“Homely & personalized service”
Review of Auberge du Quebec

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port-au-Prince
Auberge du Quebec
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Port-au-Prince
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Subsequent to being robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight on the main road within 5 days in arriving in Haiti, I was mentally traumatized & stressed. I decided to change the hotel & chose Auberge Du Qubec. As a member of a Emergency response team who came in alone to assist water purification projects in PAP, I needed a good base which This hotel offered. The food was good except that it was too oily for an Asian palette. The staff were excellent. The rooms were ok but thoroughly cleaned everyday & linen changed.
The Canadian owner, his haitian manageress were spot on with the day to day activities. One staff who managed to speak English was Yllianne & assisted me at every moment because I had a 12 hour time difference with my home & also had odd meal times because of the Jed lag. I recomend this hotel in Carrefore as a nice place. I stayed in this Hotel from January 2011cto the End of May 2011

Room Tip: rooms near the pool & Bar
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Harsha P

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Recently stayed here for several nights on a work trip. The food is really good, the rooms are clean, the A/C is cold, and good wifi. I didn't get in the pool but there were others in my party who did and said it was great. No complaints from me. Great find.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mclanea
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Simply amazing! I found this hotel which was in the perfect location, close to family and the market. The drinks are so delicious, pool is refreshing and the views are breathtaking. I went to Haiti to visit my boyfriend and his family this is definitely a place I plan to stay at again. The price is very affordable, staff very accommodating and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank g00sh
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Few places on earth can carry the name chaotic. Yet, Haiti, unfortunately, for the last centuries has been associated with the worst places to live on planet earth. Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Tornados, name it, Haiti had them all. As you cross the city of Port Au Prince, one can't control his emotions. Some say that it is placed forgotten by God. Well, I can't believe that God has forsaken any place. Yet, it is true that it is a dark place, where poverty strikes the most educated person. Most houses are broken down through the many natural disasters that hit the city of a yearly basis. Roads are broken down, the Presidential Palace has been destroyed by the last earthquake. Suiers don't work, there is hardly any electricity in the evening in the city, but in the midst of all that chaos, there is a place of order, there is light that shines out of the darkness. It is called “L'Auberge du Quebec”. And what a place. Do you plan to visit Port Au Prince, you may be assured that this place is worth while the journey. Located in Carrefour, a major suburb of Port Au Prince, it is one of the most beautiful hotel in the city, offering all the comfort you may be expecting in a city that has none anymore and almost anywhere..

Once you arrive at the Auberge du Quebec you are welcomed by a qualified team that knows what service, hospitality and quality mean. There are two kinds of bedrooms and therefore two sets of prices. The main building hosts a dozen high-quality bedrooms with queen-beds, air conditioning, English speaking TV programs, a coach, and lots of light. Bathrooms are clean and have no air-conditioning. Each room offers a very good safe and a large wardrobe and a fridge, which is very nice for those who need to drink a lot or even need to keep their medicines cool.

The buildings surrounding the main building offer a lower quality of rooms, usually, one king bed and another smaller bed. It has a fridge, a safe, a nice shower. I would say from my own experience, having slept in both places, the main building and the building surroundings, that the main building offers much higher quality and comfort.

Sometimes, the neighbors of the hotel make too much noise, really too much. It is certainly not the fault of the hotel, but Haiti can be a place with less rules than in most of our western countries where noise has to drastically be reduced after 10pm. This is not the case here, and some times you can find yourself trapped in a very noisy environment.

Great points for the hotel are its restaurants offering a very nice selection of excellent Haitian dishes, beef, chicken and fish are offered every day, the whole accompanied by great and pleasant music. I advise people not to eat fish every day in Haiti. It has nothing to do with the hotel's quality – it is very good quality – but it has to do with some fishes in the Caribbean that can cause diseases when eaten too much and too frequently.

