“I love Jamaica but will stay elsewhere next time”

Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #62 of 131 Restaurants in Montego Bay
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Breezes is probably the least impressive place I've stayed on the island. It's pretty out-dated as far as the decor. The room felt old and desperately needed updating. The grounds could use some updating too.

The staff were friendly, the food was good, and the location was nice.

We will return to Jamaica many times, but until Breezes updates its property, especially the guest rooms, we'll pass on this resort.

Please note though that we stayed there in 2004, so they may have updated some things since that time.

3  Thank April H

Reviewed 17 August 2012

Overall, the experience was good but I don't know that we would go back. The beach was a bit dirty. Our pick up at the airport was a mess because their bus broke down. They ended up putting us in a taxi to the resort where the driver was drinking beer (at least he asked us if we wanted one). The pool was clean. Our best experience was the scuba diving. We are certified divers and we were actually the only certified divers at the resort. This meant we had private dives our entire trip. Just us, our dive master, and boat driver. They were very friendly and professional. The equipment was all new and worked great. The food in the specialty restaurants was great. The japanese teppanyaki restaurant was very much like Benihana and the french restaurant had great steak and lamb. Overall, the resort is a bit dated. The food for lunch was boring and limited. The breakfast buffet had everything we wanted. Overall, the experience was good, but I would probably stay somewhere else next time.

1  Thank Jessica L
Reviewed 9 August 2012

My husand and I went to Breezes Runaway Bay in May 2012 for our 25th wedding anniversary. We took our adult children with us. Lets start with our arrival to the resort. We got there around 1:00 in the afternoon and we were told our rooms would not be ready until 3:00 to 4:00. When we finally got in our rooms, we had no hot water. The hot water was out for more than 10 hours. Our a/c in our room was not working. We were told that they would send someone out to look at it as soon as possible. The following morning we went to the front desk and we were told all available personel were still working on the hot water problem. Some guest still were with out hot water. We asked to change rooms and they were taking longer than we anticipated to find an open room. We asked about the plunge pool rooms, they gave us that but we had to pay the difference in cost. One of my daughters room had roaches and ants in it. When they called down to the front desk it took them 2 hours to get someone up there to spray bug spray. When the housekeeping staff came in their room they stepped on the roach they saw and then sprayed for the ants. The next morning they saw another roach. Needless to say they switched rooms. The room that daughter #1 changed to had problems with their balcony doors and had mosquitoes. Her boyfriend was eaten up by them and had to go to the Nurse becuase he had an allergic reaction to the bites. My other daughters room had mosquitoes in it also. The sliding glass doors to their balcony did not shut all the way. The doors looked to big and there were gaps that did not close. She had so many mosquit bites. We purchased our renewal wedding package and everything we were supposed to get we had to keep asking for it. We were supposed to get a turn down service with champagne and fruit. We were supposed to have a tote bag with 2 t-shirts and our renewal certificate that we signed with the pastor. Our renewal of our vows were on Wednesday the 30th, our turn down service was thursday night with the tote bag and 2 t-shirts, no certificate was in the bag. We did not get the champagne and fruit until Friday mid morning, of course after we complained. Also we were supposed to have a excursion which was horseback riding. We requested this to be first thing in the morning on Friday. After we get up early and go down there we found out it was never scheduled. We did not want to go in the afternoon because it gets very hot in the afternoon and we wanted to spend the last day with the family. After I complained and it seemed like I was being a bother to them they offered to give me somethng else on the resort and they would let me know what they could do. I received a call letting me know they scheduled the horseback ride for 1:45pm. we received the call at 1:00pm we did turn that down as it was not what we wanted. They asked that I come back at 4:00 to get the renewal certificate and our 4 night stay certificate at Breezes. We get down there and they had us sign another certificate when we asked where is the one we signed with the pastor they could not find it. After reading the certificate they had the wrong date. Also during the day after 5:00pm the workers would bring their family and friends to the pool to use it. Hello we all pay to stay there and they are coming in for free!!! When we wrote a letter to Breezes resorts, no one contacted us or responded. I followed up with them again and was told that they responded to my travel agent. When I called my travel agent she sent me a copy of the letter that was supposedly sent to us by mail. She had just recieved it 3 days prior to me calling her. The letter was dated June 26, 2012, as of today August 9,2012 we still have not received anything by mail. In the letter they said thank you for bringing this to our attention. Because we declined to go on the horse back excursion they cannot do anything for us. Then in the last paragraph they state as a good gesture they will give us a 1(one) night stay at their Breezes Negril in Jamaica. We spent over $10K to bring our family to their resort and with all our problems they only want to give us a one night stay in Jamaica. We feel this was an insult to only offer a one night stay and then to have to use it at the Negril location instead of offering us to stay at any of their locations.

Another thing was you got somewhat good service if you tipped even though it is against policy to tip.

