“Worth a detour, great for a free & easy Jamaican vacation” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Neita's Nest
Ranked #1 of 25 Kingston B&B and Inns
Harrison, New Jersey
“Worth a detour, great for a free & easy Jamaican vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Occasionally you chance upon a gem hidden in obscurity, well this Neita's Nest B&B is one of them. I normally don't book my accommodation in advance, because my travel schedule is truly free and easy, so at times I have the fortune of staying at unique places which I just so happened glanced through online at my convenience, be they on iPhone apps or other booking websites. The service is very personal and attentive, and it's very much like one of those lovely country B&Bs in the UK. Their breakfast is something I look forward to with anticipation, as each day you are presented with something different and always local on appetite-arousing blue glassware in the patio with idyllic sceneries of the hills that surround you, along with a range of beverages and Jamaican teas. But it's more than just a B&B with a view, as the main hall has a small library well stocked with pertinent information on the wonders that are in the land of Bob Marley, and a mini art gallery with a number of local pieces and cultural objects from around the world, along with an outdoor "spa" in the treehouse behind, albeit by appointment only.

Jamaica is a country with high tropical temperatures, even up here at the foothills of the imposing Blue Mountains at more than 1135 feet, it's still rather uncomfortably warm, unless you have the fortune of getting early morning rain before breakfast, so the lack of AC is definitely a minus, especially out on the terrace where you can have your meals as there aren't any fans, but I guess if you are all the way up in the middle of Mother Nature, you have got to dwell au naturale! But the rooms have ceiling fans, so it's actually quite cooling at night, just be sure to open the windows for ventilation. Also as I was totally new to the area, it took me quite a while to get up, with its wacky streets that are mostly devoid of road signs and reckless motorists, however it was worth the effort, for the views and attentive service, anyways it is not so far from downtown Kingston, probably take you from anywhere between 20 to 40 minutes depending on traffic, furthermore the innkeeper herself would guide you up by phone if you really can't find it. Having the private bathroom across the corridor isn't much a problem for me, a little inconvenience certainly, but it's better than sharing the bathroom with others as in guesthouses or hostels. But like a couple of the less than satisfactory reviews, while the dog Mocha wasn't a nuisance, actually she was rather cute, probably attention-seeking, but I'm allergic to its fur, so it would be best if the dog was kept apart from the guests. Finally I love that they do have an in-house same-day laundry service, where $10 could do an entire load of laundry, ironed and folded too, however the setback is if you like to have your linens changed daily, you will get charged an additional laundry fee for every other day.

Admittedly it's a little pricey relatively, especially in a place with many non-hostel hotels going for less than half, but it's worth every penny, it's the whole experience you are paying for. All in all, the good outweighs its faults, and it was a great relaxing stay during my 4 nights here, so I highly recommend it to anyone who appreciates attention to detail, but be sure to book in advance, as she only has 4 guest rooms in this charming bed & breakfast nested up on Stony Hill.

• Stayed April 2014
neitasnest, Owner at Neita's Nest, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Jeremy O,

Having "found" your gem of a B&B in Kingston, please know that it was in fact our good fortune to have met you. Your appreciation of our service and for the meals we prepare, the fact that our varied menu and the settings we create meant so much to you, your admiration of the view we feel so blessed to have and the ambience we so happily share, and just the knowing that you felt right at home enjoying our open library shelves; all these come together and touch us in a special way to know that it was in the little things that you found such pleasure here at Neita's Nest.

We are delighted too that you can distinguish our service standards. We run a tight ship to be able to remain competitive while giving value-added service. So, when we are asked for 2 sets of bath linens daily for single occupancy we certainly can meet that request, but it of necessity must comes with a price tag.

Your timing and arrival, Jeremy O, confirm what travel research results have been saying, and we are delighted that we have been able to deliver for you, one of our 'hi-tech' guests. Our website is user-friendly on your latest technologies, and we have our website developer to thank for that. While accustomed to guests booking in advance, allowing us to send directions prior to arrival, yes, we were able to respond to your request for directions when you were already on your way here.

Ours is a homestay, a bed and breakfast service which delivers privacy in a secure environment, For this reason, we have deliberately shied away from publicising our exact location. Knowing however, that the absence of clear online directions can naturally cause some anxiety, we have made a change in this regard. You will be pleased to know that we have had the GPS coordinates of our location corrected on the online travel agencies (OTAs). In the months to come we will be monitoring to determine whether this is in the best interest of all concerned.

We thank you for your detailed feedback and review' and look forward to receiving you here again.
Michelle.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed two nights at Neita's Nest on my recent visit home to Jamaica. I typically stay with my family on the north coast when I return home but wanted to visit friends in Kingston on this trip and had little inclination or the budget to stay at a hotel. Neita's Nest proved to be the perfect choice. The location is breath-taking and I spent quite a few hours just enjoying the scenery. The hills and cool breeze are reasons enough to stay at this B&B. It is close enough to the University and City for quick trips yet far enough from the hustle and noise. The home is lovely and the accommodations were well-kept, clean and offered privacy. The meals were divine and if I could, I would have packed the cook in my suitcase and taken her home with me.

