“Less Than Expected”
Review of Mayfair Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kingston
Mayfair Hotel
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Kingston, Jamaica
“Less Than Expected”
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Don't expect too much from this hotel. I recently booked a standard room and I was sorely disappointed when I walked in and saw cracked walls with the paint peeling. The walls were dirty. The overall look and feel of the hotel scream outdated. The staff at the front desk was neither friendly nor helpful. I asked for a room change and I was quickly dismissed and told there were no rooms available; an apology would have at least help to soften to blow but I guess I expected too much where quality customer service is concerned.

The front desk agent even hung up on me before I finished speaking - there were no more rooms available and that was the end of our conversation whether I was finish speaking or not. I do not accept the premise that because the standard rooms are economical the condition of the room and service has to be sub-standard.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank kipperson s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Honestly what more can you ask for for $70/night? Because I travel often to Kingston, I choose low-budget places like here. It's a common thing for me to do anywhere I go. This place couldn't have offered a better value. The rooms are clean, there's hot water, and the entire environment is clean and peaceful. There's also a pool, restaurant and a live pub conveniently located on the same compound. The staff is very friendly. The only problem I found is diffuculty getting wifi. They do have free wifi, but if you have non-Apple phones, you're gonna have a hard time recovering the wifi from your room so you have to visit the main office often. Also, the food at the restaurant is a bit pricey so I try my best to stay away.

Luckily, Half Way Tree, the local shopping center is only a short 20 minute walk away, if that. You can also get into a taxi for about $3 to there. I often found myself eating and shopping here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Centreville, Virginia
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This one is more like a guest area than a star hotel. You will experience ambient and pleasant neighborhood. You will what you paid for. As of cleanliness, we can request for service or change of room if you are not satisfied. They try to accommodate guest's needs - solo or group. Few my friends when it in a group as well. They are flexible. You pay better price for deluxe service. Expect a home like experience than a posh service. I will give them easily 3.5 stars to 4 stars.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Navya L
Tubingen, Germany
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Second time in this hotel. Chose it again bec it is pretty good located, just round the corner of Devon House. The grounds are pleasant and friendly. But the rooms are so run down, it is a shame. Take a bucket of paint and re-paint the whole thing,can't be too expensive. Make one cleaning lady wash all the TILES in the bathrooms ! Exchange the one or the other sink. Buy new sheets that do not come off mattress when visitor turns in his bed at night. .(..)Even small improvements could be made and would show the visitor a " good will" of keeping the whole thing nice for them . But why should they, if things are running without further improvement...make and take something of visitor's feed-back !

