“Reasonable Motel (this is not a hotel)”
Review of Hotel Prestige

and 1 more site!
Hotel Prestige
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Toronto, Canada
“Reasonable Motel (this is not a hotel)”
Reviewed 8 July 2011

Prestige formally known as Sandhurst for many of us who are familiar with hotels vs. a motel setting, let it be known, this is a motel like setting. The price is reasonable and most of the staff are pleasant. The pool was nothing special, comfortable but not the best. I mean for a hotel in the middle of really no where that you feel comfortable walking alone the grounds should offer more than what they do. My sistren and I ofcourse meeting for the first time in Jamaica explored in the early evening and day to the mall which is close by but I mean your in Kingston so you always have to beware. The area is nice, beautiful homes but things are all a distance away so you will need a taxi service and they do provide information and also transportation is available if you want to go anywhere. You will see alot of artists that pass through this motel. The bob marley museum is very close by (walking distance) it is quiet and the security is available but still once you leave the gates you are pretty much on your own. If you have the money to pay to travel around you can stay here for a good price. The room we were in was just perfect, hot water and comfortable. We were not suppose to go on the veranda top floor but they seemed really cool with us. If you know locals like we did then you will be fine here. We were not comfortable with the home that we were suppose to stay in as they didn't really have running water, a shower curtain lol and it was a tight squeeze so PRESTIGE was paradise! We also went to Montego Bay for 7 nights and then came back to PRESTIGE. If your new to Jamaica and have the cash to spend on drivers to go to places that you would like to see, STAY HERE. No phones in the room but they have high speed internet and a peaceful clean setting. LOVE JAMAICA.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank SensiMina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Since the economy is bad i was looking for a reasonable place to stay, I read the comments but i decided despite the comments Im gonna check it out. i came with 8 visitors to the hotel. And of course this was a small hotel so i brought a lot of business to the hotel not to mention we decided to stay a week since we would be on the road most of the times. The guard was rude, on evening i came in and he had his shirt off in the hall way with the radio load as ever, I went to get a manage and he warned him. The receptionist proceeded to beg my guess clothes for her baby, and every minute they walked around to my room to see how many people were in the room. I told them people would be in and out of the hotel since i was getting married I had alot of visitors, i felt so uncomfortable and not to mention the horrible service. I would never in a million years stay here again. The rooms don't even have phones, this is a motel....not a hotel!!!!stay away!!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank sandie055

Travellers are raving about these Kingston hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights it was dreadful the reception and kicthen staff were so rude on both mornings I asked for some hot water to make my own special herbal tea and I was met with hostility and damn right rudeness. One day I waited over 2 hours to get my breakfast. The recetion staff were no better. The male owner was so rude and arrogant if he is not careful he won't have any tourists going to that sham of a hotel. I would never recommend any tourists go to this hotel. I myself would never ever go back there again. This hotel should not be allowed to remain open it should be closed down.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mmorais8868
Reviewed 3 February 2011

OVERALL:
The Prestige formerly called Sandhurst is one of the BEST Hotel of it's size that I have stayed in. This I should know as I travel a lot for work in the USA. The Staff was very courteous, exudes professionalism and was always willing to assist the Guest.

RECEPTION:
I had to be in Jamaica at the last minute due a death in the Family and I arrived at the Hotel based on the suggestion of my Brother. I was simply looking for somewhere to sleep and convienent in it 's location. I FOUND A HOME. The Staff at the front desk was welcoming and immediately assisted me with securing a room.

FOOD SERVICE
The meals are prepared to oder and I must say that the Kitchen Staff's' preparation and presentation of the meals is excellent . I ended up having breakfast there most Mornings when I did not need to do so.

ROOMS, GROUNDS and SECURITY
The Prestige Hotel is going through renovations, but the Grounds are impeccably well maintained. The Rooms are clean and well kept with lots of Clost space and Cable TV. The entrance to the Hotel has an open and amiable area. Sitting in this area in the Mornings and late Evenings is so relaxing. There is 24 hr Security monitoring the coming and goings of vehicles which gives an added sense of Security.

My only complaint here is that there are no phones in the rooms and there is no allocation of rooms for smokers. Ms. Dabdoub explained that eventually there will be phones in the rooms and that consideration will be given to the allocation of rooms to allow smoking when the prioritzed renovations have been completed.

