“Vacation”

The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed 1 February 2013

I went to the Pegasus Hotel from January 25-29, 2013 with my two sons and wife. We had breakfast included in our rate. The breakfast and service was excellent, the food was well done and plentiful. The staff was friendly and helpful and the breakfast was buffet style.
I would recommend this hotel and to everyone. Its very central to a lot of other places, cinemas, park, night club etc.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank quakeroatis

Reviewed 22 January 2013

During 2012 I had to travel every week from Miami to Kingston for work. I tried 3 other hotels before I ended up trying The Pegasus Hotel and once I visited it I stayed there every weeks for 6 months. I really felt at home. The staff went out of their way every time to help me. The Manager Peter Hilary was extraordinary and really made an effort week after week to make me feel at home. The newly renovated rooms and common areas are great. I really recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Kingston for whatever reason.

Room Tip: Best rooms at 15th floor
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We stayed at the Pegasus for nearly three weeks and had a very positive experience during our stay.

The staff were helpful, friendly and efficient from the moment we arrived. The food was great, both in the main dining room and on the club floor where the staff were particularly helpful. Rooms were clean and comfortable with plenty of space. The pool was brilliant and big enough to swim laps or just relax.

The hotel is an older building with furniture and fittings reflecting the age but is currently undergoing renovations. While the renovation is obvious this appears to be being managed well and we experienced minimal disruption during our stay.

A very welcome feature was free, reliable internet at good access speeds throughout the premises which should be a feature of all good hotels.

The hotel is in a great central location opposite Emancipation Park with good security with good access to all parts of Kingston and a good choice for those with business in this city.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 January 2013

The customer service at the Jamaica Pegasus is truly lacking. Employees are dismissive and unfriendly.

I arrived at the Pegasus at about 4am in the morning with a child. I emailed the Pegasus prior to my arrival on several occasions, in order to ensure that I would have a room upon arrival. I never received a return email from anyone at the Pegasus.

When I arrived at 4am on a Friday, they informed me that they did not have a room available and the only way that I could get a room was to pay for Thursday night. Needless to say, my brother, myself and my 3yo niece had to stay in the lobby area until it was time for check-in.

The staff conducts themselves as if they forgot that they provide a service and are to accommodate their guests. The one good thing I can say about the Pegasus is that the food was pretty decent for a hotel's continental breakfast. However, not even that can make me get over how my family and I were treated during our stay. Point blank, I will not be choosing the Jamaica Pegasus again.

• Stayed: December 2012
5  Thank Luvleewon
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I have stayed at the Jamaica Pegasus several times over many years and the hotel continues to maintain its tradition of excellent service and friendly staff. It is an older hotel but clean throughout and within the hotel it is very safe. The location is good for business travelers is it is in the uptown section of Kingston.

Room Tip: Rooms that do not face the pool are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Brian R
Reviewed 12 December 2012

This is a good place to stay while conducting business in Kingston.

The reception area is large and accommodating, and there are many rooms available for various functions.

As noted in other reviews, the rooms are old and outdated.

The business centre is very old and in need of an upgrade.

The staff is generally friendly although the front desk staff are hit and miss. I experienced very friendly and accommodating service as well as indifferent service from the front desk staff all in the same day. Some work needs to be done in that regard.

The servers in the restaurant are a bit slow and do not seem able to handle the two rooms when they are full. The coffee was a long time coming, which is never a good thing...

The breakfast buffet is good and substantial.

The restaurant serves a variety of local and casual cuisine at above-moderate prices.

The rooms have LAN lines which are fast and reliable.

The rooms facing the pool are fairly noisy from 7-10/11pm on weekends as the hotel usually hosts various poolside events.

The hotel store grossly over-charges for everything. Do not buy your phone cards there.

The pool is large and clean.

The Tuesday night poolside BBQ, is very good.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank drknows
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I recently stayed at the Pegasus for two nights on business. We had a decent experience on check-in (were traveling with a group) but service went downhill from there. Staff in the dining room were particularly slow and unaccustomed it seemed to serving larger groups. Food was pretty good once delivered, but I'm not sure it is worth the wait.

Hotel management seemed apologetic but unable to deliver on promises to rectify certain inadequacies. Rooms are tired and in desperate need of upgrading. Some smell very musty.

Hotel grounds are nice and once the pool deck area is complete, should be even nicer. Location is central in New Kingston, with as much safety as you can expect in the city.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business