“Badly in need of repair and customer service training”

The Knutsford Court Hotel
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed 28 June 2014

ALL levels of staff at this hotel except the maid service are in need of urgent customer service training! I usually stay at a nearby hotel but it suffered fire damage and is still closed for repairs. I chose this hotel based on price offering and online reviews.

This was certainly an absolutely bad experience and I shall now allow it to repeat itself.

Here's the list of cons:

1) Condition of Plant (facilities) - poor! The wooden moldings look rotten or so badly worn that they appear to be rotten. There is no extractor fan in the bathroom. The non-smoking room smells like smoke / barbecue. The bathroom shower and sink water pressure is terrible and in the middle of a shower the water just stops. You wait and wait and then switch the water off and turn in back on and then it resumes until that cycle repeats itself.

2) Customer Service at the restaurant - poor! I went to the bar at the restaurant in the evening and ordered two virgin pina coladas and then I sat down. The waitress brought the coladas and never returned to inquire as to whether there was any interest to have anything else. I got up and approached the bartender who was at the bar to ask for the bill and to pay. He walks away to the corner and sits down on a drink box crate and is clearly / visibly on his Blackberry. The waitress passes by behind the bar and doesn't even look to the customer. I then proceeded to walk out of the restaurant and that is when the waitress hollered out, "you ready?" That's not the worst of it. I get the bill and attempted to pay. She told me the price and I gave her US$20 and before she handed me my change, she then entertained another lady about a glass or something like that. I firmly said to her at that point, "lady, please finish my transaction first." She did so and I took all of my change as I refused to tip the usual 20% I usually tip.

3) Self-serve Laundry - good but laundry disappeared! So I took my own laundry to wash at the ground floor and inserted the US$5 token to get the washer going. After the wash cycle completed I transferred the clothes to the dryer and inserted the other US$5 token and left the clothes to dry. I returned about 90 minutes later and my clothes had disappeared. I left the washroom and bounced into a maid and told her my problem and she said, "I'm sure they are in a safe place" and that she would be right back. I waited about 5 to 7 minutes and another lady passed by and asked if all was well. I explained no and told her my problem and she too disappeared to find out. She re-emerged and said, "they are looking for them but I will check the front desk". Anyways, after another 5 to 7 minutes of waiting, a lady appeared with them, folded, and in a transparent plastic bag.

This place is not worthy of a dollar the conditions the way they are and especially as a result of the poor customer service. I will not return to it. Beware.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank ditskn
There are newer reviews for The Knutsford Court Hotel

Reviewed 18 June 2014

A small travel agent group that I am a part of, toured this property and for the budget minded traveler, it is fabulous. e They have done a very, very nice remodel, the location is very convenient. The Chef prepared the most fabulous and authentic Jamaican breakfast for use....complete with an omelet station. These are some of the most hospitable people in all of Jamaica. The pricing for the hotel is very affordable and they are able to make it somewhat inclusive with meals. They do have a couple of restaurants and a nice pool area. If you chose to stay at this property, it promises to be kind to your budget and you will be safe, secure and very comfortable. I would absolutely trust the staff at this resort hands down. Would I spend my holiday time there as a Travel Professional.............ABSOLUTELY! Just do it!

Room Tip: We did not stay, but did tour the rooms and I will add a photo of the room and our lovely Chef.....h...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Deborah P
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Average hotel in the middle of Kingston. Basic but clean room. Nice pool and courtyard. Secure compound. Staff are friendly enough and will go to lengths for their customers. Come without high hopes...

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I was here for a few nights on business, and this place wasn't great. Adequate and sufficed but not great.

Room was fine, large, two double beds and everything worked. All was clean. Room was nice actually, sparsely decorated compared to a colleagues room a few doors along. Had a little kitchen, coffee maker etc.

The swimming pool and compound/gardens were fine for relaxing in and easy enough to get drinks served etc.

but the overall service lacked something. Couldn't get laundry done at weekend, couldn't charge bottle of water to my room at reception. Little things which made you feel you're staying in some self service lodge, rather than a hotel.

Breakfast was nothing special. Food from menu was fine.

I wouldn't be upset to stay here again, but would rather find somewhere nicer.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank J H
Reviewed 30 May 2014

When I found that I could not be in the Spanish Court for one night I was booked into the Knutsford Court. I looked it up on the internet and was excited at the prospect of the oasis like ambience and the newly redecorated rooms. I was disappointed with the reality when I arrived and made my way to my room past many doors in need of some upgrade or even just refinishing and painting.
The room was spacious and newly painted but the carpet was old and tired and where it was cut at the doors it was unfinished showing the threads as it was cut too short. The television was a very new flat screen but unfortunately was no better than a radio as I was able to get audio only on every channel. The dinning room / bar staff were pleasant and helpful and the food fair although the breakfast did give the feel of high volume activity at a three star hotel.
My morning started off badly as whilst the bathroom tiling and fixtures were fresh and appeared relatively new the upgrade had not extended to hot water and the shower could not even muster lukewarm water.
Wifi is provided and the staff did even provide a second password for an additional device. It was a shame that the signal was poor in the bar and in my room which was at the end of a corridor to the extent that I was unable to make a Skype call and for e-mail had to re-join regularly.
All the above apart the location was good.

Room Tip: There appears to be better wifi connectivity in rooms nearer the stairway.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Hamish D
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Reception desk staff kept myself & my wife waiting over half an hour before booking us in. Keeping in mind only two people were in front of us. A 9 hr flight & 5 hrs on the rd. this was the last thing we needed! They are unprofessional & very very very slow!
Our room was next to air con generator which rumbled loud as hell! Each morning the staff chatted loudly & we had to endure constant ringing of their mobile phones!
The room was average. The pool ok other than them playing loud music most of the time. So we couldn't relax!
Door man & garden staff were lovely. Canteen staff also very nice.
The Reception desk staff suffer from dilutions of power, bless them.
We stayed there last year. This year we are going else where.
Jamaican room standards are low compared with a good tourist/business hotel in the UK. We understand this, but staff at the Knutsford need dropping on their heads. Then & only then they may understand good manners!i

Room Tip: If you suffer from asthma or chest infections, beware! The air con is noisy and dirty. Dose up with...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

We were in Jamaica as a large group for at wedding at the same time as carnival and the Knutsford court did their best to accommodate the large group. Are over all stay was great! My only complaint is that the "bar" area could have been larger. Also the pool could have been a little larger as well. And to no fault of the hotel, there isn't a lot to see or do within walking distance. If we are ever in Kingston again, we will defiantly go back!

Stayed: April 2014