“My new best place to stay in Kingston”

Altamont Court Hotel Kingston
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
San Jose, California
“My new best place to stay in Kingston”
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I have been going back to Jamaica since 1970 just about every year since migrating in 1969. I became addicted to one major hotel in the heart of Kingston and no matter the bad service, the small outdated rooms, the high price I found I could not stay any place else. I loved the life of the lobby, some of the amenities and the staff I have come to know over the years. I have been through a few renovations too with them. A few times I tried to get recognition for being the longest, consistent visitor to their hotel, a gold medal, life member discount or something for my years of faithful service. They have given me a few discounts over the years. Three years ago I discovered Altamont Court Hotel not as big, not as busy but compared to my addiction measured right up and I have been going there since. It is a small family property, great location and reasonably priced. I find the rooms no worst than than this other big hotel I was addicted to. So, if you are looking for a place in New Kingston, check it out. I am late with my review but better late than never. I am getting ready to head back May 2011. Hope to see you there!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank Titch66
chrisaction, General Manager at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this review, 20 November 2014
We thank you for the business....... keep coming back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2011

The Altamount Court Hotel is in a great location in New Kinston Jamaica. It is within walking distance of many amenities and also has easy access to taxi and transit. The room I stayed in was reasonably clean. I had a quiet and comfortable sleep. Free internet in the Business Centre. General staff was pretty friendly, front desk seemed to be a mix between moody and pleasant. With all these great things I still can't help but feel I didn't quite get my moneys worth. The atmosphere is sort of a tired worn out version of the pictures shown on the website. I had been looking forward to taking a dip in the pool but after noticing all the floating debris I had to take a pass. Food in the restaurant was delicious but expensive with small portions. I would recommend checking out the Hot Pot just around the corner for a wider cheaper selection of local dishes. Good news is they were doing some renovations during my stay. I might try giving this hotel one more try to see if those changes help, because again the location is awesome. Otherwise I might just pay a little extra and go to a close by hotel with superior quality and service.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Mizclaudi
We apologize for the shortcomings you experienced. We have noted the lack of attention in the maintenance issues you highlighted and have made corrections in the way we manage and monitor such matters. we thank you for keeping the door open and giving us an opportunity to get it right for you.
Canada
Reviewed 26 February 2011

My fiancee and I LOVE this hotel. Clean VERY quiet, excellent customer service.Very comfortable King size bed. Great value for the money. We planned to stop over one night and stayed for 4.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shankishek
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 5 September 2010

On arrival at the hotel, on Sunday morning. we were greated by one of the young women, Leath, at the front desk who assisted in checking us in. Our bags were taken to a second floor suite, by Andrew, a mildly mannered young man who proved to be very helpful. From there, we moved on to breakfast in the dining area/ restaurant, where we had ackee with cod fish and oied green bananas, fried dunplings and yellow yam. Two of our boys chose liver along with the previously mentioned ground provisions. The serving staff was very pleasant and never appeared unfriendly at any time. The rooms were reasonably spacious and there was a kitchenette complete with microwave, small refridgerator, plates, cups and saucers, cutlery. There was also an ironing board and iron. We also had a balcony which was private enough for us to sit and have a meal if we deceided to dine in. Our boys were very happy because they were still able to chat with their friends via the internet. Like I say there was value for the money, and I have been recommending this hotel to friends and acquaintances.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank FamilyReunion2010
We thank you for your kind comments and are happy you enjoyed your stay..... hope to see you again soon..
Baltimore,MD
Reviewed 28 January 2010

My trip was from Jun 30, 2009-July 6,2009

Arriving at the Altamonte Court Hotel, had been a rough day for my family and I. We were looking for places to lounge because we were going to go to Negril the next morning, and there was NO other rooms available but this one. We had to book the LOFT SUIT which was absolutley astounding but pricey! $180/ nightly but since my husband was a resident of Kingston it was $20 cheaper. The loft suit was great but it was a little small. It was great because the couch turned into a bed and the upstairs had a King Size, Plasma TV and small Bath. I had the pool and bar side. It was loud at times when people had events, the Mango Tree Resteraunte was outstanding as well NOT YOUR ORDINARY CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST it was FREE there diner was a bit pricey for what was expected but it was overally nice. However we down sized the second night to just the double beds when it was available and it WAS DEFINATLEY NOT what I expected it was horrible and we had to change out of the room, the toilet ran all night and we had a unexpected vistor after I had told the lady who looked like she was from INDIA ((hotel staff)) DO NOT let anyone know I am here.((LONG STORY)) . But he was banging on my door and my family was scared! The location was great centrally located in the heart of NEW KINGSTON because you have nearby shopping, grocery shopping, AND Club Asylum,KFC which is very popular there.

The hotels amenities was

WiFi, Computer Lounge, FREE Continental Breakfast,Jacuzzi,Pool

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank thekingswife20
We apologize for causing your stay to be less than expected. We have since your stay, made several improvements including both security procedures and training methods of our team. We hope come back to get a feel of the changes and improvements.
New York City
Reviewed 6 August 2009

My stay at Altamont Court Hotel marked my third stay in Kingston. I was initally put in a 1st floor room facing the back of the property. I asked to be placed somewhere that got more sunlight and was moved to a front-facing room on the second floor. I was pleasantly surprised at how clean it was.
The only issues I had were as follows. As a single traveler I did not feel comfortable walking the back streets to get to the main strip. However, the most disturbing issue was that an acquaintance of mine was able to come up to the room unannounced on several occasions. When I spoke to someone at the front desk about it the response was the person must have been mistaken as a guest. Visitors should be screened more thoroughly.
Other than that it is a good value for the money.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Day117
We have noted your comments and have since changed the way we manage the flow of visitors. We apologize for the inconvenience caused.
St Thomas, VI
Reviewed 2 July 2009

The Altamont Court Hotel presents a cheery, small facade with small tropical garden as you enter the heavily gated, small hotel property. After hearing so much about the crime in Kingston, I didn't know if the gates were a good sign or bad, and though they made me feel secure inside the property, they made me leery of the neighborhood outside the gate. After my first night, though, I began to feel better.

The lobby and rooms are small, and there's NO ELEVATOR. The supersized will not be comfortable here, I don't think. But everything was clean and looked newly renovated. The rooms were comfortable, but I had just spent a week hiking, camping, and traveling by bus throughout Jamaica, so anything that was clean with hot running water and electricity would look like heaven to me!

I found the people at the front desk extremely helpful. They helped me arrange a Kingston tour with a local taxi driver ("Cowboy") at 6 a.m., and did several internet searches for me to help me find cultural activities for the evening.

The on-site restaurant was a bit pricey, but Cowboy suggested the two restaurants within walking distance - Hot Pot (literally a half block away) and something else that I can't remember, because I didn't go to that one (though others in our group did, and they enjoyed it). Hot Pot was just divine - fresh local juices, plenty of tofu options, and a lovely proprietor and staff. My curried tofu with white rice and veggie sides was $600 Jamaican, which was probably less than $7 US. My passionfruit juices were extra. The meal was cooked to order with fresh, hot, green peppers.

As one reviewer mentioned, there are few amenities at Altamont, but the Hilton is just a few steps away. They have more standard US-style hotel amenities (coffee/pastry bar in lobby, gaming center, etc), but very little charm.

Emancipation Park is about 1 block away, and so is the Little Theater.

I would definitely stay there again if I were to do another leisure vacation to Kingston.

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank Ms411
We apologize for the less than perfect service delivery and offerings. However, since this guest's stay, we have added a gym and boardroom and now offer the several amenities mentioned in their comments...including fridges and kettles in all rooms. We hope this guest allows us the opportunity to serve them again with our new offerings.