“A real treat in a great location”
Review of Auberge du Picolet

Auberge du Picolet
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Cap-Haitien
Reviewed 9 March 2014

There are some good places along the boulevard in Cap Haitien and this is the perfect place to serve as a tranquil base in easy walking distance of some of the highlights such a LaKay. The staff are attentive, very helpful and pleasant and the ambience is professional but relaxed.
The rooms are a good size and well furnished with modern furniture and very comfortable quality bedding. Food in the restaurant was ample in portion size and very tasty. A little stronger water pressure in the shower would have been a bonus. Overall yet another magical treat unearthed in Haiti.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have wonderful sea views
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 March 2014

The hotel is situated on the seafront road on the edge of the centre of Cap Haitien. It's 5 minutes walk from the Caribe Tours bus station so don't fall for the taxi drivers asking for 20 dollars US- we paid $5 which was probably too much.

The hotel is an oasis of calm away from the hustle and bustle of the town. It's a colonial style villa with open plan reception area and bar/ restaurant with lots of wood and tasteful local art with some marine artefacts such as a barnacle encrusted cannon and anchors. Our room was large, very clean and comfortable with a nice balcony overlooking the sea. It had air con plus ceiling fan but this wasn't generally needed at night due to the ever present strong sea breeze. The bed was large and comfy and we slept well. There was a cable TV but no fridge in the room.

The hotel is around 10 minutes walk from the centre of town. We were pleasantly surprised that it was perfectly safe to walk into and around town and even at night there are 3 bars/ restaurants along the sea front that were walkable. The people were really friendly and we never felt unsafe in Cap Haitien. Breakfast is served in the French flavoured restaurant and provided a choice of dishes which were well prepared and tasty.

The owner/ manageress of the hotel, Dominique speaks English which is unusual in Cap Haitien ( some French is definitely useful) and she was friendly, efficient and helpful. When our car rental company let us down (Avoid Europcar!) she was able to liaise with them and then arrange alternative transport.

From what we saw (we called at some of the other hotels for a drink) Auberge Picolet is the best choice in Cap Haitien for quality, location and service. The only negative is that it's quite expensive , but Haiti is an expensive country for tourism related costs so if you want a good standard, safe hotel you need to be prepared to pay the equivalent to that which you would in Europe or USA. In summary , great hotel in an excellent location.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LS13
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Magic! That is the only way I know how to adequately describe our stay at Auberge du Picolet.

This was my second trip to Haiti. The first was with an organization involved in the construction of a Children’s center and support of an Art Education center for children in Jacmel. This trip was for vacation and to explore a country I fell in love with the first time!

We only stayed here for two nights but I wish that we had been here the whole week and I intend to go back! It is simply beautiful. The rooms were more than I expected and the grounds were so charming, with a beautiful courtyard inside. The staff was wonderful and gracious. The hotel is situated right across the street from the water and my favorite thing was rolling out of bed and walking across the street to watch the sunrise and listen to the city come alive. The location is perfect, walking distance to great restaurants and to the downtown area. The entire city is beyond charming.

I have stayed at four places now in Haiti and it is hard for me to put them in any order as everywhere we stayed has had something special about it, but I would definitely push this up toward the top of the list.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank frizzy0212
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed for 5 nights of tourism in mid-February and loved the Auberge du Picolet. The owner-managers, Regine and Dominique, were on site every day and super helpful, as were the hotel and restaurant staff. Rooms are huge, light and airy. Luxurious bedding, with a surprisingly warm duvet to match the powerful air conditioning -- and a ceiling fan so you can turn down the AC and sleep with just a sheet. Bathrooms are unfancy but spotless and almost completely free of mosquitoes, as was the whole hotel. Our room faced the ocean with a beautiful view from the veranda for afternoon reading in the sea breeze. The hotel courtyard, lobby and restaurant are all open to the oceanfront as well. There's no pool and no beach, and almost all of the customers appear to be working rather than vacationing, but the location at the far end of the Carenage is ideal for tourists interested in walking around town. Our early-morning hike to Fort Picolet, about 2.5 km each way, justified an extra large breakfast of the restaurant's great omelettes, toast with lightly spiced peanut butter and guava jelly, almond-flavored pancakes etc. The restaurant is wonderful for lunch or dinner, and the tuxedo-shirted waiters will happily set a table and serve from the menu or improvise at any hour. For variety, it is also a short walk a few yards east to the less fancy, sand-and-surf vibe of the Deco Beach bar and restaurant, or west to the cosmopolitan party atmosphere of LaKay for pizza and a full menu, as well as the well-stocked Kokiyaj supermarket and restaurant. A hundred yards further is Cape Haitian's small tourist market, and the city itself whose lettered-and-numbered streets make it easy to find destinations such as KayLolo for artwork at 15th and E, the cathedral and Marche de Fer etc. We also did day trips by car to Labadie and Fort Liberte as well as Milot for the Citadelle Laferriere and Sans-Souci Palace. We really did not know what to expect, but were delighted to find that northern Haiti is rapidly becoming more tourist-friendly although it's still a challenging destination, especially for English speakers. We found the new Bradt guidebook to be indispensable with just a few changes since its publication in 2012, and are very thankful to Dominique and Regine for their help and advice, and to all the staff for a wonderful week at the Auberge du Picolet.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TuftsTraveler
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I stayed at the hotel for a week.Upon my arrival i've noticed the difference from other hotels:The cleanliness is beyond reproach,the decoration is modern,very warm and inviting.Their staff are very nice and professional.The room was spacious to my liking and was also kept clean.They are several restaurants in the area but i ate at the hotel because the food is excellent with a beautiful menu selection and there is a nice view of the ocean,depending on where you seat.I would like to specially thank the two sisters(the owners)for being so attentive to my needs and other customers as well.Overall I had a lovely time and I hope to return soon.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My boyfriend and I are both of Haitian parentage and although we had visited Haiti many times before, wanted this trip to be touristic. Our itinerary started in Cap Haitien and after reading reviews on several hotels in the area as well as receiving recommendations from friends and colleagues, we decided we would "wing it". While waiting for our flight from Port au prince to cap Haitien, we decided to call Auberge au Picolet for a reservation. They were extremely accommodating considering there was a conference taking place there. They sent a taxi to meet us at the airport, and this driver, eventually became our guide during our entire stay. Due to the conference, we spent our first night in a clean and comfortable room with a queen size bed, ceiling fan, a/c, and television but no view. The staff then upgraded us to an ocean view room that had recently been renovated. The King size bed had luxurious bedding, bathrobes in the bathroom and a wonderful terrace facing the ocean. The bath had stronger water pressure than my apartment in New York and I enjoyed my hot bath at the end of the horseback ride to the Citadelle. Breakfast was included in the cost of the room and I will confidently add that it was delicious. the staff was friendly and professionally trained in hospitality. They were able to anticipate our needs, provide us with clean service and the food was spectacular. I am most happy that Auberge au Picolet is run by two young "Capoise" sisters who have taken over the family business. They are dedicated and ever present. They bring a fresh energy and eye for detail to the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the ocean
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Deborah A
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My first time in Haiti, I spent my time at this hotel and ever since then I have always spent my time here. I would recommend this hotel to anyone because it is absolutely the best. The food is great and the employees are very nice. They are very kind and will provide you will the best service. Many find Haiti to be a poor and dirty place but staying at this hotel you would not figure. This hotel is very beautiful and homey. I am always welcomed and taken care of. Every time I come back to Haiti, I stay at this hotel because it is the only hotel I find the best. Thank you Regine and Domnique.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family