Reggae Hostel
US$119
Orbitz.com
Strawberry Hill(Kingston)
US$374
All reviewshalf wayhalfway treebus stationquiet and safe areameet other backpackersamazing vibewalking distanceown bathroomocho riosfelt safehome away from homebob marley museumblue mountainsdubsupermarketnikkijamaica
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed here back in the summer of 2012 and it was a wonderful surprise. The hostel is clean and spacious and perfect for those who want to venture off the beaten path in Jamaica and get away from the tourist traps. The staff are friendly, Scotty is especially nice and helpful. Bar is well stocked and drinks were not weak like other bars in Jamaica. Breakfast was basic and the coffee ran out before I could grab a cup. A bit annoying as there is nowhere nearby to grab something so I went hungry until I ventured out to half way tree. Half way tree is a 10 minute walk from the hostel and here you can find everything you need. I loved halfway tree, such a wonderful atmosphere and great people.

There was no pool when I was there which was a shame because I would have spent much longer on the premises if there had been. I used to get bored so I would be out and about constantly.

The only real con I could give was that I was placed in a room with a much older man and being a young female,I found this very uncomfortable. I think more effort should be made to ensure same sex quarters are provided. It was fine, and I did feel safe but like I said, quite uncomfortable.

I am hoping to return to reggae hostel this summer for a very short stay :)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Golden_Simma1
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights on two separate occasions & I've to say this is one of my best hostel experiences. It is a real hostel designed for backpackers & laid back people with a nice & relaxing outdoor area. The hostel is located on a side street with no sign on the door & not all taxi drivers know it, so you have to ask them to go to Burlington ave & then continue till you find a big green gate.
The hostel itself is well maintained, clean & with amazing atmosphere & people. I stayed in a private room with a private bath & it was clean, organized & of good size. The bathroom also was clean & everything worked well. The best thing about this hostel is its outdoor area which was very quiet & relaxing and you'll meet great fellow backpackers there. The staff are very helpful & always provide suggestions & advice & really understands the needs & the true culture of backpacking. The kitchen is a bit small but it has everything you need to prepare your food.
All in all, this hostel was one of the highlights of my trip to Jamaica & I would definitely recommend it to any fellow backpacker.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mobz11
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed here twice, when we arrived and the night before our departure.
The hostel has everything you need; a bar, kitchen, free breakfast, taxi's nextdoor, internet, etc.

Scotty pours a good drink, none of this european measures crap that i'm used to.

Staff were very friendly and helped thoroughly with directions, calling a taxi and general information.

The area is safe too, which i know alot of people worry about in kingston. We took public transport around kingston and walked freely.

Reggae hostel can't be beaten in kingston, i'm sure of it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paris L
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Excellent hostel that truly understands the backpacker ethic!! All the staff is extremely helpful, knowledgeable about the area and can advise on plans to explore the rest of the island. Safe walking in daytime, close to grocery and a few restaurants. Walking distance to Halfway Tree bus terminal. Owner, "Scotty" occasionally organizes outings to beaches and dub events. New second hostel in Ocho Rios bound to be a great success. Excellent place to meet other travelers! Bar in the back is a great social hub! A must stay in Kingston!

Room Tip: The cheapest dorm has only a fan - sleep close to it or pay a few extra dollars for smaller dorm with AC.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Miel H
Reviewed 4 November 2013

When i stay in kingston i never stayed in a hostel. i went to guest house . This is first time i would do a hostel in Kingston and second in Jamaica overall. the place was great. great house and rooms despite being small were ok clean and bed was comfortable.the breakfast was just tea and bread with condensed milk. but ok. U can get around Kingston by foot, and bus. Scotty was cool. most of staff ok. Free use of computer , and phone calls local. They did have a blow up pool to sit in also when iw as there in spring. people i saw in tents outside in a large yard and a bar area to chiil out. they had a cat. great cat. ziggy and was great to not hear a woman yaking at u as i did in hotel i stayed in and also that baggage always a issue in guest house in Kingston. usualy accomodating people to have sex with women. A reasonable price and right near the Stone love headquaters...new.. location...

Room Tip: i didnot stay in a private room. they have one in back near bathroom.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo