“Terrible, Dont Do it to yourself!!!!!!”

Altamont Court Hotel Kingston
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Baltimore
“Terrible, Dont Do it to yourself!!!!!!”
Reviewed 23 July 2007

I can only give a short but accurate review..because the same day we checked in, we checked out!! The staff at the front desk was slow and one guy in particular was nasty, rude and beyond obnoxious!!. We were truly mislead to believe that this room could house 5 people. The living quarters were substandard as was the property and surrounding area. I understand that Kingston isnt a tourist area but i felt like i was in an industrial park. Please do your research concerning hotel accomodations in Kingston before you book..dont be mislead by the reviews..etc..do your research!!! This hotel is definitely not the place for anyone needing privacy from their roomates as well as space. The room was so outdated..the couch smelled moldy and it was so rundown that we felt the springs and the scary part was it was a sleeper sofa!!! Im not a high maintanence person..im very basic and down to earth..but this was to substandard for me and that is bad!!! The only person that was pleasant was the bell hop and Merlene the front desk supervisor and she continued to apologize for the inconvenience we had to go thru in the short time we were there.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank precious40
chrisaction, General Manager at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this review, 20 November 2014
We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We have since your stay, made several upgrades and done some re- training to improve our delivery on both product and service. We hope you have an opportunity to experience the improvements.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
New York, NY
Reviewed 23 July 2007

Myself and three other young ladies stayed in a suite on the top floor and it was a fantastic experience. Spacious closets, complete with an iron and ironing board. The bathroom was very ... roomy! And two sinks! (Great for four gals getting dressed in a rush.) The kitchen had it's own sink, microwave and fridge which we made plenty of use of (for midnight snacks of mangoes and chicken patties) and there were clean dishes and glasses at our disposal. The sitting room had a comfy couch and coffee table and a hide-away TV. The balcony was also comfortable. The best feature was the second floor beds - two full size beds separate from the chaos of the rest of the room. No matter what time we came in, there were clean, uncluttered beds for us to lay our sleepy heads on. The breakfast was tasty and, of course, the coffee was fantastic. Didn't get much of a chance to use the bar or pool. Free internet access in the main lobby. Always had a guard on duty at the gate, which was always locked and secure. It was the perfect accomodation for four girls with ten activity-filled days. We did lose water one day - but that was because of a busted water main downtown. The place was always clean and the staff courteous and accomodating. Highly recommend!

• Liked — Spacious and clean
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed July 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank AuntieBetty
Thank you for your comments. We look forward to hosting you again soon.
london
Reviewed 24 January 2007

Service generally slack at the breakfast table where I got the impression that the waiter(s) were either still asleep or just a bit thick. Was constantly given the incorrect plate of food.

Room service no better on occasion, I ordered a fish & cheese toasted sarnie & was given 2 slices of cheese on toast ...LAME!!

In fact, spent most of my time over the road at the Hotpot where at least the service & food were VFM.

The only efficiency I witnessed was when I was prepared to settle my hotel bill - in cash. And even then their personnel got J$D & US$ mixed up (to confuse me??) ...AMAZING!!

Will NOT be heading back here if I can help it.

Whoever's thinkina staying there for the cricket, I wish them luck.

- Colin - Archway, England.

Ps - Bar service okay, but jacuzzi needs a good clean!!!

Stayed September 2006
2 Thank baller-7
We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We have since your stay, made several upgrades and done some training to improve our delivery on both product and service. We hope you have an opportunity to experience the improvements.

Travellers are raving about these Kingston hotels

Cleveland
Reviewed 17 January 2007

Hi this is probably my fourth visit to the Altamont Court Hotel In New Kingston Jamaica. It was however my first visit to Jamaica during Christmas time. I was once told that around Christmas they party from December 22 until after New Years. When I say everyday, I do mean everyday!. The Altamont Court was booked online because I wanted to secure a room. That went smoothly and when I checked in that went alright as well. the information was there. I got a room on the third floor. The room was very nice with the KING SIZE bed I requested over the internet. This hotel is very clean and the staff go beyond the normal expectations to clean and provide you with the BEST service possible. They want to make sure that you are comfortable.

The housekeepers are there DAILY to secure your needs mid morning. The food is delicious and you get a complimentary breakfast in the dining room. When I say breakfast I do not mean fruit and doughnuts. I mean great Jamaican food with a choice of what you want to eat. All served with a smile. It is a great location if you like the markets, and the nightlife, museums etc. The only problem I experienced is with a very rude bus driver and when the hotel had an event, the music is somewhat loud. And Jamaica's soldiers leave a lot to be desired. But other than that if you are looking for a clean, well kept landscaped property then try the Altamont Court.

Stayed December 2006
4 Thank jamaicalover
chrisaction, General Manager at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this review, 19 November 2014
We thank you for your comments. We look forward to hosting you on your next visit.
Normal, Illinois
Reviewed 4 January 2007

This is a nice, secure hotel with good on-site parking located directly behind the three big hotels, The Courleigh, Pegasus and Hilton (the Hilton parking lot literally wraps around two sides of this hotel).

I would recommend getting a deluxe room over an executive room; the deluxe room was comfortably bigger, and in our case at least, brighter. We stayed 2 nights in each room during our stay.

You may wish to request a room on the block furthest away from the pool/restaurant, because the noise from any hosted events there will affect you if you're in that block.

The hotel had great onsite parking and excellent security present. The breakfast was a nice perk- unlimited coffee or tea and choice of a Jamaican or eggs & sausage breakfast each day. Even with a full hotel, the place did not feel crowded.

They have two computers near the lobby which provided nice internet access for us each morning.

The one drawback we had was that the hotel was unable to change money into Jamaican dollars for us; however, we got a very good rate just around the corner at the Jamaica National Bank, directly across from the Hilton.

While in Kingston we visited a number of the other hotel choices including the Courtleigh (rooms felt older and mustier), The Pegasus (hotel feels worn), The Knutsford (exterior and courtyard looked nice, but I had to duck in the hallways and felt like I was in the hold of a ship with tight rooms on the left & right) and the Christar Villas (sitting precariously on a crowded street corner near Liguanea Plaza). The only hotel that might have been a little bit nicer than the Altamont was the Hilton, but it's price was considerably higher. We will definitely stay at the Altamont on our next visit.

• Liked — Clean rooms, good rates, breakfast included, onsite parking
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank jmkurz
We thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to hosting you again soon..