“An oasis amongst the devastation”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port-au-Prince
Coconut Villa Hotel
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Port-au-Prince
Port Orange, Florida
“An oasis amongst the devastation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2010

I had to fly down to Haiti at very short notice to coordiante an air transfer in and out of international recovery workers. I was really apprehensive about finding somewhere to stay that would be either safe or comfortable. I found both. The Coconut Villa is no 5 star property, it doesn't pretend to be, but it is clean, friendly and efficient. It is well guarded and very well provisioned. It's clearly a favorite with aid and relief workers.

Somebody earlier complained it was expensive. For my money, safe beats cheap every time. Try putting a price on clean water, electricity, well prepared food and security. They have back-up generators. they have AC when you need it (at night), hot water too and the wireless internet functioned constantly and allowed me to close a deal on Saturday night that a colleague of mine in Long Island couldn't because his home internet was down! My client still doesan't believe I was in Haiti when I sent them their contract.

They have a bar, friendly and accomodating staff and they usually manage to produce a selection of 3 or 4 different dishes each night for dinner. Someone was complaining at the lack of a formal "menu" while I was there. Less than 50 yards away from the front gate there were starving families living in an improvised plastic tent with an open ditch for a bathroom.

Hans, who owns the property with his siblings, responds to e-mail reservation requests extremely rapidly. He might ask you to wire a deposit to the hotel's account in the US to guarantee your booking and I know some are suspicious of this, but in my experience there is no need to be, The hotel is there and functioning beautifully. Hans needs to get money in the US so he can buy provisions for the hotel and take them down to Haiti personally. I met him and his sister and they couldn't be nicer. I wouldn't just recommend this hotel to a friend, I would actively encourage anyone going to Haiti to stay there. I will use it whenever I need to go back.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
7 Thank Paul M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Oakland, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2010

I'm heading down to Jacmel, Haiti this week to help in the relief effort. My flight home leaves early in the morning in a few weeks, and I need to spend the previous night in Port-au-Prince.

Based on the reviews, I was excited to book a night at Coconut Villa. However, not only are they charging more than is listed here in tripadvisor ($100), nor offering any sort of discount for relief workers, but the key reason they are not going to get my business is that despite stating on their website that they accept major credit cards, they will only take reservations by wire transfer to a Florida account, necessitating an additional wire transfer fee. To quote, "You can take a chance and show up with no reservation and if we have a room available then you can pay with your credit card , no guarantee"

Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank tcbeatie

Travellers are raving about these Port-au-Prince hotels

minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2010

We were at this hotel during the 7.0 earthquake and actually had just got to our room and 10 minutes later th earthquake hit. The employee's and owner were very caring, loving and was up all night making sure we were safe and taken care of. I would not have wanted to be anywhere else in Haiti when that earthquake hit. The staff worked extra long hours and provided us with sandwiches that night. They brought us the sandwiches on their best china, not paper plates. They had no water and still gave us a dinner on proper plates. The hotel only sustained damage to the brick wall that surrounds the hotel. We pulled out mattresses from the rooms and placed them around the pool because we were scared to stay in the room and the next day the staff picked them all up and put them back in the room without ever expressing displeasure at having to do this. We found a young lady and her brother who was 8 and he sustained a pretty bad head wound. We put them on the pool lounger's and the staff feed them as well. The security guard never slept the entire night and was there the next day as well. The meals were always great and all staff will have a place in my heart forever.

• Stayed January 2010
4 Thank maciedog
Dubai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2009

All I can say is that I made a good choice by staying here. The value for the price is good being that this is Haiti. I really have no complaints. Since I speak Creole, there was no language barrier. The staff and management team always greeted you, they sent porters to the store if you needed them to and I was able to use their telephone for local calls. The restaurant served very good food and the bar was available as well. The locality has numerous shops and merchants all within walking distance. I walked around during the day and came across many Haitian products and souvenirs, even the sellers who sell vegetables and fruits. I saw many schools around and the hotel has a Dominos Pizza right behind it! You can hear many shops playing music and oh, many Barber shops and beauty parlors in the neighborhood. If you're there and run out of money, Western Union Services Haiti and there's an office about two blocks away from the hotel. You can buy just about anything you need. Toiletries, food, gifts, clothes, sandals and shoes, household items, liquor, tobacco, cd's ,dvd's etc. The neighborhood is full of merchants and shops. There's even a few banks, gas stations and grocery stores not too far away which I walked to, about a 7 minute walk. All in all, the hotel is ideally located and you will be and feel safe, especially because of the armed guards. I slept at different times of the day and never had a noise problem. I had a good time there.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank DonaldDubai
Midlothian, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2009

Nice friendly staff, some problems communicating, since most of the staff speaks Creole or French. The food was good, especially the flan, the fish, and the Haitian Sweet Potatoes. The ice water was welcome after a long, hot day at our mission clinic, and the A/C was wonderful. We never did figure out how to adjust the A/C controls, so we woke up every morning freezing. The guards were nice and professional, we felt very safe. The staff was able to provide a birthday cake for my 20-year-old daughter when I requested it. It cost me $20 US, but that was fine with me !!!

• Stayed May 2009
2 Thank HaitiRN97
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2008

My husband and I stayed there for almost one week during the beginning of April 2008. The staff was friendly, especially Viviane, the front desk clerk. The only problem that I had is the telephone (intercom) service. From your room, there is no phone or intercom to order anything. If you need something from the office, you have to walk all the way there. Besides of that, the area is clean and the restaurant service could have been better if the servers were a little nicer to customers.

• Liked — Small refrigerator in my room
  • Disliked — No intercom or telepnone for room service
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Madgy
RICHMOND,VA.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2008

This was my first visit to Haiti and i was impressed, beautiful people at the Coconut Villa they treated our group, we were there on a mission trip, and the most excellent service

Harold, Richmond,Va.

• Stayed March 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank HDDAVIS