Perhaps, the value-added of this B&B is the owner Michelle. I found her to be quite hospitable, accommodating and engaging. I thoroughly enjoyed her company and this was really the cherry on top. My next trip to Jamaica already includes a stay at Neita's Nest.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
neitasnest, Owner at Neita's Nest, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Tka, we too enjoyed your visit.

There is a little secret that I will now share here. There is value-added in opening my home to visitors in these my pre-reirement years, and it is this: when I have the pleasure of hosting engaging guests like you are, I too feel like a guest, enjoying the conversaton and camaraderie.

And when I am busy 'back-office', it is warming to hear you interacting with our other in-house guests, exchanging experiences, making new friendships.

As for our cook, however; it is a package deal - both of us, and there is a waiting list.

Thank you for being such a gracious guest, Tka, and for your kind words about all your experiences here.

See you soonest.
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I've been at Neita's Nest, which is managed by Michelle (also owner), only for one night. I was with more two friends who I met in a trip to Blue Mountain's top. Despite of that Michelle has made our stay really confortable and pleasant. That was which we needed after a hard hiking. Everything is so clean, well organized and with a lovely atmosphere. Unfortunately we couldn't have the massage service. I recommend this place for travellers and families, no doubt. You will not regret.
Thank you Michelle for your hospitality, you were really kindful since we met up. The breakfast in the balcony was hmmmm...so good. Ya, mon! I wish you success.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
neitasnest, Owner at Neita's Nest, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for writing your review of your one-night stay with us; and such a lovely review, Fellipe!

You took the time to single out the the primary qualities that meant so much to you, "comfort, beauty, relaxation". Congratulatins on making it to the Blue Mountain Peak - all 7402 feet (2256 meters) of it! Yes, you certainly needed that massage after that accomplishment. So sorry we could not fit in the massage during your short stay. That would have been the special touch. Next time!

Your endorsement of our meal and service is very much appreciated.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I wish there was a higher rating than five stars because Neita's Nest would deserve it. A wonderful location in the hills above Kingston; a warm, friendly place with meals, breakfast and dinner, befitting a Michelin-starred restaurant. I loved my stay there and will be back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank RichardMooreLondon
neitasnest, Owner at Neita's Nest, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
RichardMoore, only someone with a gift for words could have summed up 14 days in four succinct lines, and so positively. Our sincere thanks for this heartfelt review.

It was certainly our pleasure to have hosted such a gracious guests as you have been, and we thank you for your immediate endorsement by refering other guests to us during that time.

But to be ranked among Michelin-starred restaurants by one so traveled and so accustomed to fine dining as you, is an even greater pleasure, a gift which will certainly keep us on our p's and q's with every guest who stays. Not one star would we want to lose till you return.

Au revoir, Richard.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

We only got to spend one night in Kingston at Neita's Nest but wish we could've stayed longer! Accommodations were clean, lovely home, beautiful view! Sitting on the veranda was great. So was talking with our lovely hostess. I can't wait to go back!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Liz D
neitasnest, Owner at Neita's Nest, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
You had me checking my calendar, Liz D. I was finding it hard to believe that it was only one day, what with our lovely conversations during which we talked about your experiences while touring our city.

Then I remembered!.

Yours was a well-planned, though brief visit to our city. You arrived early in the morning and maxed out before checking in. By the next day your itinerary was already planned for everything else you wanted to fill in before departing. Kudos to you, my seasoned travelers.

Yes, we had some good exchanges about so much more, and there is even more to see, do and share when you return. Glad you liked it enough...

Palm Bay, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Spent some time over the Christmas holidays at Neita's Nest ,I can truly say it's one of my most memorable trip to Jamaica travelling back there since 1975.,the service is awesome ,hospitable and homely. IF you are marveled and fascinated by nature you will love Neita's Nest , my favorite spot is the verandah, there is something about the verandah once you sit there and gazed ahead you can't help but have a true sense and appreciation of mother nature.
It's a view that transcends you ,and don't be surprise if the birds ant the cool Jamaican breeze sends you off to sleep. I loved it " CHECK IT OUT"

Bentley Noteman
Palm Bay Florida

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank bentley n
neitasnest, Owner at Neita's Nest, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Yes, Bentley, the verandah at Neita's Nest is everyone's favourite spot. Mine too! So, even though there is the option for indoor dining with its wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling windows that let in all the views, there is something about the verandah! Whether it is in the warmth of the morning sunshine, the chilly Christmas breeze at dinnertime, or when April brings afternoon showers, that's where sports writers choose to write, artists paint, bird watchers peer and the rest of us, we just chill.

We are just so happy that you felt right at home. Do come again, Bentley.

Montego Bay, Jamaica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed at Neita's Nest for two nights in February. It was delightful...Neita was a lovely host, the breakfast was sublime, with a fabulous view to boot! Who could ask for anything more! Would most definitely highly recommend this lovely retreat to anybody staying in Kingston!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hello BenHH33,

It was a pleasure having you stay with us in February. We do concur, the view is of tremendous beauty, so with that we try to keep the meals and the hosting on par.

Whenever you are again in Kingston, know that this is your home-away-from-home.

Mcihelle.