“Heather S First time traveller from Australia”
Review of Neita's Nest

Neita's Nest
Ranked #1 of 28 Kingston B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Heather S First time traveller from Australia”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed for 4 enjoyable days and 5 nights with Michelle at Neita’s Nest in Sept/Oct. As a first time traveler I was particularly nervous about going to Jamaica. Michelle was extremely patient and helpful in responding to the large number of emails I sent prior to my arrival. Although I was primarily visiting Jamaica to do family history research, Michelle ensured that I did not leave without at least sampling the local cuisine at breakfast and usually at dinner as well. Achieving this was no mean feat considering my dietary limitations so well done Michelle! She also proved to be very knowledgeable about local history and went out of her way to make sure that my research time was used profitably. Thank you so much for making my stay so memorable and rewarding.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear Heather,

Guests come to Jamaica and to Neita's Nest for a myriad of reasons. Your visit was as fulfiling for me as it clearly was for you. Just sharing your research goals, and findings, brought life to the history of my country. It also gave me paricular pride knowing that our archivists, historians and records here in Jamaica could so enrich your your project that your travels from so far could be rewarding.

It was indeed my pleasure to have been an integral part of your first travels from your homeland. And yes, your dietary limitations at first seemed daunting, but thanks too for the challenge of creating a menu plan that delighted.

Best wishes always,
Michelle.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stay in a fair amount of bed and breakfasts as I travel, the one thing i like about these places is the welcoming treatment from the people, and the feeling of, sort of visiting a distant family member, plus eating amazing local food (although, here you have the chance of eating more hotel like breakfasts, which we declined) Michelle, the home owner, could not have been nicer! i mean literally could not! it made the experience so welcoming and sweet, and mots of all amazing! it was just so welcoming and definitely worth the time spent there. the cute mocha the dog made it just adorable enough to want to go back just to stay there !!! privacy was also well respected and made it a great experience!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Sixto,

We work hard at striking that balance between maintaining our guests' need for privacy while sharing an authentic Jamaican home experience. We even put a Jamaican twist on international fare some of the time to bridge the transition for our guests between their home and ours.

It seems that we struck the right chord for you most of the time, and are truly happy that you took the time to share these notes with us. Coming from a seasoned B&B traveler, this is special.

Grand Cayman
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Surely, it was so much like coming home when Maria and I entered the gates at Neita's Nest. This time ,we brought friends with us, so they could experience what we have on other previous visits. And without soliciting any comments from them, their reactions after we checked out, were much like ours when we first spent time at this lovely Oasis nestled in the cool mountains above Kingston. "We have to come back and spend a longer time" was one such comment, and "my batteries felt recharged from inhaling the cool morning air and hearing the whistling toads in the distance".
We noticed a few upgrades since our last visit, and Michelle is to be congratulated for the improvements to her property.
Naturally, we will continue to recommend Neita's Nest to our friends and relatives.
Maria and Doyle Dally

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank doyle46
MichelleNeita, Owner at Neita's Nest, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Your review puts a knowing smile on my face because these are my sentiments exactly, Doyle and Maria. Your visitis have that family feel, and it is so easy for us to just pick up from where we left off. We enjoy your visits and always look forwad to the next occasion.

Thanks too for bringing your friends to share your homey retreat. Let them know that they are welcome anytime, with or without you.

Till then, cool mountain air and whistling toads await.
Reviewed 7 September 2013

