“Great Location and Security With Value Pricing”

Altamont Court Hotel Kingston
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
St Thomas, VI
“Great Location and Security With Value Pricing”
Reviewed 2 July 2009

The Altamont Court Hotel presents a cheery, small facade with small tropical garden as you enter the heavily gated, small hotel property. After hearing so much about the crime in Kingston, I didn't know if the gates were a good sign or bad, and though they made me feel secure inside the property, they made me leery of the neighborhood outside the gate. After my first night, though, I began to feel better.

The lobby and rooms are small, and there's NO ELEVATOR. The supersized will not be comfortable here, I don't think. But everything was clean and looked newly renovated. The rooms were comfortable, but I had just spent a week hiking, camping, and traveling by bus throughout Jamaica, so anything that was clean with hot running water and electricity would look like heaven to me!

I found the people at the front desk extremely helpful. They helped me arrange a Kingston tour with a local taxi driver ("Cowboy") at 6 a.m., and did several internet searches for me to help me find cultural activities for the evening.

The on-site restaurant was a bit pricey, but Cowboy suggested the two restaurants within walking distance - Hot Pot (literally a half block away) and something else that I can't remember, because I didn't go to that one (though others in our group did, and they enjoyed it). Hot Pot was just divine - fresh local juices, plenty of tofu options, and a lovely proprietor and staff. My curried tofu with white rice and veggie sides was $600 Jamaican, which was probably less than $7 US. My passionfruit juices were extra. The meal was cooked to order with fresh, hot, green peppers.

As one reviewer mentioned, there are few amenities at Altamont, but the Hilton is just a few steps away. They have more standard US-style hotel amenities (coffee/pastry bar in lobby, gaming center, etc), but very little charm.

Emancipation Park is about 1 block away, and so is the Little Theater.

I would definitely stay there again if I were to do another leisure vacation to Kingston.

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank Ms411
chrisaction, General Manager at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this review, 20 November 2014
We apologize for the less than perfect service delivery and offerings. However, since this guest's stay, we have added a gym and boardroom and now offer the several amenities mentioned in their comments...including fridges and kettles in all rooms. We hope this guest allows us the opportunity to serve them again with our new offerings.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 June 2009

if u are visiting Kingston and u dont have the budget for the big 3 five stars in New Kingston Downtown.. then u will too end up in this hotel.. like i was forced to.. as there is no other hotel in 90-120$ range in Kingston.. atleast i could not find one.. may be there are others but any how.. read on about this:

location is a clear advantage what with whatever little Kingston has to offer is in walking distance from this hotel.. otherwise.. its not even average... have uploaded pictures of the rooms.. hav a look 4 urslf how they are.. 110$ for those rooms n beds is a way too expensive.. has complimentary internet but that too does not work in all the rooms of the hotel.. didnt worked in mine so had to change.. AC was poor too.. n so was cable.. so had to call up front desk every now n then.. had to change rooms twice.. n front desk ws so adamant in that as if its my fault that the AC cable internet nothing was working.. bfast was complimentary n included d regular scrambled eggs, omelette.. etc..

didnt had a pleasant time in totality.. rooms are certainly bad.. other things may b happen once in a while..

• Liked — location and only location..
  • Disliked — everything else but location
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank thewanderer-nammo
We apologize for the less than perfect service. Since this comment we have made several improvements to both product and service.. We hope we get another opportunity to show you that we can deliver the service to your expectations.

Travellers are raving about these Kingston hotels

Grand Cayman
Reviewed 24 April 2009

I have stayed at this hotel about 3 times and finds the services good. I have traveled with Athletes and with my kids and have always found the services to be great.

I would recommend this Hotel to my friends and family to live at. Yes yes the breakfast is great. my kids enjoyed it when we visit in March.

I am planning a get away in May 09 and i will certainly stay there.

Wikka Mulata

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
We thank you for staying with us and thank you for your comments.
canada
Reviewed 6 April 2009

This hotel was ok for the price.
Central location right next to the Hilton and local stores
It was comfortable bed,room spacious enough..
I stayed for one night and felt it was adequate.
Had a good free breakfast with 3 choices of meals.
I would stay here again since its reasonably priced and central..walking distance to most places

• Liked — Price,convenience to the New Kingston town area
  • Disliked — Stairs, no entertainment
  • Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
We thank you for your comments. We look forward to hosting you on your next visit.
Oakland, CA
Reviewed 9 February 2009

I work in the music business and with alot of Jamaicans, but only went to Jamaica for the first time this past October. I stayed at both the Hilton & The Altamont and had a much better experience at the Altamont. The charm of the hotel is just lovely. Checking in & out was super simple and hassle free not to mention the staff was curtious & helpful . The first room I checked into didn't have a working telephone but I was quickly relocated (to a better room at that!) and have no further problems. The complimentary breakfast offered traditional foods, not your typical 'continental' type which I really appreciated. The property is charming and cute, romantic to say the least. I will be returning to Jamaica more often and will definitely stay here again!

• Liked — location, charming bulding
  • Disliked — wish I could of stayed longer!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for your comments. We look forward to hosting you again soon.
San Antonio
Reviewed 22 November 2008

I spent 7 nights at the Altamont on a business trip. It was recommended by a local colleague after I rebelled at the $200 + per night rates (w/ tax) of the Hilton, Pegasus, etc. With tax it was $128/night which included breakfast (adequate, nothing fancy but plenty of serve yourself coffee) and the wireless internet connection in the room worked well as did all the other amenities (AC, TV, hot water, etc). For dinner the restaurant is pricey and you are much better off hitting some of the options within a couple of blocks walking distance (Hot Pot, Garden something, others), but if you have to eat there it is "OK".

• Liked — Price, convenience, clealiness and comfort
  • Disliked — Restaurant pricing vs restaurant offer
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
We thank you for staying with us and thank you for your comments. We continue to look at ways to improve our service delivery to our guests so we have carefully noted your comments regarding pricing.
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 10 November 2008

This is one of the best hotels in Kingston. My family and I were there for Christmas time.

From the time we checked in the staff was nothing but professional. We got the suite (with the loft), and the room was clean, and well lit nothing was out of place.

The breakfast was really good, and the food was always served hot. The best thing about this hotel is how close it is to the restaurants and shopping centers.

The only problem is that the internet service in the room was a bit slow, but other than that everything was fantastic.

We'll be going back to Jamaica in April (the 9th to be exact), and we have already made reservations.

• Liked — The room, the food, the s\taff
  • Disliked — The internet
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
We thank you for your comments. The internet since the time of your stay has been improved with several additional antennae. We hope you have the opportunity to return to experience of expanded and improved offerings