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Rosi S

Travellers are raving about these Kingston hotels

Macon, Georgia
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I've been planning a family vacation for months, and we decided that we'd start our vacation in Kingston to visit with some family members that still live in the area, and to have a central place for some day trips before we headed to the MoBay.
I was originally looking for a house to rent so everyone would be close together and have more of family setting. Those plans fell through and I found this hotel, after chatting with some family members in Kingston, we thought we'd take the chance and book the hotel. I contacted the hotel via email about their different rooms and what would be available for our group. I made it very clear that we would be needing a fridge in one of the rooms because I would be traveling with medication that needed refrigeration. I was told that it would not be a problem, I asked if we could get 4 rooms close together that had either had 2 doubles or a queen sized bed in the rooms, again she stated that it would not be a problem. I explained that some of the group would be arriving the night before the rest of the group, and she said that all the rooms would be ready. When I called her back the next day, the prices of the rooms had gone up, and she argued that she never told me the first price. After arguing for 15 minutes, I told her that we were running out of time and that we'd still take the rooms, I again asked her if there would be a problem with 4 rooms close by, the dbl or queen sized beds, and the small fridge for the medication. She assured me that all of those requests would be handled. We put a deposit on the rooms and send the information around to the other family members. My parents and brother were to arrive a night earlier then us, so they were the ones that checked in first. My mom had the print out of the email, and the conformation information. When they got there, and checked in, the first rooms that they were given was 2 rooms with 2 twin beds. They went back to the front desk and told them that we had booked rooms with either 1 queen or 2 doubles and not 2 twin beds. They were given other rooms that were in 2 separate buildings. They double checked that the other 2 rooms that were also on the booking had either the queen or double, and that a small fridge would be available. The lady at the reception told them yes, the rooms were on hold till we got there. The rest of the party arrived in Kingston, and went to check into our rooms, when we got to the front desk, they had us in 2 twin bed rooms again. I was upset that this had now happened twice, and explained to the lady at reception that I had both emailed and talked to someone with reception about our reservations for the 2 dbl or 1 queen bed in all of the rooms. She told me, she had no idea who I had been emailing with or talked to on the phone, and that I had only booked their basic rooms. I showed her the email, and explained that we needed different rooms, I had asked if there would be a fridge in the new rooms and she said that there might be, she wasn't sure. We were then shown to the rooms, which was on the other side of the hotel. The buildings/rooms were very old and dated, and mostly clean, we did have a small fridge in the room, but the freezer part needed to be defrosted, so we spent the first 15 minutes, pouring hot water over the coils in the freezer so that we could get the fridge to stay cool. There was a wall a/c unit in the bedroom, but no ceiling fans to help circulate the cooling air, I called down to the front desk to see if they had a fan to help cool the rest of the rooms down. The fan that they brought to the room was more duct tape then fan and made a loud grinding noise when it ran. My parents room had a very dirty bathroom, they had to call housekeeping to come and clean the floors and the tub that was dirty. We had dirt along one wall as well. We had dinner one time at the restaurant and asked for the bill to be split. If you plan on eating there, make sure you are not really hungry when you first order your food, there was one other group that was sitting outside and we waited over an hour for our dinner to arrive, when it came time to pay the check, we had another waitress give us one bill, we asked if she could split it for us, and she told us, they don't do that. I explained to her, that the first waitress we had, said it wasn't a problem, and had taken our orders as 2. She rolled her eyes and walked off, 10 minutes later, she came back with every meal and drink on a separate bill. We had gone down the pool and took our room towels with us because they don't have extra towels for the pool, so I went down to the front desk to ask where I would be able to get more towels from for showers and such, she told me I would have to go to housekeeping, so I asked where housekeeping was and she said that they were closed for the day. I said we don't have any extra towels in the room, would she be able to give me just one and she said no, she doesn't handle that. There should be no reason that she didn't have a few extra towels at the front desk, or a way of getting more towels for us, she seemed to just want to sit at the front desk and talk on her phone then help us. When we checked out, we had another lady at the front desk that was more pleasant and understanding, she was very apologetic about everything that had happened. They didn't have any ice stations, so we had to ask the bar for a bag of ice, the only good thing about this place is the food and drinks, if you don't mind waiting a long time for service.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank CAinGA
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

A friend booked this hotel last minute for us to stay 1 night in Kingston to watch a football match. We needed a family room because there was 5 of us Due to the lateness of the booking and time constraint we had to settle upon this hotel, we dumped our bags and went to the match, So didn't have time to check room properly. The family room we were given was dirty and old and shabby, seems like it hasn't been painted or decorated for years, the bathroom door was dirty and streaky( where paint has gone brownish like if someone had poured coffee over it). Needs to be rubbed down & repainted, stains on the bed sheets, won't like to imagine what it was!!!! The shower was a joke, it was the smallest shower i have ever seen, i had to open shower curtains to turnaround, because didn't want curtain to touch my skin. To add to it all we had cockroaches in the room, not little ones either. Due to the time we got back from footie and bars it was around 4am and we decided to complain in the morning instead of disturbing any other guest that time of morning. Told girl in reception in and basically she just shrugged her shoulders. I don't know about other room's condition but this family room was disgusting!!!!

Room Tip: avoid family rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Barry1247
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I stayed at the Mayfair Hotel August of 2012 I enjoyed my stay staff was friendly The Room I stayed in the Air condition was lovely right temperature the only thing my room had nowhere to hang my clothes Next time I will ask for upgrade Love my stay will visit this Hotel again

Room Tip: Higher floor less noise
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple