“good location but run down”
Review of Mayfair Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kingston
Mayfair Hotel
Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Second time in this hotel. Chose it again bec it is pretty good located, just round the corner of Devon House. The grounds are pleasant and friendly. But the rooms are so run down, it is a shame. Take a bucket of paint and re-paint the whole thing,can't be too expensive. Make one cleaning lady wash all the TILES in the bathrooms ! Exchange the one or the other sink. Buy new sheets that do not come off mattress when visitor turns in his bed at night. .(..)Even small improvements could be made and would show the visitor a " good will" of keeping the whole thing nice for them . But why should they, if things are running without further improvement...make and take something of visitor's feed-back !

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Rosi S

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I've been planning a family vacation for months, and we decided that we'd start our vacation in Kingston to visit with some family members that still live in the area, and to have a central place for some day trips before we headed to the MoBay.
I was originally looking for a house to rent so everyone would be close together and have more of family setting. Those plans fell through and I found this hotel, after chatting with some family members in Kingston, we thought we'd take the chance and book the hotel. I contacted the hotel via email about their different rooms and what would be available for our group. I made it very clear that we would be needing a fridge in one of the rooms because I would be traveling with medication that needed refrigeration. I was told that it would not be a problem, I asked if we could get 4 rooms close together that had either had 2 doubles or a queen sized bed in the rooms, again she stated that it would not be a problem. I explained that some of the group would be arriving the night before the rest of the group, and she said that all the rooms would be ready. When I called her back the next day, the prices of the rooms had gone up, and she argued that she never told me the first price. After arguing for 15 minutes, I told her that we were running out of time and that we'd still take the rooms, I again asked her if there would be a problem with 4 rooms close by, the dbl or queen sized beds, and the small fridge for the medication. She assured me that all of those requests would be handled. We put a deposit on the rooms and send the information around to the other family members. My parents and brother were to arrive a night earlier then us, so they were the ones that checked in first. My mom had the print out of the email, and the conformation information. When they got there, and checked in, the first rooms that they were given was 2 rooms with 2 twin beds. They went back to the front desk and told them that we had booked rooms with either 1 queen or 2 doubles and not 2 twin beds. They were given other rooms that were in 2 separate buildings. They double checked that the other 2 rooms that were also on the booking had either the queen or double, and that a small fridge would be available. The lady at the reception told them yes, the rooms were on hold till we got there. The rest of the party arrived in Kingston, and went to check into our rooms, when we got to the front desk, they had us in 2 twin bed rooms again. I was upset that this had now happened twice, and explained to the lady at reception that I had both emailed and talked to someone with reception about our reservations for the 2 dbl or 1 queen bed in all of the rooms. She told me, she had no idea who I had been emailing with or talked to on the phone, and that I had only booked their basic rooms. I showed her the email, and explained that we needed different rooms, I had asked if there would be a fridge in the new rooms and she said that there might be, she wasn't sure. We were then shown to the rooms, which was on the other side of the hotel. The buildings/rooms were very old and dated, and mostly clean, we did have a small fridge in the room, but the freezer part needed to be defrosted, so we spent the first 15 minutes, pouring hot water over the coils in the freezer so that we could get the fridge to stay cool. There was a wall a/c unit in the bedroom, but no ceiling fans to help circulate the cooling air, I called down to the front desk to see if they had a fan to help cool the rest of the rooms down. The fan that they brought to the room was more duct tape then fan and made a loud grinding noise when it ran. My parents room had a very dirty bathroom, they had to call housekeeping to come and clean the floors and the tub that was dirty. We had dirt along one wall as well. We had dinner one time at the restaurant and asked for the bill to be split. If you plan on eating there, make sure you are not really hungry when you first order your food, there was one other group that was sitting outside and we waited over an hour for our dinner to arrive, when it came time to pay the check, we had another waitress give us one bill, we asked if she could split it for us, and she told us, they don't do that. I explained to her, that the first waitress we had, said it wasn't a problem, and had taken our orders as 2. She rolled her eyes and walked off, 10 minutes later, she came back with every meal and drink on a separate bill. We had gone down the pool and took our room towels with us because they don't have extra towels for the pool, so I went down to the front desk to ask where I would be able to get more towels from for showers and such, she told me I would have to go to housekeeping, so I asked where housekeeping was and she said that they were closed for the day. I said we don't have any extra towels in the room, would she be able to give me just one and she said no, she doesn't handle that. There should be no reason that she didn't have a few extra towels at the front desk, or a way of getting more towels for us, she seemed to just want to sit at the front desk and talk on her phone then help us. When we checked out, we had another lady at the front desk that was more pleasant and understanding, she was very apologetic about everything that had happened. They didn't have any ice stations, so we had to ask the bar for a bag of ice, the only good thing about this place is the food and drinks, if you don't mind waiting a long time for service.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank CAinGA
Reviewed 5 November 2013

A friend booked this hotel last minute for us to stay 1 night in Kingston to watch a football match. We needed a family room because there was 5 of us Due to the lateness of the booking and time constraint we had to settle upon this hotel, we dumped our bags and went to the match, So didn't have time to check room properly. The family room we were given was dirty and old and shabby, seems like it hasn't been painted or decorated for years, the bathroom door was dirty and streaky( where paint has gone brownish like if someone had poured coffee over it). Needs to be rubbed down & repainted, stains on the bed sheets, won't like to imagine what it was!!!! The shower was a joke, it was the smallest shower i have ever seen, i had to open shower curtains to turnaround, because didn't want curtain to touch my skin. To add to it all we had cockroaches in the room, not little ones either. Due to the time we got back from footie and bars it was around 4am and we decided to complain in the morning instead of disturbing any other guest that time of morning. Told girl in reception in and basically she just shrugged her shoulders. I don't know about other room's condition but this family room was disgusting!!!!

Room Tip: avoid family rooms
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Barry1247
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I stayed at the Mayfair Hotel August of 2012 I enjoyed my stay staff was friendly The Room I stayed in the Air condition was lovely right temperature the only thing my room had nowhere to hang my clothes Next time I will ask for upgrade Love my stay will visit this Hotel again

Room Tip: Higher floor less noise
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Beryl2011386
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I was recently in Kingston, Jamaica on Business and decided to stay at a hotel since my family was there as well (as I normally stay at a friends) we searched and searched for a room for a few days with no luck due to a cricket team being in town. First of all, you would need to be a local to find this place as there are no signs anywhere. Then, upon entering the grounds, there are no signs to find the head office/reception. The rooms were generally dirty from use, the sheets and pillow cases were stained, the window unit air conditioner made terrible rattling noises and I think our shower curtain was purchased at a kids warehouse as it had child-like whales all over it. There are other issues with the room we were in, but, honestly, there are so many, it doesn't make sense listing them. On the bright side, the pool areas was quite nice and the The Pubs food was decent, there is also a Japanese restaurant on property that is given passing marks and the location is quite good as well (megamart grocery within walking distance). Also, our room had a kitchen... lacking in decent utensils, proper plates, good pots/pans etc. but could have been worse. The one final complaint though? they need to buy a few more irons. We received a telephone call at 5am asking us for the iron as another guest needs it... 5am!!! really, I would hate to think that I was trying to sleep! 2 points for the pool food etc. if they didn't have it... the rating would have been empty. If I have to stay in a hotel again in Kingston, I will make sure to book in advance.

Room Tip: If you need to stay at this hotel, only do so because you can't find another one, also, make sur...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
10  Thank RoadwarriorTT
Reviewed 18 April 2013

My search for accommodation in Kingston lead me to the Mayfair hotel in new Kingston. I was attrected to this one because of the price, $6300JA per night.(65us). Most of the others i checked were $85us upwards. I later realised that this hoteh were a little off the bus route, hence the price. I had to take two buses, one from parade, down town to half-way-tree, then another to new kingston, followed by a ten minute walk, to 4 Kings house close, adjacent to the Canadian Embassy. on arrival the receptionest quoted us a entirely different price from the one given on the telephone, she said the prices changed the morning of the very day we arrived. I decided to take it anyway, i paid $7600ja instead of the quoted price of $6300ja. We were given a room on the ground floor, a basic room with odd furniture and a three-quater bed, not a double bed. It had hot and cold water and air condition. In the evening there a lively atmosphere at the pool-side bar location, which were very enjoyable. The night were peaceful and un interrupted, although the bed was small. The surrounding court yard were pleasant and relaxing, with some interesting fruit trees, Ackee, Mango, Naiseberry, all made good conversation, while we sat under a large Almond tree. we were told there were 41 rooms and two restaurant one local the other chineese on the premesis. We found the staff to be pleasant and polite. We had breakfast at the local restaurant. Two pots of coffee, one portion of ackee, one portion of callaloo, boiled yam, plantain, and sweet potato. the cost were $2000ja for both of us, we were invited to eat in the court yard and not in the dining room, this was cooked to order, an enjoyable and filling meal. My overall view is, this is a no-frills establishment, in a nice part of new Kingston, close to Devon house.

Room Tip: very quiet and pleasant location, ok for short stay, stay on the pathe as you walk around the compou...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank barefootguesthouse
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I've been staying at the Mayfair for a few weeks on a project in New Kingston. My experience is generally good - I really like the hotel and plan to keep coming back.

Rooms: the rooms I've stayed in are fairly basic and some need renovation, but are kept very clean, the air conditioners work well (and are quiet), the beds are firm but comfortable, and the bedding and towels are good quality. The hotel is a sprawling complex of several low-rise buildings - some rooms have WiFi accessible from the rooms, others you may not get it indoors but can from the veranda. If you pay a little more, you can get a studio room with a fridge and stove, or a suite.

Food: This is really where the Mayfair stands out. The Pub is a restaurant in the complex that is very popular with Jamaican business people - nice ambience, and music that is low enough you can still enjoy a good conversation. Some of my business colleagues in Kingston aren't even familiar with the name "Mayfair Hotel" but know exactly where The Pub is. Their house specialty is their club sandwich, which is excellent, and the service at The Pub is outstandingly good. There is an upscale Japanese restaurant on the premises as well called Cocoro, which is not as busy as The Pub and the hours are more limited. Both The Pub and Cocoro mostly serve customers who are not staying in the hotel.

Other reviewers commented about noise - yes, The Pub is open every day until past midnight and if your room is facing the pool (which The Pub is adjacent to) you will hear music and the sound of people talking. If you are a light sleeper, it may be a good idea to request a room away from the pool, which are very quiet. And, as other reviewers noted, if you come back to the hotel at 8 PM on a busy night, you may find difficulty getting parking. On nights like this, Security generally reserves a section of parking beside the main building, and if you are a hotel guest and can't find parking, you can let Security know and they'll let you park there.

Traffic: The traffic going from the Mayfair into New Kingston can be painful during rush hour, especially along Waterloo Road, even though the distance isn't that far.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool are quieter. Studios and suites are available for a bit more money, which...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business