Another point is the Bar – it offers many drinks suitable to all tastes, most international sodas and spirits are offered. Finally, another great attraction to the hotel is its fabulous swimming pool. A large pool with different areas to play and swim, but also nice chairs and table for a drink as well as long chairs to lay down.

Week points: certainly the noise of the neighbors can be annoying specially at night when one wants to rest. The Hotel does all it can to find an answer to this though. Another point is that the main building is limited in the number of rooms, but the view from there is awesome.

Overall, I really like this hotel. It suits my standards – with the understanding that it is not in Europe or in the USA, but in an island, and what island! Probably the poorest country in the world, yet offering order and light in the midst of chaos.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Donato A
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Rooms are alright, but I don't go to Haiti to stay in rooms anyway. They have the basics: warm water, air-conditioning, lock box, television. I found the beds comfortable.

One restaurant is indoors and outdoors (on an open terrace ... with lovely breezes - where I like to hang out) and they have a second restaurant (indoors) with more American fare and televisions everywhere. I have enjoyed both.

They have a variety on their menu...I enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of the terrace and the food is satisfying. I would gravitate away from chicken and steak...unless it comes IN a sauce. They tend to fry meat til its tough and dry. Service is good but slow. You need to order 30 minutes or so ahead if you are in a hurry. They pipe music in from time to time.

I stayed at this hotel many times and you can expect the same thing everytime you go...very dependable in that way. They have security and ample parking. The rates have steadily inched their way up over the years ($65. in 2007 to $85. in 2013). You can do better on the price if you don't need airconditioning.

This hotel suits me well because it is located close to most of the people that I want to visit with (in the Carrefour area). I may not stay here for my entire trip due to price increases, but it is a good place for me to start.

They have a pool that always seems to be clean and inviting. They also have a pool table available as well.

I don't think that they have anything similar in the immediate area so for me I consider it a "God send". It stood through the earthquake and it seems to be prepared to keep chugging along.....steady as she goes.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LovingHaiti
Reviewed 9 February 2013

I am currently staying at this hotel and ill clear something out to @Madgy review about the charge for using the microwave. Electricity in Haiti isn't cheap, some other hotels even charge you $10 extra per day for it, aside from the room costs.
On subject, the place is nice and indeed is very hot, but being close to the ocean, you get a breeze sometimes annoying if you are at the restaurant and it blows the mantles to your face (just happened to me 40 minutes ago). Rooms are clean, you get a safety box, a fridge and in the a/c rooms you even get a ceiling fan in case it's too cold for you. The pool is great and beautiful at night. Downside, as everybody mentioned, the restaurant is very slow but when you get use to it, there's nothing to complain about, I'm staying here for 23 days out of the 30 of this trip and I'm glad I was recommended to this hotel by the people I'm working with. Other fact is, it is not 10 or 20 minutes of port au prince or the airport, unless it is the middle of the night with no traffic. It takes between 60 to 90 minutes to get to and from the airport with all the traffic chaos. Other than that your stay will be very pleasant once settle.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AznGuy76
Reviewed 7 February 2013

I've stayed here 5-6 times during the last two years. Great staff. Good food. Some of the rooms are nice, some are not. If you're needing to stay in the Carrefour area, or don't mind driving from there each day, it's a nice spot to base out of. Certainly not a luxury hotel but there are not many options in Port au Prince.
The restaurant is very slow. When preparing for a meal, I order about 45 minutes in advance of when I want it.
There are two types of rooms here: low quality rooms in the building across from the restaurant. Much nicer and only slightly more expensive rooms in the same building as the restaurant. Having stayed in the low quality rooms several times before I realized there was anything better, I feel like I've discovered a new hotel after I became aware of the nicer rooms.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Greg F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port-au-Prince
Marriott Port-au-Prince Hotel
Best Western Premier Petion-Ville
La Maison Hotel
La Maison Hotel
#19 of 21 in Port-au-Prince

Been to Auberge du Quebec? Share your experiences!