“Good mixed with bad”
Review of Visa Lodge

Visa Lodge
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Port-au-Prince
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Visa Lodge is near the airport in Port au Prince so it is very convenient for that reason. However, we experienced some serious problems with our reservations. We were a group of 8, in Haiti for volunteer work. We reserved 5 rooms, by email, and after a while received a confirmation. Subse-quently, questions regarding the rooms, were rarely answered. We did confirm by phone that we needed the 5 rooms, and were assured 3 days prior to arrival that we had them. On arrival, we were told there were only 3 rooms. So some of us had to double up. Four of us in my room made do with a double bed and two small rollaway beds; fortunately the room was large and able to accomodate these beds. The front desk did substantially reduce the rate for all 8 of us, but only when strongly suggested by our group leader. The shower in our room was excellent, enough force and hot water, and we had a refrigerator, wide screen TV, and air conditioning. Wifi was available but very sporadic.
The rooms are in bungalows, each one with two units. The grounds are lovely, grassy with trees; it felt very peaceful. The pool is large and the view is nice from the pool area, which is adjacent to the dining area. The seafood pizza, on the menu, is outstanding. Breakfast, included with the rooms, was average, fruit, rolls, pancakes, and one can request a made to order omelet. The front desk staff were friendly and pleasant, as was the wait staff.
There is a shuttle to the airport, but it is a pickup truck so they cannot take a large group.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank schwartzapn

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I've stayed here about 10 or more times. Price is high for what you get. Port au Prince is an unpredictable city and you never know when civil unrest will shut down the city (or country), so the hotel's proximity to the airport is a positive. The rooms are OK -- usually clean (although I've had problems once or twice). Tile floors. Bathroom is below average because the counters are wooden, usually waterstained or otherwise marred with burns or marks, and sometimes just kind of hang a bit loosely from the wall. TV is usually snowy to some extent, but with several English channels. Light fixtures are frequently broken (esp. over the bed), or have missing bulbs. Cheap bar of soap and no shampoo. There's a large, tall cathedral ceiling over many rooms' sleeping area, with a good ceiling fan. But the lights in this same area are blinding flourescents. A/C usually work OK, but on at least 3 occasions the A/C was spewing water onto the desk area, then onto the floor (and in one room was draining down the wall into the light fixture). Decent breakfast service in the morning. There's a 3' refrigerator in the room (be sure to turn the thermostat down in the refrigerator when you first arrive -- otherwise it will only keep your liquids lukewarm). I don't use the swimming pool, but it looks nice (the dining area overlooks the pool).

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the reception area; otherwise you could be placed in a room in the far corner of...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank chartsfo
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The grounds are well-kept. The service is good. The food is good. The rooms are clean and the beds comfortable. Loved having air conditioning. Security is good. This is the second stay here for me, and I have no hesitation in returning.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank tkaylewis
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two days. Cery comfortable hotel. Rooms were clean, beds were comfortable, food was excellent, pool area was very nice, and Air Conditioning was excellent. Comparable to a good 3 Star in the states. All in all a good stay. I will return on my next mission trip.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank kenspidey52
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Had to be there for my work. Good nice bungelow style appartments and normal environment. As everywhere in haiti just must be careful with whatvyou eat and drink but the pizza at the bar restaurant is the bestbpizza i had in years so....
Swimmingpool was nice after work and for the rest is was fine. Ok the wifi far from the lobby is not working but that give you an excuses to go to the bar and order pizza.
Ok bring your own shampoo soap is present. And ofcourse armed guards and the entrance but that is an relaxing point.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 April 2013

My wife and I booked this hotel for 2 nights after staying at a dismal hotel (Habitation Hatt). I am so glad that we found this place. I do not have anything bad to say about this hotel. Food was great. Pool, room and atmosphere made this hotel awesome for my wife and I. We are coming back in 30 days for 4 more nights. Employees all were very nice and always had smiles. The owner was a cool dude nice to talk to. I did not know they had free airport transportation but I do now. Thank you VISA LODGE.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2013

I found that the rooms were clean and the airconditioning was very good. We had supper there and the portions were huge and the food was good. Also included was breakfast which I found the selection to be fine

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port-au-Prince
Marriott Port-au-Prince Hotel
#4 of 21 in Port-au-Prince
NH Haiti El Rancho
NH Haiti El Rancho
#1 of 13 in Petionville

Been to Visa Lodge? Share your experiences!