“More than just Marley...”
Review of Trench Town

Trench Town
Book In Advance
More Info
US$70.00*
and up
Kingston City Tour
Reviewed 13 April 2013

You don't want to just stroll around here, but get a taxi or friend to take you into the urban sprawl that isn't just Trench Town, but a cluster of poor neighbourhoods that are hard to tell apart -- though that didn't keep denizens of each from engaging in all-out war some years ago; you can still see the pock marks left by bullets. I was struck by both the desperate poverty poverty and the people's spirit. Want to know why Bob was pissed? Have a look around, especially if you're staying in New Kingston with the villas and wealth and see the face of Kingston most visitors miss. Compare the level of services -- rare trash pick-ups, women wheeling makeshift water carriers to public wells, occasional electricity.

7  Thank Candonjan

Reviewed 21 February 2013

When Listening to reggae music from Jamaica their is one city mention over and over and this is Trench Town. Their is one reggae artist who is gone but he will never be forgotten his name is "CULTURE'' he has a song that paints a perfect scene in Kingston and that is the one of the coronation market. I had the opportunity of driving through Kingston which has a new Kingston. It is very interesting. However
The old Kingston I must say is so very historical, and the market scene is truly an experience of a lifetime.

1  Thank Lafoi
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Maybe its not for everyone but my experience in trench town was great I stayed for 7 months with my kids father and my kids.we absolutely loved it yes its a violent place SOMETIMES but they also have good times the street partys and the people r lovely so welcoming even the kids r friendly and they ALL did their part in helpin me enjoy my time there.I can't wait to go back this year with my daughter to see her father I haven't been for 5 years but I speak to my friends from there every day!!!!

4  Thank xxkykyxx
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I love Trench Towm the community was warm ,helpful and friendly. The goats walk freely and look amazingly healthy. The children were full of energy. I visited the wall of honor,Maypenn cemetery and Bob Marley foundation. Shout out to the Denam Town police chief of police.... Respect, I love Ja.

3  Thank Triniluver