bathroom.

Hans, who owns the property with his siblings, responds to e-mail reservation requests extremely rapidly. He might ask you to wire a deposit to the hotel's account in the US to guarantee your booking and I know some are suspicious of this, but in my experience there is no need to be, The hotel is there and functioning beautifully. Hans needs to get money in the US so he can buy provisions for the hotel and take them down to Haiti personally. I met him and his sister and they couldn't be nicer. I wouldn't just recommend this hotel to a friend, I would actively encourage anyone going to Haiti to stay there. I will use it whenever I need to go back.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
7 Thank Paul M
Oakland, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2010

I'm heading down to Jacmel, Haiti this week to help in the relief effort. My flight home leaves early in the morning in a few weeks, and I need to spend the previous night in Port-au-Prince.

Based on the reviews, I was excited to book a night at Coconut Villa. However, not only are they charging more than is listed here in tripadvisor ($100), nor offering any sort of discount for relief workers, but the key reason they are not going to get my business is that despite stating on their website that they accept major credit cards, they will only take reservations by wire transfer to a Florida account, necessitating an additional wire transfer fee. To quote, "You can take a chance and show up with no reservation and if we have a room available then you can pay with your credit card , no guarantee"

Stayed March 2010, travelled on business