“Quirky and charming with some challenges”

Altamont Court Hotel Kingston
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Victoria, Canada
“Quirky and charming with some challenges”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Having read some of the previous reviews I had to smile at some of the comments about the difficulties/deficiences people are reporting at the Altamont Court.

We are a Canadian couple in our 60s who have been spending half of the year in Montego Bay for a number of years, so we're somewhat accustomed to the quirkiness of Jamaican life. We have come to accept that Jamaica is a developing country and the services, behaviours and amenities we take for granted in Europe and North America and even other more developed Caribbean countries, cannot be taken for granted here. The power goes off, the internet goes down, the water is shut off; it just happens. But it does get fixed or restored eventually. What the heck, you'll never freeze to death.

What I like about the Altamont Court in Kingston is its friendly, happy, helpful staff and its very quaint ambience. It's a small, older hotel with some very lovely attributes, such as the inner and exterior courtyards with local plants, beautiful wrought iron gates and colorful painted murals. The owners seem to be slowly but surely investing in room and other upgrades (known as 'uplifting' here in Jamaica) and the results are quite lovely. And the staff is proud of the improvements. The rooms are clean and many have balconies. The pool is small but reasonably clean. And the whole restaurant/bar/pool area is quite charming.

I do think that there is room for further improvement though. And because the manager here seems to be sensitive and responsive to feedback, I'm putting forward the following suggestions.

1. Kingston is not an easy city to navigate or know. It's topsy turvy, badly planned, not pedestrian friendly, and can seem quite daunting and dangerous to visitors (not unlike Montego Bay, but on a larger scale). Perhaps the JTB (Jamaican Tourist Board - who, I understand, are quite richly funded by the government) could create and provide hotels with a visitors’ map that is available at the reception desk. The map can provide information about and locations for shopping, dining, entertainment and cultural landmarks. Visitors want to know where the closest grocery or liquor store is, or where the shopping centres are, or where the National Gallery is, or where the best restaurants are. Most of these locations are unwalkable from the hotel, but there are route taxis and drivers at the front gate who will take you where you want to go for a reasonable price. But you won't know where you want to go unless you have information about what is available.

2. The hotel restaurant is only average, on a good day. Jamaican food is never really 'haute cuisine' and the reason for that is that Jamaica has to import most of the food that North Americans and Europeans take for granted, and it's very costly. Also, many locally grown fruits and vegetables are only seasonably available. And Jamaicans aren't generally into 'haute cuisine' anyway, so don't expect pate de fois gras or other exotic items. Having said that, there's no reason why, for example, the 'salad' at dinner time has to be so uninspired. Shredded iceberg lettuce and tasteless salad tomatoes with carrot slivers and Thousand Island dressing - are we back in 1972? Local lettuce (dark green and full of life), plummie tomatoes (red and bursting with flavor), feta cheese, pear (Jamaican avocado - when it's in season), balsamic vinegar and olive oil are always available at Megamart. And Kingston has a Megamart or two. So yes, some foods are scarce here, but many are easily available at the local grocery stores. And how about some papaya (always available) for breakfast, with ripe banana and yoghurt. And maybe throw in an espresso! The Jamaican breakfast buffet is just ok.

Apart from Mark, our very congenial and accommodating server on the nights we ate at the hotel, the service in the restaurant is struggling too. Not sure if it's the training, but you could make a big difference immediately if you took that darn television out of there. It's located right in front of the serving/greeting station at the entrance to the restaurant and the serving staff turn it up too loud (very Jamaican) and watch it instead of attending to their work or the customers. It's distracting and annoying for the guests who might prefer either blessed silence or music played at a low volume that's suitable for a hotel restaurant. There's enough noise in Jamaica to go around for everyone. No need to drag it into a hotel restaurant. And what is a television doing in a restaurant anyway?

3. The Wifi, especially if you're using a device of some kind, is very bad. It cuts out and leaves you hanging or dead in the water. It's not so bad on a laptop but with a phone or tablet it's pretty iffy. I know that Wifi in Jamaica is undependable everywhere, so I'm not sure what can be done about this. Trying to fix internet (or any other) problems in Jamaica is a bit like trying to dig a tunnel to China. Good luck.

4. Visitors might like to be given a hotel information sheet (updated weekly) when they check in. You could provide information about driver/route taxi rates, what to do about internet/wifi problems, check out times, work that's happening in the hotel at the time, events that are planned in the hotel or in the city generally, contact information for certain problems. Just a welcome/information/about-us sheet. People like this kind of information and it will help to engage your visitors.

5. Noise. Jamaica is one of the noisiest countries I have ever visited or lived in. All the vehicles (cars, buses, cabs, trucks) are old and in need of repair and nobody can afford to fix them because either the parts are unavailable and/or they can't afford to make the repairs. And Jamaicans aren't happy unless their music is turned up to the highest possible volume. It seems as if they'll die or fall asleep if loud music isn't playing somewhere close by. And they're totally insensible to visitors’ sensitivities about noise. We once went to 'quiet, laid back' hotel on the south shore and as were walking in the front door a couple of fellows waltzed in with amplifiers the size of small cottages. When I asked the reception desk what was going on they told us there was a wedding planned for that evening. I knew right away I was in for trouble. And I was. Lesson learned. When booking a hotel in Jamaica, always ask reception if there is an event planned for the night(s) you're staying. If they say yes, ask if you can book a room where you won't be disturbed by the noise. Or find another hotel. Because they will not turn down the music, and even if they do, it will only be for 5 minutes, and then they'll start falling asleep and crank it WAY up again. It's just a fact of life here and it is relentless. Buy ear plugs. And the hotel should give them out at the front desk. The good ear plugs. Wax ear plugs. Or the hotel should be prepared to move people to other rooms. It's really one of the most annoying things about Jamaica. But because most events are held in outdoor spaces it's inevitable.

6. The hotel does provide an accessible outdoor space for smokers on site, but maybe someone could clean out the butts occasionally? Funny story – one evening I was at the dreaded smoker bench and noticed that the butt receptacle was getting pretty close to the top. So I asked the fellow at the gate how often they clean out the butts. He said “when it get full’. So. I really think it should be done twice a day. There seem to be a lot of smokers out there who are abiding by the no smoking rule in the rooms, so give them a break.

All in all, given what Kingston has to offer, and unless you're in the Pegasus bracket, I believe the Altamont Court is fair value for the money. If they can keep moving ahead with improvements to the rooms, putting some effort into the restaurant offerings and service, and catering a bit more to their patrons in terms of information, it could easily become a destination boutique hotel. They certainly have the charm. And there's also an Altamont in Montego Bay. We haven't stayed there but we did eat there a few years ago and it's also a charming and quirky hotel. Montego Bay is more of an all inclusive for tourists kind of place so fewer tourists will go to a regular hotel. Still, it's a sweet place.

Jamaicans have a keen and lovely sense of humour and irony and there is nothing quite so enjoyable as having a bit of a joke with them. I love to see them smile and hear them laugh. They seem to take the ribbing in good stride and you'll enjoy yourself more if you engage them on that level. Greet them with a smile and say ‘good morning, good afternoon, good evening and good nigh’t and you will always be welcome. And always try to remember that this is their country. Sometimes they're as frustrated with the lack of progress as you are, so chill mon.

Room Tip: Always ask about events (with noise) that might be happening on the days you reserve.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank vic2riabctraveller
chrisaction, Owner at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We agree that there is always room for improvements and hope to be at an advantage as far as being able to implement continuous upgrades in response to such feedback directly from our guests. Such observations are sometimes difficult to digest, but we are always thankful to receive them. For clarification, the hotel has a generator capable of running the entire hotel indefinitely (as long as there is adequate fuel) and a treated water tank capable of running the entire hotel for 3 days at full occupancy.
You may have noted that there were speakers in the restaurant. This is because we are in the process of installing a new music system to provide the background music you recommended. The thinking behind having a TV in the restaurant is that it might serve as a welcome distraction for guests while they wait for their meal and its genesis came about during the coverage of the last Olympics when many guests asked that one be placed there. We acknowledge that the controls are perhaps a bit laxsed and will look about implementing better controls (volume control). The restaurant's "waiters' station" is being relocated to an area which will allow the team to answer the phones more quickly and meet and greet the guests more efficiently (from a time management point of view)
Our WIFI system uses the largest carrier on the island as the main provider with the other two as default providers and we recently boasted best on property coverage after a recent revamp of our antenna coverage. We are familiar with the challenge of inconsistent service when using a tablet and are incidentally presently doing further IT upgrades in an attempt to overcome this shortcoming.
As regards noise, in consideration of our guests, we do not host on our roof terrace (open sided), any functions that are scheduled to run later that 11pm which we consider a reasonable cut off time. We certainly agree with the importance of advising the guests of possible disturbances and will ensure (through additional training) that this is being done on a consistent basis.
We will continue to train our team so that incidents like the one you experienced with the ashtray is not repeated.
We are truly thankful for your candid comments and will continue looking at every way that we can improve the product in general. We hope that you will come again and comment further after the implementation of the several "uplifts" that are in train.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I just spent six days this past week (August 26-September 1, 2013) for my birthday and I must say that I was very disappointed. One would think that at $137 per night a hotel room that is called the Executive room would have the basic amenities, i.e., a clock radio, and a refrigerator. I found out on their website that if I needed a refrigerator I had to request one before I checked in. As to the refrigerator, I never knew that refrigerators still made such noise. That thing made so much noise in my room it hindered me from sleeping and at times I had to turn up the volume on the TV to drown out the horrible noise. Other things that one would expect to find in the hotel room is an internal directory for the hotel. I wanted to order room service from the restaurant and I had to dial 0 for the front desk, who in turn called the restaurant who then sent someone up with a menu, who proceeded to stand at the door waiting for me to peruse the menu to place my order. The drapes in my room were horribly dirty and had paint in certain spots. The lining behind the drapes are sheer, and the drapes are thin so all the light keeps filtering in my room which made sleeping very eventful for someone who can only sleep when it is dark. The louvre blinds in my room do not close properly and that enabled the mosquitoes to make a meal out of me whenever I was in the room. Try as hard as I could I never picked up Wi-Fi on my iPhone and it took about 3 hours for my laptop to connect to the internet. As to the restaurant, the breakfast menu is repetitive. And please stop serving the steamed cabbage for breakfast. Novelette on the wait staff is a gem, she always has such a pleasant smile. The good things about the Altamont Court, the bed, spacious and clean rooms and the pleasant disposition of the staff. I have a reservations there for October and I am having second thoughts about keeping that reservation. P.S. I had the pleasure of encountering and killing a cockroach in my room.

Room Tip: Remember to call ahead to request a refrigerator and a clock radio for your room if you need them, t...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Feline828
chrisaction, Owner at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
We thank this guest for taking the time to report the anomalies described in letter. We are in the process of equipping all rooms with fridges but in the meantime have some on standby that we provide to satisfy any such request(s). The noise that the guest reports as coming from the in room refrigerator was actually that of a 1 ton unit that provides service to the "Entertainment block" close to this guest's room . That unit has been serviced and the noise it was making while cycling from low to high has been corrected. We apologize for the disturbance this caused. Our internal directories are being redone and should be ready to be placed back in the rooms by month end. Room Service menus were also being re-done at that time and have now been placed in all rooms.. We apologize for the condition of the drapes (paint on the edge of it - likely caused by a careless job of painting or touching out by our maintenance ream ).Unfortunate as it may be, things sometimes get overlooked by our maintenance or housekeeping team. That does not make it acceptable and we have begun a process of "rotating" the housekeepers who would normally on a particular floor so that "fresh eyes" can observe some shortcomings that might otherwise have been overlooked. Incidentally, we are also in the process of upgrading the drapery in the rooms (as you may notice mentioned in a previous response) and have one floor left in order to complete the process. The guest complains of louver blinds (I assume meant louver blades) not being able to be properly closed and allowing mosquitoes into the room. Again we apologize. this problem has bee corrected. Regarding the complaint of the Wi-Fi service, we have not had complaints related to the signal strength but rather having to do with the particular setting on certain computers being used by guests. In addition to the Wi-Fi service offered on property, each room has voip phones that have a port on the back to allow hardwire connection to a computer or other electronic devices. We recently engaged a new Food and Beverage Manager and we have already noted improvements in our service delivery as well as quality of food being served. We likewise thank this guest for the compliments and hope you return and test us on the improvements overall.

Travellers are raving about these Kingston hotels

Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

I had a wedding ceremony and reception here and the staff really blew my mind away with their friendliness and accommodative spirit. I was not very decisive and this event was planned in a very short time but the execution of this day's events were almost perfect. Any issue I had was dealt with very quickly. Any issues my guests had were handled as well. My day use room was very lovely and food was great. The staff really accommodated a few unusual requests in my opinion nevertheless they handled them like it was something that they offered. Even after the event they were still pleasant towards me even though my event ran late and they needed the area. They also assisted me with getting items back to my additional caterer and to me for personal things that i left behind. I believe that they go above and beyond for their guests. Also if they cannot provide you with something they are willing to outsource for you. Words cannot express my gratitude towards the staff here. I will never firget the world class treatment that I received at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Stacy-AnnW-F
chrisaction, Owner at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
We are always happy to learn of another satisfied customer. Thank you for choosing us and giving us an opportunity to serve you....and congratulations on your wedding.
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I stayed at the Altamont for a 12 day business trip. I was confident that the hotel would be a good choice, but I have to say that I'm confused about the contrast of the good and bad things happening at this hotel. I must say that I still don't know why this hotel was rated so well.

The good:
* Probably the best part is the bed. Thumbs up for this one.
* Spacious room.
* Rooms are clean.
* Hotel look is nice, with all the tropical gardens and all.

The bad:
* The worst part is the service at the restaurant. Sometimes they saw me sitting down at a table, and completely forgot about me for 10 minutes, then decided to take my order. There was another time when they took my order, had me wait for 20 minutes, only to take my order again (that night it took more than 1 hour to get my food). To add to my confusion, there were times when my order was really fast to come. Breakfast is varied (not much), but you may end up waiting too much for it. I had to wait several times 20 or 30 minutes for a fruit platter! I was offered more coffee only once during my entire stay (I need caffeine to function!), but the second cup never arrived! Something is really wrong in this restaurant. Half of what they have in the menu is not available.
* Location: although the advertise it as being "just behind the Wyndham" (which is actually true), to actually get there you have to go through several scary looking streets
* Their online reservation didn't work. I was lucky to have decided to do my reservation made over the phone (do that if you plan to come here).
* Internet connection is awful. It just comes and goes, and sometimes you just can't connect. It was so bad that I had to buy a Digicel line with a data plan. Only after that, I had a stable internet connection.
* Lack of amenities: for a hotel that's $135 a night, rooms lack amenities that you'd expect to have without asking, such as a wake up alarm radio, coffee maker or a small refrigerator. These things are so basic that you assume they'll be there.
* Hot water: just comes and goes.
* Noisy: rooms are not well isolated from external noise. When they had events, all the noise coming from them was still too loud in my room. This was really annoying.
* Room is too expensive for what they offer. In other countries, you get rooms like this for less than $75 a night.

In summary, a good bed in an average hotel with an awful restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from reception, those are too noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank MFeterman
chrisaction, Owner at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
We thank this guest for the compliments on our rooms and general appearance of the grounds. I have noted the complaints about service in the restaurant. I hope this guest will acknowledge that problems and issues particularly in a hotel setting are mostly a snapshot in time (unless of course the same negative comments/complaints are often repeated). Following on your comments, we have assigned a lead agent to respond to such issues of service in the restaurant. We were experimenting with different menus for certain days of the week in order to mitigate against the sort of repetition that our long stay guests complain about from time to time. There was a bit of confusion on the roll out of this service and we apologize for that.
The guest mentions that though we are right next door to Wyndham Hotel " you have to go through some scary looking streets" to get to our property. I am not sure what that means, as the same streets that are well lit and we consider safe (with a police sub-station manned 24 hours only a city block away), are used to access Wyndham's main parking lot which is less than 50 metres from our main entrance.
The online reservation system was at the time not working and a message has subsequently been put up while we address reservations by email or phone and work on repairing the problem.
Internet connection: We recently revamped our entire internet system (as you will see was mentioned in an earlier reply to a similar complaint) The system at the time was still being tested for directional positioning of the several antennae for greatest efficiency We have since then also added additional antennae. I believe that that issue has been remedied.
Amenities: As of Wednesday July 10, 2013 we will have coffee makers and or kettles along with sachets (coffee, tea, creamer, etc.) and in all rooms. (We previously had them available on request). We still are working on providing refrigerators for all rooms but in the meantime have refrigerators available upon request. We hope to be implementing some other amenities shortly and will post them on our website at that time..
Hot Water- One of our hot water tanks had a leak and had to be replaced.
We apologize profusely for the noise disturbance and are looking at ways to better manage the noise levels. We do not however allow functions that are on our open sided terrace to go beyond 10pm.
Our room rates are consistent with other Kingston hotels of a similar standard. We acknowledge that amenities and services add value and as hotel improvements are a work in progress, we have recently added some features that are noted on our website.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I stayed at the Altamont a year and a half ago and really liked it. I just stayed here again for four nights this time. I noticed certain upgrades in the room. The bathroom had new tile work, the large flat screen TV with lots of channels was good and the in-room safe with personal combination seemed new too.

I really enjoy the location since the Altamont is in a safe area and nearby to lots of things to see and do either by walking or a short taxi ride. The security at the gate is nice and once again, no problem with inviting local guests in for a visit.

The breakfast was once again a nice bonus. This time I took advantage of the bar. They have a fun drink menu and my friend and I put the bar tender to work making them. All staff at the Altamont were friendly and professional.

I would definitely recommend this moderately priced hotel to anyone visiting Kingston.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank cante87
chrisaction, Owner at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you for choosing us again We are very happy that we did it for you the second time around and look forward to the third. Hope to see you again soon.
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2013

After my last review, I must say the management of the Altamont Court Hotel have redeemed themselves with me. We were pleased with the compensation provided by management in response to my last reservation mishap. I would like to publicly thank Mr. Chris Jarrett.

We stayed May 25-27, 2013, with no complaints. The complimentary breakfast was great (and this was REAL breakfast...ackee and salfish, callaloo, dumpling, banana, etc.). The desk staff was nice and friendly. They even helped me when I left an item in the hotel by arranging a taxi to bring my belongings to me. I am very grateful. If you stay over a Sunday night, I highly recommend in participating in their sweet tooth spread. It is a buffet of delicious sweets and all you can eat for one price. Compliments to the chef.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
chrisaction, Owner at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
One can never get a second chance to make a first impression so we are truly grateful that you chose to visit with us to allow us the opportunity to offer you the type service that we are accustomed to giving all our guests from check-in to check-out. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again.
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 24 May 2013

The workers were very nice and family setting. From the housekeeping to the laundry to the maintanence and the front desk. And my baby loves it! When i first arrived i was greeted most welcoming. The lady at the first desk was very gracious and nice towards me and my son. Also there were a few others who made my stay to my liking. There was Ms. Brown from housekeeping and Marcia and Howard Robinson. From the kitchen, Mark and Whitney Brown.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Annmarie P
We thank you for your kind comments regarding the service provided by our team and have relayed to them individually, your mention of their service delivery. We hope you return soon. we look forward to serving you again.