“Great food, reasonable price”
Review of The Pelican Grill

The Pelican Grill
Ranked #8 of 130 Restaurants in Montego Bay
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
KY
“Great food, reasonable price”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Pelican was quick walk from our hotel. It was reasonable price, friendly wait staff, and delicious food!! They were also really helpful given we had a person with a food allergy in our group. Oh, and the malts are TO DIE FOR. Absolutely awesome!!!

Visited July 2014

• Finnish first
Bowie, Maryland
“Very Good”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The service was fast and friendly. Drinks were strong, just right for vacation. We enjoyed oxtails, curry chicken and bbq chicken, all were delicious. Can't wait to visit again.

• Visited July 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Better luck next time”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My family and I were looking for a place to have breakfast. One of my local friends highly recommended this place and even came with us. As an international chef, I trusted his judgement. Based on food alone, the place has merit. Five of us went, we ordered 2 callaloo omelettes, 1 side of plantains, 1 side of breakfast potatoes, 1 brown stew, 1 American breakfast and 1 fish breakfast. Most of us enjoyed our food, with the exception of my sister, who found the yam too dry.

On service, however, we had a terrible experience. It completely affected our meal. We spoke to the manager, Ms. Elizabeth and in the end she comped the bill. Our server, Angela, seemed to have a problem with our family. She was jovial with her co-workers, smiling and genuinely seemed to enjoy being at work. For whatever reason, the minute she came over to our table, she turned serious, ignored my mother and friend's requests for coffee before we placed our orders. She took our orders and then brought out drinks. My mother requested straws and once again was ignored. All the while her demeanor changed while being with her co-workers than when dealing with us.

I should add that my mother was also blatantly ignored by another server, whose name I did not get. She looked straight at my mother, who was raising her hand and she kept walking, without even acknowledging her, telling her she would get Angela, asking her to wait a minute, NOTHING!

We brought this to the attention of Nadine, her supervisor, who kindly got us refills on our coffees. As Nadine was serving us coffee, Angela brought us the check, WITHOUT EVEN BEING ASKED FOR IT! This is was the straw that broke the camels back for me. This act practically screamed get out in my opinion. When I asked her if anyone had asked for the bill, she responded no. I told her directly that if she didn't want us there, then she could just tell us herself. She went on to say that unlike dinner where people order dessert, at breakfast the bill was brought after the meal. HELLO, HER SUPERVISOR WAS STILL SERVING US COFFEE!!!

According to Elizabeth, this is not the first time there is a complaint about her. She also explained that there were customers who do ask for Angela. Which once again, is proof, that she made a deliberate decision to treat us with hostility and rudeness.

This was my first time at The Pelican. I will wholeheartedly vouch for Mr. Dalton, who has been working there since the 70s. Nadine treated us well, as did Elizabeth. However, the fact that the majority of our experience was with Angela and that we even had to speak to Nadine and Elizabeth is what made this experience so bad.

I can see why it dropped to #9, from the original #1 spot that I saw not long ago. With employees like Angela the Pelican is doomed!

• Visited July 2014
Yanceyville
“Good food”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Come to expect good food at this restaurant ... Yes, pricey but service is good... Whatever happened to variety seafood platter choices?

Visited July 2014
Tenby, United Kingdom
“Great food and service and very relaxed”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Great sroundings goog value and great choice local international food served quickly and fondly at very affordable loved chikien and hot sauce and lobster.

• Visited February 2014