“Great idea, but in need of upkeep”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Mikuzi Kingston

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kingston
Mikuzi Kingston
Ranked #19 of 27 Kingston B&B and Inns
Chicago
“Great idea, but in need of upkeep”
Reviewed 9 January 2010

Before I say anything else, I would say that Mikuzi can be a decent option for your trip to Kingston if you keep a few things in mind.
1) A lot of love was put into this place when they designed it. However, the rooms haven't been updated in awhile, so make sure you are okay with very basic rooms. The room we had had a kitchen which was nice
2) There is very little right around Mikuzi, so you have to travel by car if its dark out. This place would have been much more accessible to stay at if we had a car.
3) It was very quiet while we were there. If you are looking for peace and quiet, this is a perfect get-away from the business of Kingston. If you are looking to meet other travelers, this is not the place for you. Everyone who was staying there just kept to their rooms

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank havensje

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Southern California
Reviewed 11 November 2009

I have traveled solo in Jamaica many times and certainly understand the range of available accomodations. I admittedly got taken in by Mikuzi's charming website and a pleasant phone chat with the owner, Valerie, despite having been warned to avoid the place by two Jamaican friends.

Unfortunately, Valerie was not on the premises when I checked in and her son, Chad, was in charge. After being shown a variety of rooms that were much more shabby than charming I decided to stay because of the close proximity to several sites I intended to visit in Kingston. I checked into the front cottage only to find the entire floor swarming with ants before I even unpacked [only to be told they had no bug spray on the entire property!] and eventually settled into another that was very cramped and dingy. While the entire property looks like it may have once been charming, cleanup and repairs seem overdue and Chad, apparently acting as manager during Valerie's absence, seemed annoyed by any interaction and uninterested or incapable of basic pleasantries.

The Marley Museum was on my agenda for the next morning and since Chad specifically told me it opened at 8:00am I started out early, arriving at 8:30 -- only to find that the museum does not open until 9:30am!

It was my intention to stay in Kingston two nights but after one night at Mikuzi I was ready to leave. I moved on to Port Antonio, where Mikuzi has another property [which Chad's only comment about was "it is rustic"], but based on my experience in Kingston I did not even consider those accomodations.

Valerie and I spoke before I left Mikuzi and she seems like a nice woman who is trying to make a special little property, but the place needs some attention and she would benefit by having employees who enjoy and understand tourism.

It was only after I left Kingston that I learned the worst about Mikuzi -- I received an email from a friend who said she called Mikuzi several times while I was there and asked the man who answered the phone if she could speak to me briefly or if he could give me a message and she was told, "no." In twenty-five years of traveling I have NEVER stayed anywhere where they wouldn't at least take a telephone message for a guest !!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank Clearingcustoms

Travellers are raving about these Kingston hotels

Split, Croatia
Reviewed 1 April 2009

Mikuzi is a nice guest house in Kingston 10.you have many options...rooms are from 50us to 125us dollars.
I had little apartment with kitchenette,cable tv,internet,air conditioner..
you can visit web site for more information www.mikuzijamaica.com
I really enjoyed,people are so kind and nice.ambient is so relaxing.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank ellie_Croatia
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 5 March 2009

The Mikusa has a pretty garden exterior and it has wireless internet. The Mikusa is in a safe location and walking distance to Hope Road and Bob Marley museum. Pharmacy and grocery store at Sovereign shopping center are ½ mile walk. These are the high points. But, if you want a room comparable to a minimal budget hotel in the US be forewarned, this is not it. We stayed twice, for 2 days at the beginning and end of our trip to Jamaica. The first room was tolerable as a cheap place to stay. The second room we stayed in had little hot water in the shower, a drip of warm one day to dance in, and none the next. We ended up heating water on the stove for a sponge bath. No hot water piped to the bathroom sink. A general feel of grunginess. It took forever to boil water on the stove, which we did for drinking water (maybe water is Ok, but we didn’t chance it and did not get sick in Jamaica.) Their reservation system is not reliable – both stays we had to overcome some kind of issue. We reserved a 2-bed room and when we got there (second time) there was only a single bed. We ended up throwing a stained mattress on the floor for the second person. So, if cost is your primary consideration it’s a tolerable place to crash, but don’t be fooled by the pretty internet pictures.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank steve0728
Milford, Delaware
Reviewed 1 March 2008

We expected a nicer stay based on the price and the reviews. We asked for a king sized bed and paid $85. The room was big and included a kitchen. But our 'king' sized bed was actually two twin beds pushed together, which we couldnt see when we were initially shown the room. It's very uncomfortable when you're sleeping and you're slipping in the crack! Also, the A/C didnt work when we got there and it took the maintenence man 15 min to fix it. In addition, it had no remote and no buttons, and we couldnt adust it or turn it off/on. On the plus side, the hotel is in a residential area that is quiet and safe; the landscaping is beautiful and unique and they have a cozy, sezy gazebo in the front. They also have free wireless - nice plus.

Stayed January 2008
2 Thank fatnice
philly
Reviewed 30 June 2006

very relaxed family style hotel in a nice area in new kingston, close to half way tree and many of kingstons attractions. clean comfortable rooms that were a good price. ill be back next time i go to kingston!

• Stayed January 2005, travelled on business