“lovely hotel truely enjoyed the stay”
Review of Half Moon

Half Moon
Ranked #2 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 7 January 2014

gorgeous hotel with miles of space to explore along with a nice golf course the other side of the road.

the hotel was clean the food was good and the service superb the only thing that could be a pain was it could take a long time for the golf buggies to come when requested

i would definatly stay here again

Room Tip: villas are well worth a stay
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stuart B
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Valued Guests,

We sincerely appreciate your taking the time to share review on your Half Moon, A RockResort visit on Trip Advisor.

You have echoed the sentiment of so many of our esteemed guests … we totally agree with you that Half Moon is a gorgeous hotel with miles of space. The resort is set on 400 beautifully manicured acres, offering unique accommodations and a myriad of recreational activities to include our award-winning, Par 72 golf course designed by Robert Trent Jones Sr.

Happy you enjoyed your dining experience; our talented team of acclaimed chefs ensures that each guest taste buds are tantalized with their sumptuous cuisine.

I aplogise for the inconvenience encountered from the extended wait for the golf cart – I will be sure to address this.

Again, thank you very much for your lovely review. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We first went to the Half Moon in 2008 as a couple and had a fantastic time. We just returned from our second visit, this time with our 4.5 year old son. Again, we had a wonderful stay. It's a beautiful resort with something for everyone. The first time around we wanted to avoid families and kids, just to enjoy ourselves and have fun on our own. We were easily able to do that. This time around we met lovely families with children and had a fantastic week. The food is great (we are foodies, so our expectations are high) and the rooms are very comfortable. Service is impeccable. We will go back again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank NYPhotogirl

Dear Valued Guests,

What a thrill to hear that you had another wonderful experience at Half Moon, this time with your son – our very important little guest.

Half Moon is certainly a family resort – there is never a dull moment with our wide range of recreational activities be it Golf, Tennis, Fitness, spa, equestrian, water sports or not be left out, the Anancy Children’s Village which offers numerous activities with each activity supervised by a well-trained coordinator.

I am delighted you had a great dining experience, compliments to our talented team of acclaimed chefs serving up simply unforgettable dishes from our seven restaurants.

I have further noted that you have not only enjoyed your dining experience but also your accommodation…each room or suite at Half Moon is given its own distinct look and feel; happy you relished the comfort.

Your Half Moon family surely appreciates your patronage and looks forward to your next visit hopefully in the near future.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Thank you Half Moon for what was a beautiful experience, celebrating our fiftieth wedding Anniversary. My husband and I could not have chosen a more enchanting, picturesque grounds to stroll on. With its majestic palm trees and beautifully kept grounds.
On immediately entering the Lobby, we were met by Ruth-Ann who was very courteous and friendly. She had us registered and given the relevant guest information with keys to a beautifully made up room with a relaxing atmosphere.
Our experience of a most pleasant and exciting time was given to the cheerfulness and professionalism of the Seagrape Terrace staff supervised by Mr. Everett Baker and Mr. Winston Smart.
Our thanks to management, Mr. Wordsworth Watson -estate manager and all other departmental staff for their assistance in making our celebration a reality. To Courtney for playing a special tune on the piano.
You have all made our Anniversary a very memorable experience. Have a blessed New Year Half-Moon.
Keith &Violet.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Russell95
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Valued Guests,

We are thrilled that you had such an enjoyable Anniversary Celebration with the Half Moon A. RockResort family. Thank you for sharing your experience on tripadvisor.

Our team tries hard to provide the best possible service and amenities to our valued guests and their satisfaction is our reward. Our many treasured guests like yourselves, are immediately captivated by the luxury of our 400 acres of landscaped natural beauty- it’s one of the reasons we are the Caribbean’s premier resort.

Thank you for complimenting the team in particular Ruth-ann, Everett Baker, Winston Smart and ofcourse the pianist Courtney. We will certainly share your beautiful comments with them.

Again, your review is appreciated, thank you for sharing – we look forward to another opportunity of welcoming you back on your next Anniversary and beyond.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stayed at Halfmoon in December 2013 and had the most amazing time. From the gated entrance, the lobby, suite and grounds--it is such a palatial setting, grand and statuesque. The grounds are well kept and the suites well-maintained. Stayed in the Hibiscus suite which is gorgeous and right on the water. The view and sound of the ocean magnificent! I literally walked out of my suite to the beach. The resort is secure, private and protected. The staff is amazing from bell to concierge, to front desk to wait staff; there purpose is to ensure all your needs are met and that you have an amazing time; felt truly pampered!! One day we ordered Jamaican patties and they were out; we were told they would make more if we did not mind waiting; it was so worth it; we were greedy and ate way too many patties…yummy . The Sugar Mill restaurant was fantastic and food was great; loved eating at Il Giardino and the Seagrape for breakfast was phenomenal. The Jamaican rum toast was to die for; I am salivating just thinking about it. Fern Tree Spa is exquisite--from the staff, the ambience, the treatments--all created an experience of a lifetime. This was my second trip to Halfmoon as the first one back in November 2012--I was too sick to enjoy although I made a valiant attempt. The welcome back to Halfmoon was tremendous and everyone made me feel so special!! From the airport transfer to the very last day!! Thanks very much to the entire staff for an amazing holiday (Paula L., Pat W., Wayne, Watson, David (pool side), Theresa at Fern Tree, Renata at Seagrape, Simon and Gavin at the Sugar Mill, …cannot remember everyone’s names). Oh, cannot forget the band that played in the evenings--amazing!! Looking forwarding to seeing you soon.

Room Tip: All rooms are amazing; Hibiscus is on the water and on the quiter side of the resort; the West Cotta...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank olivia s
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Valued Guests,

We thank you for sharing feedback from your recent stay at Half Moon, A RockResort on tripadvisor. It was a pleasure serving you again; we are thankful that this time around you were able to fully enjoy your Half Moon experience in every way. Your accommodation, dining experiences, and ofcourse the Fern Tree Spa, a 68,000 square feet sanctuary for the mind and body, among our many other activities and amenities that Half Moon offers.

Thank you for recognizing members of our dedicated team, they are certainly the ones who learn the idiosyncrasies of our clients and make each visit special. We will share your beautiful comments with the entire team expecially the names mentioned.

Again, thank you for your review; it was a pleasure serving you again and we look forward to another return visit.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

So first let me say that everyone is extremely nice, polite and as helpful as they can be. The resort is still beautiful, the dolphins are still jumping, the beach is still gorgeous (although one needs to arrive early in the am to reserve a chair) the facilities are well managed, and the food at the restaurants is still better than most but nothing special. The experience was just not as good as last year's.

When we arrived, we were ushered into a small office around the corner from the reception desk and told we would check in there. I asked why the special treatment and we were told it was because of the American Express platinum card reservation. We were told about the benefits of the card and that the "upgrade if available" was, in fact, available. We were getting a spa suite, a step up from the regular suite we had last year.

We were taken to the suite and it had the same beautiful ocean view as every other room. However, the configuration of the room was unlike anything we had ever seen. There were two gigantic rooms: a living/ dining room and a bedroom/bathroom room, the latter with a bed on one end, a shower, tub and toilet on the other and a jacuzzi in the middle - no door between the tub and the bed. Not immediately charmed by the configuration and not really needing the extra space, I called and asked that we be downgraded and moved to the room level we paid for, only to be told that the resort was filled and we could not be moved. So I went to the front desk to confirm this and it was the case. So I asked if we could be moved the next day and, after a lot of checking, we were told that there was a room we could have at 2 or 3 the next day.

So we went back to the room, only to find that the toilet did not work. No water. Back to the front desk to obtain a promise that it would be fixed immediately. We had lunch, walked around, went back to the room . The toilet worked but there was no hot water. Another call and several visits from the maintenance crew brought back all the cold water and at 7 pm a promise that the hot water would be restored shortly. We mentioned that we both like hot water when we shower and were told not to worry. When I asked what would happen should the hot water not be restored, the person at the front desk said there was a room close by that where we could shower. I asked why we couldn't stay there and was told it was not available.

Out to dinner and back to the hotel to find ( and we were not surprised) that the hot water had not returned. It had still not returned by noon the next day when the people in the room we were promised checked out and we were told to check back around 1:30 to see if the room was ready. It was and we were moved, after having to repack our luggage. We were told we would get a partial credit toward the room charge which in fact happened.

Things calmed down after the move and we could finally relax. There was one thing however that troubled me. There were robes (although they were not available for six hours after the move) but no slippers. I seemed to remember slippers from last year but my wife encouraged me to not ask about them because we might be considered troublemakers. But it gnawed at me and I finally asked someone from the housekeeping staff and was told that, in fact, slippers are available; one just needs to request them.

I think it is important to make clear that I travel for business frequently, almost always staying at robeless, slipperless hotels. I just didn't expect that I would have to request slippers at a Rockresort. We were given two pairs of generic white slippers, i.e. no logo or name on them and all was well. The only problem and the issue that made it difficult to relax and enjoy our last two days was that I couldn't stop wondering what else I hadn't gotten that I might have enjoyed but that one had to request. It was not as though there was a sign that said:"if you want x or y, please ask.

