“Didn't even stay here and I have a review!”

Altamont Court Hotel Kingston
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

I waited a while to write this review because I wanted to give the hotel time to redeem themselves. I made a reservation in July 2012 on the hotel website. In August I decided to stay in MoBay. I tried to cancel my reservation on the website, but there's no link that allows you to do that; so I called the hotel. The employee insisted that in order to cancel my reservation and get my refund back I had to do it on the site (even though I tried to explain the website doesn't allow that). She was very short with me and quite impatient. Nevertheless, I sent an email to the email address listed on my Pay Pal invoice. By October I still hadn't heard anything about the canceled reservation or the refund of my deposit. I sent another email and they said they would get back to me that day. It was now December and I still hadn't heard back from the hotel. Between the reservation person I was talking to and the manager, I wasn't receiving any help. The manager claimed that she explained everything to me already and she requested my credit card number. To this day I have yet to speak any manager!!! She clearly had me mixed up with someone else. By mid- December I sent my credit card number by email to the reservation person. The management staff went as far as sending me an email of a refund receipt. It is now the second week of January and ALL NOW the money can't reach back on my card. I'm so disappointed in this hotel, its management and staff. I never stayed there and I will never stay here. If you have a reservation and you have to cancel, just consider your deposit gone forever!

• Stayed: October 2012
chrisaction, Owner at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2013

We apologize for the excessive delay in completing this transaction. Throughout the time taken to process this transaction we were in intermittent dialogue with the customer. More recently however, the customer was again contacted and the matter was settled (ie. the refund was properly credited to the guest's credit card). The delay resulted as a consequence of a series of errors (banking related) that had the credit twice refunded to the wrong credit card account . (The human error occurred as the transactions were done manually since we nor the bank were in possession of the physical card). Unfortunately, the guest was made to feel unnecessarily anxious regarding what she thought of our intent. We gladly provide refunds once proved valid and have never had any intention not to do so in this or any other case ...as I think is clear from our deliberate attempts to follow up (by e-mails) on the success of each transaction. We again apologize for having created what appears to be an air of mistrust and lack of confidence in us and our operation.. We respectfully request that this guest give us another opportunity to show the type of service she expects and we like to deliver.

Reviewed 15 November 2012 via mobile

I asked to be moved out of room 106 and they didn't accept the request as if they didn't care at all that the internet didn't work at all and the cable signal was very bad. They said someone would come to check the problems and nothing happened.
I could tell the hotel is not full so other rooms are available.

• Stayed: November 2012
chrisaction, Owner at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2012

We apologize for the treatment meted out to this guest. At the time of his stay we were experiencing problems with both the internet and cable connections in some rooms. The situation was poorly handled as our agent did not respond by either offering a room change (as is usual in such circumstances where the problem cannot otherwise be quickly/easily solved to the guest's satisfaction) or by following through by making a report to the guest as to the progress of the repair required. As such, we have been doing retraining of our team members to reinforce the following of proper customer service procedures and guidelines. We are in the process of changing both out internet and cable service providers (to a superior service) and expect this exercise to be completed by early January (2013). We expect that these changes will cause our guests to be satisfied with our general service.

Reviewed 22 October 2012

I was travelling to Kingston for business when I stayed at the Altamont Court Hotel. This was my first trip to Jamaica, and the client had made all the travel arrangements including my flight, hotel, and taxi service.

When we arrived at the hotel, I noticed that it had an extremely small lobby. They had a small sitting area there so people could wait on taxis. The check in process was quick and the staff were friendly. There was a small area for buying snacks and other sundries, but it didn't have much of a selection.

There were no elavators at the hotel, and I had to take my bag up three flights of stairs to get to my room. The room itself had high ceilings and a four poster bed. It had a flat panel television mounted on the wall and a small round table beside the window. There was also a small refrigerator. The internet connection in the room was a little slow, but it worked enough for what I needed. The air conditioning in the room took a while to adjust the room temperature due to the high ceilings, but you could turn on the ceiling fans or open a window if the room got too stuffy.

The hotel had a restaurant, a bar, and a pool. The few times I visited the restaurant or the bar, they were mostly empty. I am not sure if this was because the hotel had a low occupancy during my trip or if people were choosing to eat and drink somewhere else.

I'm not really sure what was near the hotel as I did not venture out except to go to work in the morning and return to the hotel at night. It seemed that every business had gates for security, and this hotel was no exception. The gate ran the complete perimeter of the hotel and there was a security guard at the one entrance at all times.

