“Quiet and comfortable”

Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Quiet and comfortable”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I stayed at the Liguanea Club the weekend while on vacation to Jamaica. Most of my time was spent in Negril but I came over Friday morning to check in at the Liguanea Club for the weekend.

The front desk staff was pleasant and professional. I was given a quick review of where the pool, breakfast and other points of interest were.

I went to my room which was a separate building. The room was huge and very clean. Nothing posh but clean and comfortable. I found everything in working order such as the fridge, microwave, a/c and hot water.

I feel the rooms are outdated but since I didn't come to Jamaica or any place I vacation to stay in the room it wasn't such a big deal. I had a king size bed, sitting area and again nice cold a/c so that worked for the small amount of time I was in the room. I enjoyed exploring that side of the island and was only in the room to shower, change clothes and sleep.

The breakfast was nice that was the only meal I had on the property but I enjoyed the breakfast in the small tropical garden setting.

The hotel was in a great location and I could walk to many nice restaurants for happy hour, the Quad night club, Emancipation Park and downtown period.

I found the property to be quiet and comfortable being in the downtown area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
TheLiguaneaClub, Member Services Coordinator at Liguanea Club, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Hello DiniJ16. Thank you for your feedback. We are in the process of making even more improvements so on your next visit you will see further evidence of this. It seems you really got a chance to experience the nightlife here. That's great! Our central location is one of the perks of Liguanea Club. Just one small thing, we wouldn't be considered as being in the downtown area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Many years ago when I worked in the hotel industry I had lunch here with my friend and then General Manager. I have never thought of staying here before and during my recent trip, saw it on Bookings.com and decided to try it, thinking it would be fun memories. My partner warned me that it could be a dive for the very reasonable rates, but I decided to go ahead because of all the positive reviews. Was I wrong. The room as OK. The bathroom had mismatched tiles, awful plastic shower curtains that were torn, the shower head needed changing, the water was barely luke warm, not hot; the water pressure in the shower was barely adequate and once I had to call housekeeping as the water was barely dripping. She advised that Engineer would come and look at it, they never came.

The restaurant was OK. I had read great things about it and was looking forward to having dinner there, but there was nothing special about the appearance at dinner, and there was hardly any one there, so when my friend came by for us to have dinner there, we opted to go to Spanish Court hotel instead for dinner.

The bar was musty and uninviting. Again I invited a friend over for a drink and we opted not to be on the patio because it was very hot. We went in the bar and the atmosphere was so bad, that despite having limited time, we went across the Pegasus for a drink.

The staff at breakfast were untrained. One morning while I waited an unreasonable long time to place my order despite the restaurant being empty, the waiter opted to set another table while I waited. I am not a big eater, especially in the mornings, but I dont consider 2 slices of toast and fruits as garnish as continental breakfast. On the menu this was described as fruits, toast and pastry. I never once received pastry in all 4 mornings. Waiters would stop by to serve you tea while having dirty cups in hand that was being cleared from another table. Sometimes they rested the dirty cups from another table on my table, while they were attending to my table. The servers were never pleasant or friendly. The first morning, I ordered 1 or 2 camomile tea from the tea tray. The second morning I had the last one, and for the rest of my time there, the choice of tea was red rose or regular black tea. Usually as soon as I pour my tea, the tea pot with hot water was removed. I was never asked or had the opportunity to top up my tea.

The front desk staff were friendly, though sometimes too friendly (shouting out my name across the room).

I was kept awake the first night from the lights in the corridor coming through the open louvres (which cannot be closed). The remaining nights, I took it up on myself to turn off the lights in the corridor. The rooms are also noisy as you could hear all the cars from the streets etc.

The best thing about the hotel is the location. I didnt want a full amenities hotel like Pegasus and all the smaller hotels are on side streets where I would not feel safe walking late nights or wouldnt be as conveniently located.

I would definately not recommend unless you only want a place that is safe, clean enough and conveniently located to crash your head at nights.

Room Tip: Dont stay in room 1. I had a peek at several other rooms when they were being cleaned and Room 1 se...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank olrowe
Hello olrowe. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. While it is always good to her the good experiences, hearing the concerns are important too. Our rooms have been renovated. We hope you will return again and have a chance to experience them.

Thank you for sharing the issues you experienced with the staff. This is not the norm here and certainly not in keeping with the high standard we hold ourselves to. You can be assured that there will not be a repeat of such behaviour. With regards to the Continental breakfast, it is fresh fruit with a choice of either toast or pastry, versus both. There is also the option of an American or Jamaican breakfast.

We hope to have you stay with us again. We will ensure the experience is far better for you.
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

courteous, considerate and helpful staff members,
up to standard cuisine with choices
very convenient location for city tour
good services through out

there's only one thing that bothers me, and that is the flies passing by restlessly around tables at meal times which is very unpleasant, try using natural bug repellent-ting plants as table decor and see if it works, i know there is one for mosquitoes and have used it before, so there should be one for the flies too. please do something about it because i plan to use this hotel again should my future traveling take me back to Kingston.

and they know how to make a good blue mountain despite the falling quality of this years beans.

let me make myself clear that i am not talking about the jablum machine coffees you get at the airport which they unbelievably asked if you want sweetened condense milk in it! i was shocked my eyes look like they were popping out.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Hello KayJayScot. Thank you for the review. Despite being outdoor dining, we have not heard a complaint about flies, but we thank you for advising us of this and will look into it more closely. Be sure to come back soon for the coffee!
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I traveled with my adult son on a recent trip to Kingston. Both of us shared a pleasant room and made the Liguanea Club our home base for a weekend stay in Kingston this past labor day. This place is not a cookie-cutter hotel. It's quite the opposite. In fact, it's a very unique hotel with a great staff and friendly guests. I wouldn't call it a touristy hotel, but it's a perfect place to stay if you want to explore Kingston and the surrounding area.

On this trip, the hotel provided breakfast as part of the room charge. During breakfast, I enjoyed sitting on on the veranda watching folks playing tennis across the gardens. Again, quite pleasant. If you are looking for a big fancy hotel there are other options nearby. The Liguanea Club is a great place to stay with long history in Kingston. Besides the friendly staff, the colonial building architecture never ceases to amaze me.

Room Tip: I have only stayed in the main building. Ask for something on the opposite side of the parking area...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Hello JimboNorth, we appreciate your feedback. We are very pleased to know that you and your son had a pleasant experience with us and can't wait to have you as our guests again in the future.
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Local food available from the much-improved kitchen. Breakfast under the mango tree to the sound of tennis balls being whacked around the many courts of the club. The club has been refurbished, the grounds are well-kept and the rooms are clean. Overall the atmosphere leaves little to be desired.

• Stayed July 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2013

A very comfortable, quiet and quirky hotel that offers a most relaxing and pleasant stay. It is a sports club - tennis, squash, swimming and fitness close at hand - has a great bar and restaurant and is staffed by exceptionally nice people. Club members are very friendly and if you are looking for a partner for tennis or squash, only too willing to oblige.

The rooms are clean and well equipped, if a little old fashioned - but great air-conditioning, fridge and TV. Excellent internet connection - high speed. Close to Emancipation Park and key government offices in New Kingston. Easy walk to the stores, including a large supermarket for fruit, etc.

I have now stayed at the Liguana Club three times in 2013 - and will certainly stay there again on my next visit to Kingston.

Room Tip: All rooms are good but second floor rooms near the tennis courts are not so well insulated for noise...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank john2030
St. Louis
Reviewed 11 July 2013

You arrive and perhaps recall the scene from Dr. No where Bond drives up to the entrance, his would-be assassin in the back-seat, duly dispatched by the secret agent....it's the same place, but instead of a government setting, it's the venerable Liguanea Club.

Enjoyed my stay here; old school accommodations in Kingston, moderately priced, and with a fine terrace for breakfast. the sort of place area businessmen frequent, the nearby tennis courts produce sweating players getting a little workout at the net. The staff is assured and professional, you are quite near the busy Pegasus Hotel, and the city park bearing the same name as this hotel is the briefest of walks. There is no elevator, so be advised if this would be a problem.

In short, value for your $$, if you are staying in the capital city of Jamaica----I very much enjoyed the flavor and ambiance of The Liguanea Club, and your well-being and safety is a given.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business