The only other sour note was that the hotel arranged for us to go to the airport at noon for a 2:40 flight. I assumed there would be a bus going and that it was timed to accommodate flights earlier than 2:40. We would be good citizens and go with the presumed others. Well, we were picked up in a limo for two, arriving at the airport at 12:15, for a 2 1/2 hour visit. While sitting there and wondering why the hotel had arranged for us to go at noon, it occurred to me that they probably wanted the room and that, had we requested late checkout ( to which were entitled), the room could not be cleaned at the time the hotel wanted it cleaned.

Anyway, in spite of this and that, we had a wonderful time and would probably return although we would confirm that we had a hold on the room we had paid for.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Andycat1
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Valued Guests,

We sincerely appreciate your taking to share feedback on your recent Half Moon visit. Objective feedback from our guests is an integral part of our strategy to continuously improve our guest experience.

Your comments regarding configuration of your upgraded suite are timely,as based on comments from our valued guests like yourselves, plans are already in place to reconfigure those suites, and upon your return visit you will notice the difference.

We sincerely regret the lack of hot water for some time on your first day- this was due to a broken water main which affected our hot water supply. Again, we apologise for the discomfort encountered.

The special VIP check-in you mentioned is normally extended to our returning clients and not necessary resulting from your American Express platinum booking. We trust you enjoyed the atmosphere.

We apologise for any inconvenience encountered with the bed slippers – these are given upon request from the guests – we agree that you should have been informed of this change and will use your comment to add this necessary information to our check-in/orientation process. This change was made only with the slippers, our guests continue to receive our choice amenities.

We have noted your comments regarding your airport transfer time however, based on the airline requirement of a three hour check-in time. The Destination Management Company –Jamaica Tours confirms your pick up time and not Half Moon. Upon checking with Jamaica Tours they have confirmed that for a 2:40pm flight the standard pick-up time is 12:00 noon.

We very much regret that as valued repeat guests we did not meet your expectations in certain areas of our service delivery. Notwithstanding, you had a wonderful vacation and your Half Moon family certainly looks forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future. Please contact me personally at Scrichton@halfmoon.com whenever you have decided on a return visit.

Again, we thank you for your candid feedback.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

My daughter's wedding was December 8, 2013 and it was the most wonderful experience we could have ever hoped for. The music, food, setup , DJ and service were all fabulous!! We will be back for family vacations!

Room Tip: All the rooms were great. We loved the Villas, but, the rooms by the resort would be better fro coup...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guests,

It is always a pleasure receiving feedback from our valued clients.

Half Moon, A RockResort, is one of the premier wedding destinations in Jamaica; we offer a wide array of extraordinary choices in accommodation, dining and breathtaking venues, which create the perfect backdrop for romance.

Our Romance Specialists are experts in planning and managing bespoke weddings and constantly deliver experiences that leave an indelible footprint that will be cherished forever. This was the experience of your daughter’s wedding.

Thank you for choosing Half Moon for your daughter’s special occasion. We look forward to welcoming you back for a family vacation and certainly on the couple’s first Anniversary and beyond.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We went here for our wedding, the resort is beautiful but the MANAGEMENT WAS HORRIBLE! The pricing on many things like the day fee, activities, special packages are VERY CONFUSING. We were incorrectly charged multiple times. When you try to resolve anything no one can give you a straight answer. Day after day it was something. It all started with making reservations, they are so unorganized. I am so sorry that I continued with the reservations and ended up having my wedding here - I should have figured that this would continue throughout our stay. We tried working with an incorrect charge with the resort for 4 days and they finally took it off of our bill, only to find out that they RE-CHARGED our credit card the day after we left!! We're talking over $1,000! DEFINITELY GO THROUGH YOUR BILL AS THERE WERE SEVERAL INCORRECT CHARGES. Our room had a leak in the bathroom from the AC unit which took them a full day to figure out and another day to offer to move us - I got ready for my wedding in a flooded bathroom, nice.
All of our guests that were there for the wedding had the same kinds of experiences with the management staff and incorrect charges. How embarrassing.
Bottom line is that we WOULD NOT recommend Half Moon - go somewhere else where they hire management without attitudes and half a brain! Half Moon, you should seriously consider replacing your management staff or send them to some classes where they can learn professionalism and proper customer service.
I have never written a bad review before and have been on many wonderful vacations, but this was a bad enough experience that my husband and I wanted to take the time to do this.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family