“Wanted to rate higher, but...”

The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
New York City, New York
“Wanted to rate higher, but...”
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

I was really torn about this review because certain aspects exceeded my expectations, while others let me down. On the positive side, everything is clean. The lobby is nice and open. Each of the restaurants I dined at were delicious. My room and bathroom were spacious & modern. There was a refrigerator and a comfortable bed. I had the royal club lounge available to me. Breakfast wasn't worth it, but the happy hour from 6-7 was! The service I received met my standards. The pool is nice and the gym is enough to get by (a couple treadmills, exercise bikes, an elliptical, dumbbells range from 5 - 50 lbs and there's an "all-in-one" combo machine - but it's pretty dated). Now, the major problems I had were that I had no hot water for 4 days and on one of the nights I was here, they had a pool party into the late hours that kept me awake with loud music when I had to be up early for work (and I was on the 16th floor!) overall, I would try out this hotel again hoping I got a room with hot water and I would make sure no pool parties were coming up.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Peter H, General Manager at The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. It is indeed a pity that there were a couple of issues that marred your stay for which I apologize. I will send you a note off-line to find out more about the water issue, because we did not have any major issue that we know of. It must have been isolated to your room, so I would appreciate your replying when you receive it so we can pinpoint the defect.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
PH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This is not my first time staying here. My only complaint is that I did not have a view of the pool from my room and the pool closes too early. The buffet breakfast was very good I enjoyed it very much. I was allowed a late checkout for a small fee without charging me a whole nights rate since I had a midnight flight. It is right across from a park for those who like to jog and walk. The location is perfect and there are accessible forms of transportion for those who need it. Had a great stay at the Pegasus and will return.

Room Tip: get a pool view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fee319
Truly appreciated the 'loved it' headline. The entire team is dedicated to making our guest feel comfortable and at home, and it is gratifying to learn that we met your expectations.
Thank you for the positive review and please visit us again soon.
Bishop's Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I cant believe all the negative reviews on here.The pegasus is my 2nd home and the pegasus family treat me like their family.The staff are extremely friendly.I must admit i have never done breakfast as i dont do mornings,HOWEVER the 24/7 cafe is amazing.The redbean soup is to die for,fresh baked toast with it too,yum.The desserts and icecreams are a real bonus to me.The staff all know me by name and im always given the same warm welcome when i return here time after time.My first room the aircon was broken however the wonderful LT had me moved straight away and the bellman was sent to my room straight away to help me with my bags even though i didnt need help.I was telephoned shortly after to make sure i was comfortable in my new room.The beds are extremely comfortable with mattress topper,the bathroom isnt the ritz,but i dont expect the ritz.Its clean and it does its job,who stays in the bathroom all day anyway?....I commend the staff here.They are wonderful to me.

1 Thank neilrastley
Peter H, General Manager at The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Wonderful review and thank you.
Please keep coming back and we'll continue to go the extra mile for you.
Respectfully.
Montserrat
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Although they were renovating some of the rooms while I was there, I was never disturbed with noise.
The rooms were classy and comfortable. However, the bathrooms on the 15th floor were a bit cramped. Hope they are changing this.
Enjoyed the incredible view of Kingston. The staff were all courteous and helpful and the food was enjoyable. I like the fact that you can get local food on the menu and its not all international cuisine.

Room Tip: Ask about the bathroom if you need lots of room to maneuver :-)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Peter H, General Manager at The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for your comments.
Yes we are indeed renovating the entire property with the aim to re-establish itself as the premier business hotel in the Caribbean. Most of the ground floor spaces have already been completed and we are actively attacking our 15 bedroom floors - one floor at a time.
I was very pleased to note that our renovation did not mar the enjoyment of your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you again to the Jamaica Pegasus, when your travel plan has Kingston in its itinerary.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I'm a Hilton Kingston fan, so was gutted when i heard it was shut due to a fire in the kitchen. for this reason i ended up next door in the Peggo ! It was OK and itsd had a makeover. Lovely coffee shop now in reception and a funky bar, but i had dinner each night at the pool bar outside. Menu was a bit drab but it was fine and better than sitting inside the restaurant - same menu BTW.
Gym was in need of expansion and the rooms are quite old now so going to bed at night was not something to look forward too, but i dont want to beat the plaxce up too bad, i would stay there again for sure next year if the hilton is not back open and the staff were great ( bit lazy round the pool bar at night though - talk a lot and dont watch the punters needs ) Swimming pool was old but it was ok and the area was good for relaxing too. I hear Marriott are opening next year ! maybe.

Room Tip: pool facing - kind of
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Peter H, General Manager at The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for staying with us.
Yes we are in the midst of a multi-million dollar renovation project and have almost totally completed the ground floor levels. Bedrooms take a bit longer to complete but we are working tirelessly to have all of them totally refurbished as soon as possible.
Your comments about service levels around the poolside have been shared with the team so you should see an improvement on your next stay.
Thank you for your experienced input.
Respectfully
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We arrived as a group of Travel Agents. We were met by Peter Hilary our fabulous and equally charming host and General Manager. The property is remodeled and beautiful. The dinner we were served was spectacular and I cannot imagine it getting better than it is. Brilliant Service, food and accomodations. The location is fabulous. They have a lovely gym and outdoor tennis courts. I have never visited previously but I would stay and play at this resort in a heart beat. The breakfast is complimentary. The lobby an public areas are absolutely beautiful. I am delighted that this resort chose to host us and I would so recommend that you ask your travel agent to send you to beautiful Historic Kingston and spend a few nights at the Jamaica Pegasus....you will not leave disappointed I promise.

Room Tip: I personally liked the rooms above the beautiful pool and garden area.
1 Thank Deborah P
Thank you for your flattering and wonderful words. It was a pleasure to host you and your group, and we are delighted that you all had a favorable experience.
Do come and visit again soon, but in the meantime please tell everyone about Jamaica and Kingston.
Albany, New York
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The hotel is clean, relatively modern and the staff is responsive. I was surprised how nice it is as I used to live in Jamaica and had medium expectations. I don't know why anyone would go to Kingston except for business? But this is the best choice there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Your comments are well received and we appreciate your taking the time to pen your views.
We are constantly striving to improve the overall guest experience and it is gratifying to note that in your case we succeeded.
Thank you again.