“Relaxing vacation, felt like home, but better!”
Review of Reggae Hostel

Reggae Hostel
Reggae Hostel
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Relaxing vacation, felt like home, but better!”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

This was my first time staying in a hostel and my second time travelling alone. I must say this hostel surpassed my expectations BY FAR! It took a while to find the place in the dark, and there was a bit of mix up with my reservation (not the fault of the hostel) but I was quickly accomodated. I got settled in quickly and Zana showed me around and told me where everything was. The hostel was very homely and comfortable and I immediately felt like I was at home. That night I was a bit cold and the sheet I had wasn't quite enough to keep me warm so I just threw on a sweater. The next morning there was coffee, toast and cereal which was enough to hold me down for a few hours. Half way tree is a very close distance to walk and it was very safe (especially when walking with others). It is not recommended to walk alone at night and don't carry too much money on you. Many restaurants nearby and cabs were always available. The washrooms, kitchen, and common area were very clean. I met a lot of interesting and cool people on my trip. Scotty, Zana, and Ramone made my stay very enjoyable and comfortable and there was a sense of belonging. I did not want to leave!! Lots to do, and if you want to do nothing, (which was what I did) it was very comfortable sit around idle and listen to music. Having WIFI was a major bonus as I was able to keep in touch with my family and friends back home who were worrying about me! All in all, I had an amazing time, met some wonderful people, and definitely plan on going back soon! Thank you Reggae Hostel!

Room Tip: I stayed in 3 different rooms and they were all fine. I particularly liked the private garden view r...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Parm S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Reviewed 24 February 2014

excellent place to stay in Kingston, great staff making you feel like being part of the family, great place to meet new friends... services, cleaniness etc are on standard hostel level, would come again

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Shenkx
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My brother and I stayed at the Reggae Hostel in Kingston and at the newly opened Ocho Rios location. We had an incredible time. The facilities are very clean, and you have access to wifi, a computer, a bar, kitchen, free coffee, etc. Most importantly, you really get warm 'family" experience. The hostel promotes a friendly and open environment. Scotty, the hostel owner, and the entire staff are always accessible, super helpful and incredibly kind— you always feel well taken care of. A great place to find the insider scoop on traveling through Jamaica and an honest take on what to do/what not to do on your travels. Fully recommended —ANGIE

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank angiepark
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed here back in the summer of 2012 and it was a wonderful surprise. The hostel is clean and spacious and perfect for those who want to venture off the beaten path in Jamaica and get away from the tourist traps. The staff are friendly, Scotty is especially nice and helpful. Bar is well stocked and drinks were not weak like other bars in Jamaica. Breakfast was basic and the coffee ran out before I could grab a cup. A bit annoying as there is nowhere nearby to grab something so I went hungry until I ventured out to half way tree. Half way tree is a 10 minute walk from the hostel and here you can find everything you need. I loved halfway tree, such a wonderful atmosphere and great people.

There was no pool when I was there which was a shame because I would have spent much longer on the premises if there had been. I used to get bored so I would be out and about constantly.

The only real con I could give was that I was placed in a room with a much older man and being a young female,I found this very uncomfortable. I think more effort should be made to ensure same sex quarters are provided. It was fine, and I did feel safe but like I said, quite uncomfortable.

I am hoping to return to reggae hostel this summer for a very short stay :)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Golden_Simma1
Egypt
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights on two separate occasions & I've to say this is one of my best hostel experiences. It is a real hostel designed for backpackers & laid back people with a nice & relaxing outdoor area. The hostel is located on a side street with no sign on the door & not all taxi drivers know it, so you have to ask them to go to Burlington ave & then continue till you find a big green gate.
The hostel itself is well maintained, clean & with amazing atmosphere & people. I stayed in a private room with a private bath & it was clean, organized & of good size. The bathroom also was clean & everything worked well. The best thing about this hostel is its outdoor area which was very quiet & relaxing and you'll meet great fellow backpackers there. The staff are very helpful & always provide suggestions & advice & really understands the needs & the true culture of backpacking. The kitchen is a bit small but it has everything you need to prepare your food.
All in all, this hostel was one of the highlights of my trip to Jamaica & I would definitely recommend it to any fellow backpacker.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mobz11
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed here twice, when we arrived and the night before our departure.
The hostel has everything you need; a bar, kitchen, free breakfast, taxi's nextdoor, internet, etc.

Scotty pours a good drink, none of this european measures crap that i'm used to.

Staff were very friendly and helped thoroughly with directions, calling a taxi and general information.

The area is safe too, which i know alot of people worry about in kingston. We took public transport around kingston and walked freely.

Reggae hostel can't be beaten in kingston, i'm sure of it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paris L
Asunción, Central, Paraguay
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Excellent hostel that truly understands the backpacker ethic!! All the staff is extremely helpful, knowledgeable about the area and can advise on plans to explore the rest of the island. Safe walking in daytime, close to grocery and a few restaurants. Walking distance to Halfway Tree bus terminal. Owner, "Scotty" occasionally organizes outings to beaches and dub events. New second hostel in Ocho Rios bound to be a great success. Excellent place to meet other travelers! Bar in the back is a great social hub! A must stay in Kingston!

Room Tip: The cheapest dorm has only a fan - sleep close to it or pay a few extra dollars for smaller dorm wit...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo