“Heaven in the hills”
Review of Strawberry Hill

Strawberry Hill
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Myself & my family have arrived @ Strawberry Hills, haven been met with a scented towel and a Signature Rum Punch, we proceeded to enjoy a traditional Jamaica feast for a lunch.We were then showed to a bedsit in Kingston, if you had told me i would fall in love with a bedsit in Kingston i would have said your crazy, but this bedsit has a few special features, for instance a view from 3.5k ft above the city with a beautiful balcony to sit and sip a cocktail while you drink in the view of the caribbean, a four poster bed with equal views, and a cocktail bar that is second to none. Oh and that wonderful pool not to mention an simply amazing spa.

I read a few views that appeared to not get this place, its steeped in musical legend and history its a totally unique property in a fantastic part of a wonderful island. Its mystical to be sitting in the clouds enjoying such world class service.

Strawberry Hill is unique the ultimate boutique hotel experience if i could i would move in.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Tlee313

Reviewed 7 December 2012

I've spent a good deal of time in Jamaica over the years for both pleasure and business, so when I planned our honeymoon I knew I wanted to show my husband one of my favorite countries in the world. Since hubby isn't a beach person I figured we'd start out at Strawberry Hill, and it was totally worth it!

I made our reservations about 3 months in advance- we booked Timbuk 2 for 3 days and got the 4th day free. We also pre-booked transport from the airport and to the express bus station in Kingston, along with a 3 hour hike. There were no problems with communication, our ride was at the airport when we arrived and we got a nice early morning ride down to the bus station when we checked out. The bill came out to exactly the amount I'd expected- no hidden charges or confusion. I was very happy with that!

The room was perfect for us and most certainly worth the price. Nicely decorated- comfortable, not flashy. Flatscreen tv, water heater and coffee press, a big fridge. The bathtub was deep and the showerhead had great water pressure. Our bed had 2 separate heating pads, so each of us could control how warm we wanted our mattress- that was a really nice touch! The view from our balcony was amazing and it was great to wake up and hear so many different types of birds right outside our window.

We lounged around the pool one afternoon- they provide big strpied beach towels on each chair. The pool was very cold (it uses local river water and since it's an infinity pool the water is constantly cycling), but I thought it was refreshing. The pool area has an insanely gorgeous view. In general it's a great area to hang out, have a drink and soak up the atmosphere.

Also, I'd definitely recommend the Gordon Town hike. It's a 3-hour hike roundtrip, and on a scale of 1 to 5 I'd rate it at a difficulty of 1.5. Super easy and really pleasant. Again, definitely worth the expense.

I'd have to say the only thing not worth the expense was the food. It's wasn't bad per se (the baked goods were excellent, as was the coffee), but it was very, very expensive for what it was. My husband had an 8 dollar bowl of porridge one morning, but aside from that we took a short walk down the hill to the small cafe and ate all our meals down there (the food there was pretty good and the beers were inexpensive). But if you have the money to spend and you're not feeling like having to leave the property for meals then I'm sure the menu is fine.

All in all, I have to thank the folks at Strawberry Hill for making the first leg of our Jamaican honeymoon so enjoyable.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank greene_ave
Reviewed 13 November 2012

My wife & I live quite close to Jamaica & some of our friends visited this resort & highly recommended it. After reading the reviews on TripAdvisor this further supported what I expected to be an amazing weekend. I think we must have been extremely unlucky as it just didn't live up to it.

Firstly we had confirmed our transport 2 days before arrival, to then turn up at the airport & no-one to be waiting. We called the hotel who did not have our booking & then spent the next hour on the phone back & forth being told it was on the way, then told to use someone from the airport. The drive from the airport is about an hour & is reasonably comfortable although the road loops around & around so be aware if you get travel sick easily. Upon arrival the hotel more than redeemed the fiasco at the airport by giving us a complimentary dinner & spa treatment. I do feel if the problem with the transport hadn't happened I may not have been as disappointed with everything else that went wrong! However as I am about to explain, the lack of co-ordination seemed to be apparent throughout our stay.

The location is stunning & the environment & views which the hotel provides are top class. They have about 12 seperate accomodations ranging in variety but all quite separately set into the hills. The one we stayed in was nice, a little dated, but this added to the effect of the place. On the down side, the water went off (around the whole resort) as I was in the shower one morning & didn't return until late afternoon, the light in the bathroom was broken, we had to ask twice for someone to come & fix the toilet, the electric (actually all over the resort rather than just our room) kept flicking off & on throughout the day, the cable TV stopped working altogether on our last night, the safe was locked on our arrival & although I asked 4 times it wasn't until the last night that someone confirmed that the key had been removed by previous guests & therefore we could not use the safe. On the plus no-one stole anything!!

As I say I think it was the bad start that maybe got me picking up on all these points & we probably got unlucky hence I still think given the environment & how friendly all the staff were i would have rated this a 4 as I justified that this was all just bad luck on our part.

However I need to knock off a further point for the general service which is maybe again harsh as I think it may just be the lifestyle there. Anyway, the main resort section is nice, a log fire for the windy cold nights in the bar & interesting music disks around the walls as the owner is also the owner of Island Records who is linked to Bob Marley & the early U2 albums amongst others. The views are spectacular. However although the service was always extremely friendly it just seemed like they needed some energy & co-ordination. We would be asked what we would like & then 10 minutes later a different server would come over to clarify. The brunch was supposed to start at 12pm but we were still waiting at 12.30pm. These are just examples. Once the food/drink does come it is actually pretty good (even though I have seen others saying differently on Trip Advisor), only problem I would see is if you stayed more than 3 nights it is a bit of a limited menu.

So in summary, putting the small things aside I would still recommend this to a certain degree to friends & family but for the city prices you pay to stay there you would expect there to be better co-ordination & more efficient service to justify the price.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TravellerGC
Gregory S, Director of Sales at Strawberry Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2012

Given so many options out there, we really appreciate that you both chose us for your recent stay. We certainly don’t take for granted the fact that the vast majority of guests to Strawberry Hill , including yourselves, come to us through recommendations both by friends and the favourable reviews from trusted sites like tripadvisor.com. Our aim is to make things right 100% of the time and whenever we fall short to ensure that the situation is not only identified but rectified so as to never occur again.
Unfortunately your stay occurred just after the passage of Hurricane Sandy which had a broad effect on our telecommunications, utility and service delivery. We really had to rely that much more on our staff who themselves had suffered losses and worked tirelessly through less efficient manual procedures. Thankfully for the most part we were able to maintain the high degree of service throughout that period and we are happy to report that those communications, utility and service delivery problems have been rectified and in most cases improved on.
Unfortunately you were one of the few unlucky ones (as you put it) and in recognizing that we wanted to make it apparent through this medium that we have subsequently reached out to you to make things right and welcome your acceptance of a return visit in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

All the different kind of flowers, the refreshing blue mountain breeze, all the birds, lizards and beautiful nature are just a small sample of what can you find in this place. If you visit Kingston and need to find a peaceful moment, this is the place you have to go. The view and the silence are amazing as well.
One of the greatest things that happened to me there was when I asked the waitress if they served blue mountain coffee...her answer was: "Sir, Blue Mountain coffee is the only coffee we serve in this place"...but she forgot to include in her comment that is one of the most delicious and complete coffees in the world.
BTW, the food is awesome too.
Had a great time here…

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Hernan P
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Born & bred in Jamaica, I've returned a gazillion times between 1975-2010 visiting numerous places of interest with friends, family, husband and introducing children to my childhood memories. One year we missed a trip to Strawberry Hill due to miscommunication with our driver, my husband was able to visit and promise he had to get me their. August 10-12 was the best sleep, meals, drinks and relaxation we had outside of a luxury cruise we opt to use for ultimate enjoyment,

Room Tip: TIM 2 I thought was the perfect cottage if you don't mind stairs. The veranda is in the perfect...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank cj111
Reviewed 8 September 2012

This property is AMAZING and view of the city and mountains are to die for! I enjoyed being surrounded by nature at its best with my love by my side. We had a very short visit but it felt like forever. Check in was quick and easy; with a very attentive receptionist. We stayed at Cedar suite which had an amazing view but was very basic and I expected more because the property was recently refurbished. I expected to be wowed by the food as well, but that was not the case. Dinner choices were limited and very basic...the eschoveited shrimp was nothing like the name suggests and the service was VERY slow. We waited far too long for two apple martinis by the poolside (where it was just us!). Thankfully we enjoyed the martinis. The breakfast menu was not so bad...loved the freshly squeezed orange juice; coffee was great but the bacon was almost burnt. The Sunday brunch was tastefully displayed but it lacked flavour and that "Jamaican spice" I was looking for, the oxtail was dry and almost burnt (oxtails are supposed to be juicey to the bone with a nice gravy). The food and service in the restaurant definitely needs improvement. The food and beverage manager however was delightful!!! A trip to Strawberry Hill is not for the food but the awe of nature and a view comparable only to Gee Jam in Portland :)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Stephanie L
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Been to this hotel numerous times and in fact got married here. Set on the slopes of the Blue Mountains and consists of 9 cottages, so very select, peaceful, calming Staff are fantastic, always helpful, efficient, nothing is too much. Fantastic 360 views of Kingston and the Blue Mountains, very very peaceful! Rooms have TV, ironing facilities, CD/Radio, safe, 4 poster beds wih mosquito nets, water, fridge, tea and coffee making facilities, all perfectly decorated.

Great restaurants and food, great pictures all around, many of stars that have stayed at Strawberry Hill, including of course Bob Marley. One room is full of Gold Discs.

Never go to Jamaica without spending time in this Chris Blackwell hotel.

Room Tip: You can use taxi's but we find it best to have a car
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingston
The Spanish Court Hotel
#1 of 35 in Ocho Rios
The Knutsford Court Hotel
The Knutsford Court Hotel
#7 of 25 in Kingston

Been to Strawberry Hill? Share your experiences!