Moon Hill
Strawberry Hill(Kingston)
US$372
All reviewslovely propertypool areaolivervillahostmountainsguesthousebusiness
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I'm a return guest at Moon Hill having stayed there in Feb. 2012 and then again this past March. My first visit was unexpectedly cut short by a night and Oliver was kind enough to honor that night upon my return visit. As other reviewers have mentioned, the location and surroundings are beautiful with lots of greenery and great views of Kingston as it slopes down toward the harbour. The house and pool are literally at the top of this area of hills (Barbican Heights) surrounded by well-kept gardens, a large lawn and mango trees. I stayed in the pool house both visits which lent the feeling of exclusivity for only a little more money. During both visits there were only 1 or 2 other guests currently there so even when in the main house (whose living area and "entertainment" room were open to use, and large) you still felt like you had the whole place to yourself. There's an extensive menu of good food available at meal time and a fairly well-stocked bar and fridge of beer (all reasonably priced) if you're feeling thirsty. If you don't have a car when visiting, calling for a taxi is a breeze. A ride to to Half Way Tree or Downtown Kingston will run you somewhere between $6 -$10 USD.

Oliver (Proprieter/Manager and author of Moon Handbooks Jamaica Travel Guide) is incredibly friendly and professional. He was able to recommend various activities around Kingston including where to eat, see live music or go shopping. Oliver knows Jamaica intimately and can point you toward things you might otherwise miss when only in Kingston for a short stay.

Related to an older post about the dogs being a nuisance, we experienced no problems or disturbances during either stay. It was a comfort knowing that the dogs were there for added security in what already felt like a very safe location.

I'm probably missing other highlights (the delicious complimentary breakfast was large with lots of fresh fruit, fresh squeezed OJ and Blue Mountain coffee) but suffice it to say Moon Hill is an incredible value and balances the hustle-and-bustle of Kingston with serenity of a private country retreat. I'll return when next able to visit Kingston again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank omars921
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We actually stayed here for 2 nights in Oct 2011. Oliver kindly met us just outside Kingston airport and we followed him up to the house. Pool house was perfect for the 4 of us (2 adults , 2 kids aged 4 1/2yrs and 2yrs) and we enjoyed taking an early morning swim and then a lovely Jamaican breakfast outside (kids loved the choc chip pancakes!)
Oliver booked us a trip to see a coffee plantation in Blue Mountains - probably due to my nervous UK driving - but it took an age to get there!
Overall a very enjoyable stay, this is a nice spot to relax and we will definitely visit again

Room Tip: If you are travelling with small children then the pool house may be the best option
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 March 2013

In February 2013 I thoroughly enjoyed my week long stay at Moon Hill. I stayed in the master suite which includes a lovely terrace (with a screened porch) overlooking the city, with magnificent views of the sea and surrounding mountains, particularly at sunset. The pedestal bed, the spacious bathroom, and the crisp white linens and towels, afford the type of comfort and rest only found at the most exclusive resorts. But what I think sets Moon Hill apart from other luxury places in Jamaica is their outstanding breakfasts, abundant and varied, prepared from strictly fresh ingredients, with the outmost care and presentation: homemade fresh juices, fruit plate, local specialties (ital breakfast), or traditional (waffles with maple syrup). The choice is yours. Oliver, the host, is most knowledgeable about the country and able to advise you on, and even arrange, coffee tours, entertainment venues, or trips to other parts of the island. It was a memorable stay worth repeating!

Room Tip: Master suite for luxurious comfort. Pool house for privacy and independence.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Oliver was really supportive. I booked a room for my fiance, in Jamaica while I am here in Miami. I started my conversation with Oliver via airbnb site. I went to book and because the space was quite and he had a few openings he upgraded my fiance to a nicer room for a better price than what was listen. Plus Oliver had a menu and taxi service crew available for my fiance when he needed it. This is top notch service. My fiance took me for a tour of the home via skype chat and it looked so cozy and comfortable, and quiet just above the chaos of Kingston. He said the room was very clean and anything he needed Oliver was there. I look forward to my next trip to Kingston we will be staying there again! This is a must experience!

Room Tip: My fiance stayed in the Blue Room, super nice and private.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We (sister, niece and I) finished some hiking in Blue Mountain and wanted to visit some family in the Kingston area before heading off to Treasure Beach. Oliver was helpful from the get-go, even before we arrived, reminding us of knowing an address to use for Jamaica immigration forms.

Our stay was 1st rate - Oliver was friendly, well informed and very helpful, and the food prepared by Omar was super tasty - as was the welcome welcoming drink. The location was perfect for us - within easy driving of many of our family. The view at night was splendid.I know we will be back soon and have already recommended it to many of our friends.

Kudos to a small jewel in Barbican Heights.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family