We have been to the Breezes in the Bahamas and we were treated so much better.

4  Thank Robert S
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I've been meaning to write this review since going to this resort back in march
2012. A coworker that had been to Jamaica 9 times recommended Runaway Bay to us
out of all the other places she had stayed because she thought we'd like it the
best. This is a great place to go just keep in mind that it's
more along the lines of a 4 star resort not a 5 star. I've been to all inclusives in Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico before so i do have something to compare this one to and I can honestly say i liked runaway bay a lot. The food is very fresh and delicious with a wide selection so you can have basically whatever you want. We stayed for 5
nights which was the perfect amount of time to be there. I can see why the food
situation would get redundant after a week but i have no complaints about it for
the 5 days we stayed, I ate something different every night. Defininity go to
the Japenese restaurant it was a lot of fun! They even let my boyfriend
participate in the cooking with them! Do take note though if you want to go to
the Italian restaurant make sure any males have nice pants and shoes. My
boyfriend only had shorts and sandals/sneakers with him so we were unable to try
there. The starlight grill was also very nice and romantic to eat at! The pools
were clean and not crowded at all. There are fun exercise classes in the
morning. You can literally lay on the fountain in the pool to tan or put your
lawnchair in the shallow section, so peaceful! The cabanas are cute and we
didn't have a hard time finding one to lay in unlike some places where people
have them saved all day. There was a beautiful banquet dinner on Friday night
where they put a sailboat in the middle of the pool and had lights on all the
cabanas. There is a meet and greet on Tuesdays poolside with fun foods. Our room
location was perfect, I'd recommend a balcony because you can leave your stuff
out to dry and not worry about anyone stealing it as opposed to a patio. The
drinks were delish, not watered down at all and good selection of quality
liquors, my boyfriend loved the red stripe beer, and the bartenders will make
you any flavor slushy drink u want, the limeades were the best! The jerk chicken
like everyone else said is awesome. I agree the rooms do need an upgrade curtain
and bedspread-wise but who cares? They clean them daily and yes there are a few
mosquitos but i had read that and brought bug spray and after the first night we
were fine just don't leave your doors open. There are locals on the beach trying
to sell you certain items which you may not be interested in but they aren't allowed to go past the shoreline so if you're just laying on the beach they can't come up to you , and if you're nice to them and say you aren't interested they said "no problem mon, have a good day" and leave you alone from there. The beach was white sand and clean, water was clear so you
could even see the fish in the water! There's a jacuzzi hidden in between some
landscaping if you walk around the resort that's a nice place to relax in. We
didn't get a private pool room and I'm glad because it's not worth it and there are a lot of leaves that fall in them so they aren't as clean as the main pool anyways. My boyfriend went to the golf course and just hit a bucket of balls just to try it (it was free) for something to do. There's always someone watering the grass or cutting it or just making the place
beautiful. The "disco" was hard to find. You have to go through a doorway in the
lobby area and we didn't notice it until the last night we were there
unfortunately so we missed out on all of that. We had been hanging out at the
lobby bar with the piano bar area thinking that was the disco part when someone
had told us "it's in the lobby". So make sure you ask if you can't find it. It's
literally a padded room with mirrors. It was also nice not having any kids
around there, only adults. Entertainment was great, from acrobatics to fire
juggling. The drive from the airport was kind of long so i suggest taking a cab
if you don't want to stop places and wait for others. You definitly have to tip
the bus drivers or anyone that handles your bags or they get upset. You won't be
tipping the rest of the week at the hotel so it's really not that big of a deal.
Don't be discouraged when you stop at the Trelawny Breezes first to drop those
guests of, Runaway Bay is MUCH nicer. Lastly I'd like to give an excellent
review to the scuba crew. This is a great place to go if you are certified or
want to get your certification. Special thanks to EB, Dwight, and George.
They're a lot of fun to go out with. We saw an airplane wreck so that was pretty
cool. It's free if you're certified and they usually do two dives a day and you
can go every day you're there. We brought our own stuff, just got the tanks from
them. We're 27 years old so maybe my review will make a difference for anyone
around our age traveling.

4  Thank Megan M
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I absolutely LOVED breezes Runaway Bay Jamaica.!! My boyfriend and I went for 5days and we had an amazing time. We didn't do any excursions or anything we just relaxed and enjoyed everything the resort had to offer. The beach was gorgeous we were there EVERY day!! The pools were nice but a little to hot, and we didn't mind because we basically had the beach to ourselves. The food was Fantastic!!! Everything from the Hibachi to the buffet and the Grill was my favorite, i still crave the jerked chicken!!! The staff was so friendly and outgoing and definitely made our trip a pleasant one!! The resort was so nice, very well kept and clean. The Massage girls were excellent!!! And the entertainment crew was Fabulous!!! I will absolutely be returning here!!! This year we are going to Punta Cana to check that out but i know i will want to return here in the future!!!