From my journey up the hills to Neita's Nest, I knew I had made a good choice to end my Jamaican vacation. The view overlooking Kingston was awesome but it did not surpass what I would encounter to start my stay at Neita's Nest.
On arrival, I was met by Michelle Neita and her lovely little friendly dog accessorised with a pretty bow over each ear.
Once shown my room, I met Charmaine, the housekeeper and cook and was taken back to the porch where I was seated for my pre-arranged meal.
I could not sit still. The view was breathtaking, fresh and still. It was like I had moved to paradise. I was in more awe and speechless over the unspoilt nature and majestic beauty of the mountains that presented before me.
With the table set, I was then served a tasty, portion controlled meal prepared by Charmaine. Michelle joined me and she was expecting another guest later. Just as professional as she was in emails when I booked my stay, I found her to be helpful to any needs that I had.
My room was adequate for me with a ceiling fan and no air conditioning. I enjoyed the evening cool air from the mountains and the extra warmth from the bed linen when required. While not modern and dimly lit, the room was clean, had extra lamps for lighting and provided good space for me to use the desk and closet with shelves. The bathroom for my use only was directly across the hallway.
Michelle orientated me to the procedure if security was needed and provided a list for emergency contacts. A decanter of water was put in my room each night and there was also a basket of assorted snacks if I desired them. She also emailed me contacts for tours and the spa packages at my request.
Everyday, Michelle was gracious and ensured that my stay was good. She addressed any little service issues and kept me updated on a regular basis.
The natural habitat was a nature lover's heaven! I lost count of the variety of butterflies I saw and identified flora as seen home. Where I thought was smoke fires in the mountains were explained to be mist/steam. Watching just that was therapeutic and calming.
While I hardly saw birds, I could hear them early mornings with their sounds that were most unusual to me. Nights I quickly adjusted to the dog packs which barked every night for a short period along the busy highway below the cliff near Neita's Nest. I looked over the cliff one day and was so surprised how far away the roadway was - the vehicles looked like toys. Occassionally during the night and mornings, someone drove through at top speeds or with blaring music. None of which disturbed my stay or would prevent me from returning.
My spa treatment was arranged and was professionally done in the treehouse. Talk about forget your troubles. Every kink and crook was taken care off!!!
It would be so remiss of me to not speak of the culinary delights prepared by Charmaine on a daily basis. While I did partake of every meal, I enjoyed the salads and her dressings made from scratch, the roast chicken, jerk fish, callaloo omlette, pumpkin ginger soup and more. She shared details of what she cooked and used herbs and items that grew on the property. Every meal included juices or drinks that she concocted such as sour sop, mixed fruit, pineapple juice, ginger drink. Chairmaine gets my VIP vote as an ambassador for Jamaica. Through her, I learned of cooking methods and tasted new items like coco and dashene. Her ackee and saltfish was excellent.
Neita's Nest was exactly what I needed. Transportation easily came there and there was no problem when I went out. Michelle provided her contact number if she needed to alert security to escort to the top. I also felt secure seeing the Response Team vehicle make regular drives to the premises.
Michelle and Charmaine have a wonderful getaway - I applaud them both for the hospitality, classy service, and welcoming and warm ambience that they have created. Looking for a homey vacation, a place to detox from the hustle and bustle - book Neita's Nest now, you will be rejuvenated, in awe and be refreshed!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Linda T
neitasnest, Owner at Neita's Nest, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
You were totally immersed in every moment of your stay with us, Linda! Your recollection of the smallest detail speaks to your sensibility and to your sensitivity, traits which can be depended on for accurate descriptions of your experience, or silence where it is better to say nothing at all.

Unsolicited, you chose to share your experience; you have done so at length, and from the heart. We cannot thank you enough for taking the time to so thoughtfully prepare your review, and so soon after your stay.

Best regards,
Hilversum, The Netherlands
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed with our two young children (10 and 5 years), for over 2 weeks in Jamaica, travelling around the island. Our stay at Neita's Nest Bed & Breakfast for two nights was wonderful. The house has a great view over the hills of Stony Hill and Kingston below. Michelle’s greeted us with a warm welcome every evening as we returned from our travels during the day. We had interesting discussions and loved the typical Jamaican food we got served in the morning for breakfast and in the evening for dinner prepared by her cook Germaine. The rooms are nicely decorated with art and equipped with fans to keep cool. As the house is in Stony Hill which is well elevated above Kingston, there is no direct need for air-conditioning. Upon arrival at the B&B our children had ear infections. Michelle was very helpful in directing us to the children’s clinic on Old Hope Road and arranging for us to be helped there with priority.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Shoukje,

I must first give all the credit to our paediatricians at "Kidz Klinik", and to their front of office team. Just a phone call to say that you were coming with children with ear infections, and they knew it was priority. That you were able to get on with enjoying your vacation in short order, was a BIG PLUS.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. Thank you for your expressions of appreciation for all that we offer. We too enjoyed your visit and your delightful company.

Best regards,
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I really enjoyed my stay . The cool temperatures in the hills was rejuvenating . Miss Neita not only picked me up at the airport in the wee hours of the morning but also gave me a tour of downtown Kingston . The food was so delicious too. Mostly I was glad to be away from the noise and bustle of the city . I would definitely stay here again and would recommend this place to anyone looking to relax while having easy access to Kingston .

Ken from Japan

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Jamanese
neitasnest, Owner at Neita's Nest, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Yes, Jamanese, Kingston temperatures offer such diversity; even in the summer, Neita's Nest can be pretty cool!

And you are right, we are tucked away from the hustle and bustle, and that's why we can confidently say that we are "far from the madding crowd", even though our nearest commercial centre is only 5 minutes away.

These are the simple pleasures with which our location is blessed., so we put a little effort in the meals and hospitality to be able to say that at least we had a hand in something (smiles)

So happy you enjoyed our handiwork. We were certainly glad to share home with you.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This is a great place to stay - wonderful food, great rooms, very welcoming. Beautiful view from the veranda. It was perfect to prepare for and recover from work. I don't know other places in Kingston that are of similar quality.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear Manfred,

Most of our guests are vacationing, but every now and then someone like you comes along with a work agenda, and it is very warming to know that we do meet the needs of the business traveler. Then again, I should not be surprised; this is what my home has always been for me...the relaxing place I want to come home to.

So happy that we fit the bill for you, and I hope that the effort in your work is bearing fruit.

Michelle.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingston
The Spanish Court Hotel
#8 of 25 in Kingston
RafJam's Bed & Breakfast
RafJam's Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 1 in Irish Town

Been to Neita's Nest? Share your experiences!