SPECIAL THANKS to Ms White, Ms Lorna, Mr. Terry, Ms Dabdoub and to the Staff in general whose names I have forgotten - shame on me. Thank a million for a wonderful stay in the time of my sorrow. I will always stay at The Prestige Hotel whenever I vist Jamaica and is in Kingston.
Thanks again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank N. P. R. L
Calgary
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I'm an experienced Jamaica traveler and writer, I try anything once but it doesn't always get a glowing review. Anyways I spent 4 nights at this hotel and it was definitely not a place I'd even consider returning to.
When I called to book my room I asked "do you know the approx taxi fare from the airport?" The lady's answer was just "NO". How can one be in the hospitality industry and NOT know these things? Regardless, I made the booking because the price is reasonable.
When I arrived at the hotel I couldn't even tell it was a hotel because the front was all torn apart due to renovations. I had to ask a construction worker where front entrance even was!! When I got to the front desk the lady was less than interested that I was standing there but she painstakingly helped me anyways. We were led to our room and it seemed nice enough, it was clean and in a quiet corner of the hotel.
I also know bugs are normal in JA, I've stayed in worse places by far but the ants in this hotel were out of control. We couldn't even put a water bottle on the desk without it being attacked by the little ants. We did lose some food due to this problem as well.
We had a 3rd person arrive on our last night here which was prearranged when I made the booking, but on the phone they failed to tell me about the extra person charge even though I SPECIFICALLY asked about it on the phone. And they would not give us a second room key either. So 3 people had to use one key, which made it difficult to plan our own agendas.
This hotel is in a nice quiet neighborhood which was pleasant, however there are no conveniences nearby so you're at the mercy of their menu if you want to eat. Our first night we ordered meals that said each came with a salad....they brought out 2 meals, one salad. When we requested a second salad they simply said no...a second salad is not an option. Weird.
The absolute worst thing about our stay was our last night. I was in Kingston to cover an entertainment show and around 6:30pm I was to take a shower. Well....the water was turned off. I went outside to see a guy who had just ripped out all the sidewalks to replace old pipes with new pipes....only they didn't notify us. I flew to the front desk in a panic because I had a show to be at in an hour and couldn't bathe. My co-traveler was the headliner for the show and he couldn't bathe either!! I emphasized that WE NEED WATER and they just said it will soon come, which in Jamaica, means nothing. No apologies, no nothing. No offer to discount our stay, no sympathy at all.
Another really crappy thing was that a hotel employee was roasting breadfruit right beside our room and for about 2 hours our room became filled with thick smoke. Was there not a better place they could do this other than beside a guest room? Our entire wardrobe stank like a forest fire. And the insult on top of that injury is that I had to PAY the hotel to wash my clothing.
Basically the customer service here sucked royally. I've stayed in $20/night places with MUCH better service and no bugs! I was really shocked that in Kingston of all places, I'd find a hole like this.
Yes the rooms are decent but don't bring any food in. And NO the staff here are not friendly and it seems like they all just don't want to be there. When I told the front desk that I am a Jamaica travel writer and they're getting a horrible article she pretty much rolled her eyes and didn't have any words to offer.
PS: The first "NO" rule on their list in the lobby is NO wearing hair rollers in public. If I were a person who wore rollers I would have paraded around there all day in them, just to tick them off.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
6 Thank JamaicaMyWay
miami
Reviewed 27 May 2010

I went to the Prestige (previously known as the Sandhurst) for a week with my wife. We went to attend a wedding in Kingston and we were pleasantly surprised. I had reviewed the hotel on tripadvisor.com and so when we arrived at the airport i told the taxi that i wanted to go to the Sandhurst which to my delight he knew quite well. We arrived late at night and it was a very quick ride from the airport and we were greeted by a security guard at the entrance, i felt safe right away. When we got to the room i was totally shocked at how nice it was because the price was so low so i expected less. We stayed for a week and it was honestly very relaxing. My wife and i got the opportunity to take in the beautiful view of the Jamaican hills, i could not imagine staying at a different hotel on my next visit. the night of the wedding we got back home late and we were very hungry, the clerk at the front desk sold us some snacks and drinks at the reception and it saved our stomachs, i felt like a teenager again. the prestige will be my number one choice in the future.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Sicily, Italy
Reviewed 21 January 2010

I had the pleasure of bringing in the New Year at this hotel, and for my first visit to Jamaica, they made me feel very at home, comfortable and welcomed. The accommodations were very well upkept and I plan to make this my hotel of choice every time I visit Kingston. The cost was exceptional for the service and convenient location. Just around the corner on the main road is TGIF and Bob Marley's Museum and minutes from there either walking or taxi, you will find the King's House, Devon House, and Halfway tree.. Halfway tree is the junction of all junctions, where you can change taxis at the drop of a dime. I recommend this fine hotel with very hospitable staff to anyone traveling on a budget.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple