Mayfair Hotel
US$372
US$134
Liguanea Club(Kingston)
US$160
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 January 2011

No, this isn't a luxury resort. It was perfectly adequate for the 5 days of business meetings I had in Kingston, though it was far from the airport and it seemed isolated from the downtown district. The staff were friendly and attentive -- they rang our rooms at 6:45 a.m. to ask what we would like to have for breakfast, which was nice, even if it was a bit much. When I arrived at 11:30 p.m., the kitchen was still open and made me a whole steamed snapper and bammy, which was delicious. The bar area with its barrel tables and chairs and view of the Blue Mountains is the best part of the hotel, with excellent food and friendly waitresses who can explain why Red Stripe Bold is better than Red Stripe regular, and a regular crowd of locals. The satellite TV is better than the cable I have at home in the US. The rooms are typical of similar hotels I've stayed in in developing countries: a tempermental shower, an uncomfortable bed, a creaky air conditioner, but again, it was completely adequate for a business trip in Kingston. Next time I go to Jamaica, I'll be heading to one of the resorts without guilt.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 November 2010

I stayed in a single room for $72 a night. The room was clean and big enough for 1 person. The staff is very nice, the bar a nice place to hang out and good food. Not a lot of tourists because of the location, but if you want to visit Kingston as part of your Jamaican vacation it is definately a nice place to stay at. Also has a nice Japanese restaurant. Don't be bothered by the (good) music from the bar until about 1 am though! The place is a hot spot for locals. Pool is lovely with a beautiful view.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Dutchy82
Reviewed 22 August 2010

We had reservations for Mayfair but when we got there the room that we reserved was not ready. According to the staff the AC was being repaired. they temporarily put us somewhere while we waited. Where we were house the couches in the living room was filthy and the AC was only in the living room. After we waited ours for our right room, no one came to us to update us. We had to go to them at the front desk. They then moved us to somewhere that we were told was where we would stay because the AC was not fixed in our room that we booked for. We unpakced and hang our clothes up only to get a call the next morning that the room was ready. I was very upset and I had to tell the people at the front desk off in a nice way. The room was still not ready because one of the AC did not come on. We had to wait another 2 hrs. The room was much better but there was no AC in the living room. The fan in the living room was so dirty. There was no remote for the TV. Room service came and the cleaning was minimal. I had to ask to get my sheet changed. We stayed two weeks and they did not attempt to change the bed linen. When the young lady took the pillow case off, I almost vomited at the sight of what I was sleeping on. I would not offer that pillow to an homeless person to rest thier head. It is a total disgrace. The bathroom needs to be cleaned and disenfected the room need painting, there was no iron and iron board. We had to beg for an iron. It seem like the hotel only has one iron because we went out and came back to find that they had opened our room while we were out to take the iron.
The staff overall is not bad. I really never came across on that was not courteous. I only have a problem with the was they do business and they way the rooms are kept. The hotel is in a very central place. It can be a beautiful place if it was taken care of. I would not recommend this place to not even an enemy. Nothing in Jamaica is cheap including staying at Mayfair. You don't get what you pay for and I think that is really a rip off.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2010

I was very superise how the nice this place was for the price, and very clean, very friendly staff

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Nice- 1st the hotel is nice for the price and in a very nice area with a good pool. I had a 1 bedroom suite with a kitchenette, everything there that was needed for doing your own personal cooking. Nasty- called 2 book the room and was told the hotel had wi fi by 1 employee but when I got there and checked in was told by another employee no wi fi, there was OCCASIONAL wi fi the 1st day then there after none. Not 2 many smiling or customer service type faces and voices among the hotel staff honestly most of the staff was QUITE RUDE! Seems as if no information is forwarded from 1 shift 2 the next cos I was asked 2 pay for my room a 2nd time after I had already paid for my 1st two nights stay. Besides for the staff and miscommunication the hotel look itself is quite beautiful, the pool is lovely and warm and the room are OVERALL FAIR. The staff just need some customer service training and 2 be more courteous!

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple