“Just returned from a little bit of heaven”
Review of Half Moon

Half Moon
Ranked #3 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Half Moon certainly is an experience to be totally enjoyed.
A long weekend or full vacation,does wonders to the soul.
The staff and service are well trained and proficient.
All the restaurants have a variety of cuisines.
However please indulge me as I do have a "fave"
Spend an evening or two or three at Sugar Mill.
Chris Golding(who I have named "world class chef")
will not disappoint.
Use the reservations staff they certainly are the best in the business.
Kick off your shoes and enjoy what the resort has to offer.

Room Tip: Reservations are very helpful, whatever your needs in terms of location proximity to main dining ro...
2  Thank phil d
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Dear Valued Guests,

It is always a pleasure receiving feedback from our valued clients. We thank you for taking the time to share your recent Half Moon, A RockResort experience.

Your lovely comments are highly appreciated, we will certainly share with the team particularly the team members mentioned - your “world class chef” Chris Golding will be delighted. Our ultimate goal is always to create an experience of a lifetime for you our valued guests.

Thank you for choosing Half Moon and taking the time to post your experience on TripAdvisor; we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back “home” in the not too distant future.

The Half Moon Team

Write a ReviewReviews (2,169)

Reviewed 25 June 2012

We loved Half Moon so much that we extended our stay! My husband and I stayed for a week with our toddler son in Cottage 4. The accommodations were truly luxurious: gorgeous decorating, spacious suite, comfortable bed, AMAZING view of the beach and bay. The service was outstanding: housekeeper was a gem, room service was so accommodating for our child, the grounds crew kept the beach and grounds perfect at all times. We used the resort's babysitting service and could not have been more pleased. Not only was our child safe and happy, but he had a total blast at the impressive children's center. The babysitter was warm, active, and incredibly caring and fun for our son to be with. My husband and I were so impressed at how friendly and professional the entire resort staff was...it was a pleasure interacting with them each day. There were so many great dining options, and we were never disappointed. Specific highlights were breakfast buffet by the ocean at the Sea Grape and dinner at the weekly Beach BBQ...amazing food with live reggae music right by the ocean...toes in the sand! We also loved dining at Robbie's Kitchen (aka The Pub), at Araya (Indian/Thai cuisine), and the Sugar Mill was a special treat. Food at all of the restaurants was great. The spa was on par with a Four Season caliber spa...it was so great that I went back twice because it is such a gorgeous and peaceful little (but it is BIG) piece of paradise. The property is so large, we had endless fun exploring the miles of beaches and all of the special amenities. Petting the dolphins and watching people swimming with the horses in the ocean were so memorable! My husband loved the golf course. Riding bikes around the property was a daily treat. The lap pool, fitness center and tennis courts are all top notch. We are already talking about booking another trip there, we loved it so much. The rich history, warm people, and unique property are really something special. I highly recommend a trip there!

Room Tip: Cottages are heavenly...just steps from the gorgeous sandy beach with perfect clear water wonderful...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lauren B
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

The lovely comments regarding your stay at Half Moon, A RockResort are highly appreciated. It was really a pleasure to have you as our treasured guests. We are happy your experience was all you anticipated, including your accommodation, activities, Food & Beverage. The Dolphin swim and the Equestrian beach ride are among the many activities our guests enjoy. We thank you for your comments regarding our staff whose ultimate objective is to create an experience of a lifetime for you our valued guests.

Thank you for sharing your Half Moon experience on TripAdvisor. We do look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you ‘home’ in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

So many things stood out about this property, but one aspect particularly made an impression on me. Half Moon offers a program to support the local elementary school by giving guests the opportunity to "pack for a purpose." This program encourages guests of the resort to use the extra space in their suitcase to bring over school supplies that are desperately needed in the local elementary school. Guests can drop these gifts off with the concierge and the hotel will deliver them to the school; it's as simple as that!

I got excited about this idea, so my boyfriend and I and stocked up on pencils, crayons, notebooks and several popular children's books to bring over on our trip. I am studying to become an elementary teacher and was very interested in visiting the school and taking the supplies over myself. The Half Moon staff was very gracious and helpful in accommodating my request. They arranged a to visit the school, where I was able to observe a first-grade class for 2 hours and deliver the supplies myself. Seeing the school in person made me realize just how thankful these gracious people were to receive such simple gifts. In the classroom I observed, several children were missing either a pencil or notebook paper. What seem like such simple, inexpensive items to us are graciously & eagerly received by them.

If you are planning a trip to Half Moon, I HIGHLY ENCOURAGE you to take advantage of this simple way to give back to this hospitable community.

7  Thank Elise O
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Dear Valued Guests,

We thank you for choosing Half Moon, A RockResort for your recent vacation experience.

It is truly heart-warming receiving such lovely comments – our “Pack for a Purpose” program offers our valued guests an opportunity to reach out in a practical way to our elementary school children. Thank you for participating and for personally sharing with the children – this is truly admirable and appreciated – you will certainly become a caring and effective elementary school teacher in the future.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back `home’ soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

I stayed at Half Moon while attending a business conference, so that sets the tone for a review from a different perspective than many guests would have. That said, I wish I’d stayed at the nearby Ritz Carlton instead.

The first villa room I was assigned was badly in need of attention. Located in villa 94, the room was upstairs on the back of the building, and the noise from the main road along the coast, behind the villa, was annoying. Entering the villas that back on the main road is awkward, as you must pass through the pool area to enter the villa, rather than the reverse, as in the resort’s other villas. After entering the room using an old-style metal key (not an electronic door lock as were on the other resort rooms), I found a room that was probably last renovated in the 80s. The furniture had been stained and varnished by someone who thought the hardware should be covered, too, leaving them permanently sticky. The reception on the old-style tube TV was fuzzy at best, and the bathroom tile was broken, stained, and clearly in need of replacing. When I returned to my room after a trip to the commissary, to find the air conditioning broken and no specific time estimate for a repair, I’d had enough and asked to be relocated to a room out of that building and was courteously accommodated.

My new room in a similar villa nearby, one on a side road and not backing on the main highway was in generally better condition. It was cleaner, had a small but serviceable HDTV (but no HD channels and still spotty reception), and was in a quiet location. The room still lacked in many items that I’d consider a prerequisite in a resort of this standing: there was no clock in the room, the lighting was very dim, and the high speed internet was accessible in the public area of the villa, but not in my room. There was no in-room coffee maker (you must trek all the way to the main building for coffee each morning – the villa staff don’t provide it), and if you need to plug in a phone, iPad, laptop, or other equipment, plan to crawl behind the dresser or nightstand to unplug a lamp. The single bathroom outlet is labeled “razors only,” so even though it appears to be one that could be used for electronic equipment, I didn’t want to chance it.

The bathroom was, quite simply, annoying, with its pint-sized “campstool toilet,” and shower that is so narrow that an average sized person will rub one elbow on the shower curtain, and another on the shower wall, while trying to shower. Hotels worldwide have installed curved shower rods to make the shower space wider, but Half Moon hasn’t done so yet. The faucets in the sinks lack a filter screen, so the water hits the basin and sprays everywhere, including the clothes you’re wearing, as you brush teeth, wash hands, draw water to drink, etc. The wall-mounted hair dryer is an economy motel product that produced the wind of barely a gentle breeze. The shower, sink and hairdryer issues are easy fixes that would be expected at a four-star hotel. The bath amenities are large, but nothing special.

Service was OK, but inconsistent. The bell staff are awesome and very accommodating. The front desk and villa staff are all very welcoming and want to ensure a nice stay. That said, the sheets of my room weren’t changed once during my five night stay. The bathroom glasses weren’t washed or replaced, the bath towels were left askew on the rod, just as I’d left them, while the same terry bathmat was left on the floor for the entire stay. I’m not sure what the room attendant actually did to clean and straighten the bathroom during my stay.

What was good about the resort? The setting is very attractive, the golf carts provided for the long trips from the villas to the main building are well kept and problem free, and the main building restaurant offers a very good breakfast buffet each morning. The shopping and restaurant area are very close, just outside a gate at the villa end of the resort, and include a commissary for supplies, a Thai/Indian restaurant with good food: an authentic English Pub with wide variety on its food and drink menus and TVs to catch the games; and various other shops.

My recommendations are these: consider staying in the main hotel rooms, and if you go with a group or otherwise prefer villas, be sure to stay away from the villas that back on the main highway. Know that the quality and upkeep of villa rooms varies from one building to another so if you’re not happy with your first room, request to be moved. If you need a powerful hairdryer, bring your own. If you have multiple electronic gadgets, bring a small plug strip or something similar. Engage your villa room attendant early to ask about her policy on changing sheets and towels (and be sure to tip as you go). Sign the golf cart usage form immediately so you can set out on your own to explore the resort. Finally, if you’re attending a business meeting and have the option to stay at the Ritz Carlton, save the hassle of inconsistent villa quality and the need to use a cart to get to the main building, and do so.

Room Tip: Avoid the villas that back on the main road
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Louis59
Management response:Responded 21 June 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for visiting Half Moon, A RockResort for your special conference. We appreciate your feedback which is not only important, but it is critical to our continuous improvement. We regret that your villa experience did not exceed your expectation; and offer our sincere apologies for any inconvenience or discomfort encountered. We have good news! Some selected villas are slated for renovation this summer.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you with an experience of a lifetime. Should you decide to visit us in the future, please feel free to contact me directly at (e-mail: SCrichton@halfmoon.com)

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your useful feedback. We look forward to the privilege of serving you again,

Reviewed 17 June 2012

My husband and I recently celebrated our honeymoon at the Half Moon Hotel. It has been a while since I've seen such courteous staff and service. From the security guards right up to management showcases exquisite service, and skills of that of a well trained hospitality worker. I was impressed also with the lovely vibrant lady that met us at the entrance of Sugar Mill Restaurant - Kerisha i think her name was. She kept us entertained before seating us. We were given first class service again by our waitress Shirley.
Overall, the property is well kept, nice facilities, and great views. I would focus on having more options on the dinner menu, as it is mainly consisted of seafood dishes, and not just at one restaurant. Also the rooms could be more modern in terms of interior designs, fabric choices and colour schemes - in keeping up with this day and age. Love the bathroom in the hibiscus suite! Maybe the space can be utilized some more though. I would definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ocean View of the Hibiscus Suit is awesome. Catch the sunrise and sunsets.
2  Thank sugah876
Management response:Responded 21 June 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

It was a pleasure having you as our treasured guests; we thank you for taking the time to share your Half Moon, A RockResort experience on tripAdvisor. Thank you for the complimentary comments towards our dedicated team in particular the team players mentioned, Kerisha and Shirley. Our ultimate goal is always to create an experience of a lifetime for you our valued guests.

Again, thank you for choosing Half Moon and taking the time to give us our feedback. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back “home” soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2012

This is my third visit to Half Moon Resort at Rose Hall and I must say that my stay this time around was far more pleasant then my second visit in 2006. My first stay at this resort happened in the mid - eighties – a most fantastic experience then!
The service has seen an overall improvement and the general appearance of the resort is far better too. My room (actually a studio suite) was spacious and well equipped and the housekeeping unobtrusive but very good. The food and service excellent and very pleasant and attentive.

My only gripe would be the inconsistent (or nonexistent?) WIFI – as a businessman I am in constant need to be on line to download documents and websites and that was simply not possible.
The signal was weak at best and nonexistent most of the time. The only choice was to sit in the lobby and work at 90 degrees or visit the business center – and there sometimes it took some maneuvering.

I would like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to Heinz Simonitsch who was for many years the driving force to make Half Moon one of the finest resorts in the Caribbean . It became then and is today a truly great place and I hope that today’s management emulates Heinz – a great Hotelier.

A special thank you to GM Aram Zerunian who has had the difficult task of bringing the place back to some of it’s old glory.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank ewaldbiemans
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

The lovely comments regarding your recent stay at Half Moon, A RockResort are highly appreciated; it was a pleasure serving you again. We are happy your experience was all you anticipated apart from the challenge with the WIFi, which is currently undergoing some upgrades.

We thank you for the compliments towards Heinz Simonitsch a stalwart hotelier and our GM Aram Zerunian.

Thank you for your return visit to Half Moon, we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you to your home-away- from-home.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

Just returned from a week at the Half Moon Rock Resort, and I have to say the experience was amazing! We loved this resort so much. My boyfriend had stayed here years ago in 1985 through shareholder/school friend and remembered how great the trip was. He had some vacation time so he booked the trip based on his past experience.

When we arrived at the hotel, the staff was very warm and accommodating. You get a complimentary rum punch on arrival and the hotel is very close to the airport. No need for the airport roadie like in Cabo. ;-) Everything seemed all too familiar to him as we arrived to our suite. It was part of the exact house he had stayed some 20 years ago. Just broken down into smaller suites, about a 400 sq foot space. We had a Western Cottage village that opened out onto the beach. Each morning we enjoyed coffee and a warm sunny start to the day. This beach seemed to be the popular beach location on the resort and it was awesome walking out directly to the gorgeaous view. There is a main living room with TV/Desk, pull out couch. French doors to a queen size bedroom w/a pretty large bathroom. I loved this room. This would be considered the older part of the resort, but the location I think is the best.
We got to see one of the spa suites. Here there is a massage table in your room, it is much larger, and the bedroom opens to the beach. However you are very isolated, the beach is better in the main villas. For the price I would personally suggest the Main Western Cottage.

The best pool in my opinion is the main pool. You could order a nice lunch bar side, along w/any of the many drink offerings if you were so inclined.

The spa. We had an incredible couples spa cottage massage overlooking the beach. The sound of the waves while you enjoy the very relaxing massage is the best! Our masseuses were Chantal and Herga. We both wanted very firm pressured massages and they did not disappoint. I think the spa does take time to make sure the that you have the type of massage you want, so don't be fearful of this review. Later that week Herga flat ironed my hair (oh the humidity) and my boyfriend got a pedicure. I think both of those services were equally good. The pricing for their services in my opinion is a little steep so be prepared for that. But the overall experience makes up for it.

Finally the staff, we can not say enough the staff at the Half Moon. We made a list and I'm sure we forgot some folks but the staff was incredible. Every single person made you feel like you were family. Beach attendants Lincoln and 'D' were always around to make sure you could enjoy your time there. D found and polished up a gorgeous seashell to take home. From the main bar, Fitzgerald will make you a fine classic cocktail and he's so warm and takes care of you. Also at this bar are Caswell, Jason, Ricardo, Roxwell, all great guys that we have so 'much respect' for. Poolside you should definitely see Donnie, Dale, and another Jason. Donnie is so cute and funny, she was very good with all the kids at the pool. We walked out to the 19th hole bar (to attempt some exercise) and on the way there is Donovan at the Oleander bar, and Millford at the 19th Hole bar. Millford was very pleasant and introduced us to the Juicy Beef patties. Last but not least is Miss Rubena, our room attendant, house keeper, she was about the sweetest lady ever. Her attention to detail was great and she respected our privacy and brought us beautiful flowers to adorn our bed. She knew of my boyfriends former association to the family there and made sure he gave his contact info to facilitate the reconnection. I can't say much more about the staff other than they were so lovely and I felt like I was at home!

We decided last minute to do the meal plan based on previous reviews. I think we more than made up for it. Drinks run approximately $8/beer, $12/drink. Meals were about $15-20, low end. This does not include the resort fee attached to each and the included grat.

Try the Friday night BBQ, a meal or two out at the Sugar Mill, and go to Scotchy's...I loved the Jerk Fish and Chicken. We got some sauce to take home.

Activities on property: swimming with dolphins, swimming on horses in ocean, putt putt golf, bike and golf cart rentals, most water sports, lap pool, extensive tennis course and golf course with lessons, and a great gym with spinning and yoga classes. Also great for children as there is onsite nanny service, and a large section dedicated to kids activities (wasn't going at the time were here but some sort of kids/tweens camp).

We are already considering our next trip there and it will definitely be at this resort!

4  Thank Kim J
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing the lovely comments regarding your recent stay at Half Moon, A RockResort. It is a pleasure receiving such detailed and positive feedback on not only the resort and it offerings but our dedicated team. We will certainly share your beautiful comments with the team members mentioned and indeed the entire team. Our ultimate goal is always to create an experience of a lifetime for you our valued guests. You are certainly Half Moon Ambassadors.

Again, thank you for choosing Half Moon and taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We are happy your experience was all you anticipated; we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back “home” very soon.