Christar Villas
US$202
Travelocity
Strawberry Hill(Kingston)
US$374
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Very friendly staff and a great locatin however there is a need for improvement in the hotel facilities.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Islandqueen4u
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I was pleased from I entered. The colours were tropical in nature; seems the property is constantly maintained, recently refurbished and repainted. The person at the Front Desk was warm, pleasant and extremely helpful. The room had a full kitchenette, over 100 channels on cable and we even had free Internet access. We were happy to enjoy some good Jamaican food and we had a wide enough selection including Sunday Rice and Peas (real Jamaican style). The lady at the restaurant told me that I could order crab even though it was not on the menu and I had a feast; not crab cakes that I get in Baltimore but real crab with the good Indian curry! To add to this, surprisingly there was an outside hot tub which we sure took advantage of after a long day. We hear much to do about Kingston but we felt very safe there. Christar, I would recommend you anytime. Maintain the service. Lisa.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank LisaMay_11
Reviewed 29 July 2010

This place was recommended to us by our aunt who lives in Jamaica. We are Jamaicans living abroad for over 15 years and wanted something affordable for our first family vacation. After the room was booked I started checking reviews and became nervous, especially after reading about the pool. I am a POOL girl so reading that one of my favorite ammenities may be crappy did not make me happy. I even had one of my friends living in Jamaica go by and check out the hotel and she gave it an OK. Once we checked in we realized we paid too much. The staff was friendly, the location is great; however we were not all that impressed with the rooms (which are adequately air conditioned). For some reason, one of my brothers and his girlfriend kept getting the better rooms of the two places we stayed. We got a suite facing the pool which turned out to be the BEST thing about this place after all. The entire suite needs to be painted, once that is done it will look much better! We also arrived when the area was experiencing a water shortage so there were limitations on when we could shower, etc. At one point the water was shut off completely for hours. The breakfast vouchers were also limited so we ended up spending EXTRA EXTRA money for food on the morning of check out. We did not spend much time in the rooms but they did serve their purpose which was for us to get a good night's sleep. The Soveriegn Mall, Bob Marley Museum, Devon House, TGIF are just some of the nearby attractions which make the place a little appealing. If you are just looking for a place to lay your head for a night or two, great, but I wouldn't recommend more than that.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank Shygirl30
Reviewed 13 September 2007

if you want to stay in rooms that are dirty and be told that this can be fixed by bringing in the painter (who never materialised), if you want to stay in a place where they forget your towels and then tell you that they have to 'investigate', rather than sending immediately a set, and if you want to stay in a hotel where the breakfast menu is limited, and the one actual available dish is 'scrambled/boiled egg' and where any more than the one inclusive cup of coffee is delived with great drama that this costs extra (10 per cent service charge too), then this is the place for you. If you want to experience a hotel service worth its name and appropriate to cost, then go somewhere else.

What can we say that is positive about this hotel? The wireless internet is good value, reception staff are friendly and the in-room kitchen facilities are adequate, if basic.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Manfred72
Reviewed 7 February 2007

I selected Christar Villas as home base for my first visit to Kingston. In fact, it was my first visit to Jamaica. Upon arrival at the hotel, the surrounding paved/parking area, enclosing security wall, minimal greenery and a lack of landscaping made it visually uninteresting. It was unclear if the two non-uniformed men "hanging around" near the entrance were support staff or passers-by who came on the property to relax. The woman at the front desk was helpful and permitted me to view a one bedroom and efficiency unit before selecting a room. I chose the efficiency as it afforded me more open space, a larger refrigerator and stove than the one bedroom. The room, kitchenette, bathroom, bed and furniture were neat and clean. Air conditioning was quiet and efficient. In general, I was comfortable and satisfied with the room. Available network and premium channels on the cable TV kept me up to date with the latest news and sports from the US. Concerns about security lessened after looking around the property. The second floor open air restaurant offered a nice panoramic view of the surrounding area and mountains. Staff was courteous. I was generally away from the property during my 5 day visit. Returning each night, I was greeted by the sounds of reggae and soul music emanating from the bar/lounge area behind the restaurant. It wasn't overbearing and song selection satisfied my tastes. Sitting by the pool was relaxing. Christar Villas was not typical of my normal hotel selection as it was not a beach front resort, but I found it to be a comfortable place in the city to rest my head, have a meal, listen to evening music, and enjoy the company of a friend that I came to visit. I would consider it for future visits.

Stayed: January 2007