Room Tip: If you don't mind carrying your bags up three flights of stairs, the top rooms have the best vie...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank weary_traveller25
chrisaction, General Manager at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2014

We thank you for your comments and observations. We are happy to report to you that since your stay the salient issues you raised concerns about have been addressed.
1) The internet speed had been improved. As well, we have added more antennae about the property for more consistent service.
2) The small lobby area you referred has been expanded and refurbished
3) Though we still have not yet installed an elevator, we now have a bellhop on duty available to assist in moving bags up and down the stairs.

We hope you come again soon so that you may be able to comment on our several improvements.

Reviewed 14 September 2012

I was here for 3 nights septemer 6 to september 9 and i just love this hotel rooms was clean mi love the food and the staff was lovely so i give it a 10 out of 10 i'm thinking about going back real soon

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo

Thanks for your review.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

My husband and I stayed at this small hotel in Kingston and were impressed by their prices per room compared to neighbouring hotels. On arrival we were warmly welcomed and had excellent service from the reception and especially the dining room staff.

We were however very disappointed by the garish paintwork (brilliant blood red walls combined with a deary mustard yellow!!) and especially the windows to the bedroom. The cutains were fixed, unable to draw even during the day and overall gave a very darkened and cloustrophobic ambiance to what was a good sized, relatively well furnished room with a very comfortable king-sized bed. Luckily we did not have to spend much time in the room during the day.

Overall the Altamont is good value for money and especially with the use of a car, very well situated for viewing Kingston, museums, theatres,Devon House and other heritage sites. Please, please do something about the colour scheme and a general refurbishing and we would be happy to recommend it to friends and stay there again when next we visit Jamaica

Room Tip: Book a room with a balcony as these are useful for sitting outside for meals and a drink or just ,&q...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Marie6240

We are thankful for the constructive feedback. We are in the process of refurbishing (15 rooms/month) which includes the manufacture and installation of new drapes and wooden rods with wands for easy opening and closing of these drapes as well as the repainting of rooms. We expect the process to be completed by February 2013.

Reviewed 6 September 2012

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at this very quaint hotel. Upon arrival the staff were very accomodating and friendly. Rooms were very clean and comfortable and the dining was scrumptious in the Mango Tree. It is certainly in an ideal location, and an excellent value for money. We had friends who stayed at the Pegasis during our stay and they indicated that they perferred the Altamont, as they had lodged there on a previous visit. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation. I would also recommend Hot Pot just at the end of the street for good dining as well.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Shelley C
chrisaction, Owner at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

We are glad that we were able to make your surprise a pleasant one and hope you come visit with us again soon.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

We flew to Kingston Dec 2011 and had booked Altamont Court hotel for 2 nites before going north coast. When we arrived in the middle of the night, they couldnt find our booking. They looked for it for a long time without finding and then the reception girl started calling other hotels but nowhere was room because of the upcoming election day. Finally we slept for couple of hours in the back room of the reception on chairs. It was not a nice nite. In the morning they hadnt still found our reservation so we wrote email to our booking agency and left to Montego Bay a day earlier. We did book our last nite on Jamaica to this same hotel since our flight was from Kingston. By then Bookings.com had replied to us that the person they talked to had found our reservation and that we should talk to the hotel in order to get compensation. We didnt get any explanation why our reservation was lost then. When we arrived back (Jan 2012) to the hotel after 2 weeks stay in the north, we talked to the manager and he had heard about our troubles and was very apolozising. The hotel agreed to compensate the troubles by giving discount or upgrade to a suite. We took the upgrade with free breakfast (wasnt originally in the deal) and were satisfied. All in all the hotel is ok average hotel. (Junior?)Suite was in 2 floors; bedroom, tv, wc upstairs, sofa area with tv, bathroom downstairs. On European standard hotel about 2 - 3 stars but comparing Jamaican standards it was better. Not too cosy interior to my mind (upstaris too massive furnished and downstairs uggly colored sofa..). Hotel had nice breakfast areaa and you could use computer for free at reception (when it happened to work). Ok for staying couple of nights. 20- 30 min to airport with taxi.

Room Tip: didnt get to see standard room
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
chrisaction, General Manager at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2014

We apologize for the inconvenience experienced on this occasion. The situation here was as a result of overbooking which really was as a result of the booking. We, however accept responsibility once the guest comes to our doorstep. We have since, improved our management of online and agent bookings in an effort to bring greater efficiencies to the process of reservation confirmations.