Alhambra Inn
US$144
US$119
Strawberry Hill(Kingston)
US$372
All reviewsnational stadiumon displayeasy accessvisit kingstonpropertybrunchjamaicasecurity
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I stayed here based on the posted reviews and, as a result, I am really starting to doubt what I read on Trip Advisor.

This is an old, run down hotel in the residential part of Kingston not conveniently located to any museums, restaurants, cultural attractions, parks, etc.

The rooms are very dark and the furniture is at least 20 years old.

The wireless does not work in most of the rooms.

The breakfast buffet consists of day old bagels, some stale muffins, a single yoghurt, and bad coffee. Not one piece of fruit.

The restaurant serves the same fare you can get anywhere in Kingston but charges top dollar for very slow, forgetful service.

The pool is fine if you do not mind hearing bad rap music blaring all day from the workers shed.

Summary:

This property may be ok for backpackers but on the other hand is too expensive for budget travellers.
It is not at all conducive to doing business.
Its location precludes it from being convienient for overnight travellers or sightseers

If you like to pay a good amount of money to look at old tin cans, bottles, and signs that you can see at any small town museum or roadside attraction, this is your spot.

Regarding the photos, the furniture looks tolerable in the photos but squeaks and is old and worn. The bathtub has been patched many times, the toilet runs on, the walls are full of holes and marks, spiderwebs in all the corners, the fridge smelled-did not even bother to use it, mirrors were marked with fingerprints and grease stains- have not been cleaned in a long time, pretty much everything in the room is or has been broken.

On a positive note I will state that the front desk staff were pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: I looked at several rooms just to make sure I did not have the worst room, but they are all the same state of disrepair.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
10  Thank drknows
Reviewed 20 September 2012

You can spend hundreds of dollars on hotels and never get what Alhambra gives. It has a vibe, a tone, peaceful and tranquil. The food is the best local food you can have in Jamaica! I am a Jamaican, now living abroad, so take it from me. It is secure, courteous staff, lots of antique, nice litlle swimming pool etc. The important thing about this place is how it makes me feel when I am there. It does not feel like a hotel at all, it feels like home without the need to do any work at all. Finally, I will say this, when I visit Kingston, Jamaica, Alhambra Inn is my first choice even despite the more pricey well known hotel. You cannot buy the charm and the feel you get here. It is priceless!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Carl F
Reviewed 2 August 2012

First impression of the Alhambra Inn is that the property is run down. Although the property is antique it could do well with a little more organization , at the front where I attended a wedding , there were two broken down pillers and a watering garden hose rolled up, I would have thought that these would have been removed . Anyway the good outweighs the bad. They staff were very courteous and efficient. The food was excellent, that ackee quiche had me fooled I thought it was macaroni and cheese. The grounds is clean and the atmosphere is quiet.I would return there over and over just for the food and the quality of service.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank reginabelle
Reviewed 3 May 2012

The staff were very friendly and willing to cater to your needs. The property was filled with so many antiques and memorabilias it was like if I was passing through several decades in one trip. The atmosphere is quiet and cozy and the sleep quality is off the chain. If you want somewhere to rest, this is the place. My husband who had big plans to hit the night clubs and restaurants slept for a day and a half ! Though we were only entitled to continental breakfast we still enjoyed it (could not have asked for more). The dining area which is open felt as if you were having breakfast in a garden. The many paintings and memorabilias made good conversation starters. Ive been to many hotels and this has to be one of my top favourite place. The location of the hotel is also great as everwhere we needed to go was only about 10 minutes away.

Room Tip: If you take the room on the first floor you will get a small view of the National Area and you will have a small patio that you can sit on, however your sleep quality is not as good as those on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank keeeseee
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Its like a wonder and a dream , with their unique collections of antique and collectibles,The food was good especially the Sunday morning Jamaican brunch.

Room Tip: Ask for room number 17 very specious.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family