“Beautiful Property, not quite 5 star though”
Review of Half Moon

Half Moon
Ranked #3 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Estero, Florida
“Beautiful Property, not quite 5 star though”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My wife and I stayed in a royal villa with some friends and teammates at the Half Moon and we loved many parts of the trip and thought some areas could use improvement.

The property itself is beautiful with many neat little nooks with bridges, beaches, gazebos, etc. Love doing the whole golf cart around the resort thing and they had access to cool shops inside the resort and right outside the gate.

We thought the food was OK, not great. We ate in the villa as well as at Robbi's (great value) and seagrape for the breakfast buffet.

The very best part of the resort, in my opinion, is the spa. We did two deep tissue 80 minute massages (quite pricey at $247 each but we felt worth it as it really was good) and the pools INSIDE the spa are actually the best in the entire resort. The gym was also great, kinda smells funny when you first walk in but either side of the gym where you actually work out is fine.

Where it could be improved:
- There is no working hot tub on the property that we could find (even in the spa, crazy right?)
- There is no epic beachside pool to our knowledge that is customary to most big time resorts like this
- We didn't have any problems but many of our friends had AC problems and in June, you want AC in Jamaica =)

All in all, a good resort, had lots of fun, had we to do it over we would stay in the spa rooms which sound cooler than the villa we stayed in.

Room Tip: From what we know, go with the spa rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ray H
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to pen your TripAdvisor review on your recent Half Moon A, RockResot experience. Feedback from our guests is always welcomed as it allows us to identify areas of concerns, and make the necessary adjustments to further refine our product.

We are disappointed that you did not fully enjoyed your villa experience; the villas are usually a perfect choice for families, friends or groups who seek privacy and seclusion in the ambiance of a private home setting. We regret any discomfort encountered with the air-conditioning; the villa bedrooms are fully air-conditioned however, the common areas are not – but are ‘open and airy’. Concerning the Jacuzzi – there are two major Jacuzzis, not sure what might have happened, but both Jacuzzis were never down at the same time; nonetheless we sincerely apologise for the inconvenience encountered.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, we are happy you enjoyed several aspects of your experience, especially the spa; the Fern Tree Spa, a 68,000 square feet sanctuary for the mind and body, is a high preference among our many guests.

Again, thank you for sharing your objective review. We look forward to another opportunity to welcome you back in the not so distant future. Please feel free to contact me at Scrichton@halfmoon.com and I will be happy to assist in making the necessary arrangements.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
Georgetown, Guyana
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We had our wedding on May 10th, 2014 and we could not have been happier with the outcome. It was a large group and we booked a few of the villas.. The staff at the villas were absolutely amazing.. At the end of the trip they felt like family and we were all sad to leave. They were extremely proficient in the planning of our special day as well as all the events leading up to it.. Everyone at the resort went above and beyond to ensure our trip was a success. There were also some great restaurants on site that I know some of my guests truly enjoyed.

Room Tip: When traveling with large groups - the villas are definitely the way to go!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JCP2575
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

It is always a pleasure receiving feedback from our valued clients; thank you for choosing Half Moon as the resort of choice for your very special occasion.

Half Moon, A RockResort, is one of the premier wedding destinations in Jamaica; we offer a wide array of extraordinary choices in accommodation, dining and breathtaking venues, which create the perfect backdrop for romance.

Our Romance Specialists are experts in planning and managing beautiful customized weddings and constantly deliver experiences that leave an indelible footprint that will be cherished forever; as was the case of your wedding. We will be happy to share on your compliments with the Romance team.

Again, thank you selecting Half Moon and for sharing your tripadvisor review. We look forward to welcoming you back for your first Anniversary and many more. Congratulations!

Jamaica
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is one of the best hotel that I have had a vacation. Everything and every aspect was perfect. I am very big on customer service and this was certainly exhibited.

Room
This was spacious and comfortable with a lovely jacuzzi. I had a room that was in front of the beach and in the afternoons, I would come out on my balcony and relax.

This was excellent and importantly, ypu must try the sugar mill restaurant. The food was excellent and the ambiance was so breathtaking.

Overall. I enjoyed both horse riding and as well cycling which I did for exercise.

Overall, the experience was excellent.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for choosing Half Moon for your recent vacation and for sharing your review on tripadvisor; it was a pleasure serving you as our treasured guests.

Half Moon offers a diversity of activities, including Golf, Tennis, Equestrian, Dolphin Lagoon, happy you enjoyed the horseback riding –it's oneof the preferred activities among our guests. We are thrilled you enjoyed not only your accommodation but your dining experience at Sugar Mill – another favourite dining option.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your Half Mon experience – we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The Half Moon property and staff are amazing! Our family had a wonderful week at Half Moon. The rooms are incredibly clean, spacious and attractively decorated. Our Hibscus suite had lobely ocean views and two porches. The beaches and water sports are top notch. We enjoyed our meals at the restaurants on site and off the resort. The cuisine with Jamiaican flair is top notch. I particularly loved the delicious and abundant breakfast buffet with wonderful local fruit. My family had a blast taking advantage of all the outdoor activities from tennis, snorkeling, kayaking, swimming with dolphins, fishing etc. The conceirge arranged for us to have a very fun outing going to Dunn's River Falls--very memorable! I was so impressed with the lovely staff and how welcome they make you feel and how the attend to every detail. Half Moon is a wonderful resort and we look forward to going back again.

Room Tip: I would recommend the Hibscus Suites since they are right on the ocean and near the pools/tennis/mai...
1 Thank Julia B
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

We are thrilled your recent experience at Half Moon, A RockResort was wonderful, thank you for sharing your beautiful review on tripadvisor.

Half Moon, A RockResort , the perfect vacation destination for couples and familes, sits on 400 exquisitely manicured acres, offering numerous recreational activities and amenities to include: tennis, water sports Golf, dolphin lagoon – to name a few. Happy you got the opportunity to experience and enjoy some to the activities on property and
the Dunn’s River Falls(off property)…one of the favourite attractions among our visitors.

We are pleased you enjoyed your dining experience; the chefs from our six restaurants surely know how to tantalize the taste buds of our many discerning clients.

Thank you for recognizing the team whose goal is always to create and experience of a lifetime for our many valued guests. Again, we sincerely appreciate your review, the Half Moon family looks forward to welcoming you back home in the not so distant future.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Our taxi driver told us this was the most expensive hotel on Jamaica.
And it sure was. But I don't know why? I'm sure in it's hey day it was probably magnificent but times have changed and other far better hotels and resorts have opened on Jamiaca.
For a start the resort is too large. And therefore attention to detail has been lost. Which when you are paying top dollar you expect.
Our room was ok, but only ok. It had been recently repainted, but badly, paint was splattered over steps, bathroom fittings, tiles etc, shower heads were loose or hanging off, taps and fittings I felt were cheap, shoddy for a suite at $1000 plus per night.
I went to buy two packets of crisps for my kids, and the very sweet barman warned me it was going to cost $12, I walked away, (clearly I wasn't the first) somewhat in shock, minus the crisps. Later bought some from a shop off site, ten minutes away for $1.00. Sure I expected to pay more from the bar but that kind of thing just leaves me cold and feeling very ripped off.
This resort is fine, swimming pools, beaches etc are all great, it's just too expensive.
And quite honestly why go to Jamaica and stay here, could have been anywhere once you were inside the gates.

3 Thank BluebellChloe
Dear Valued Guests,

Feedback from our valued customers are always appreciated; we thank you for sharing review on your recent visit to Half Moon, A RockResort. We regret that you did not fully enjoy your experience.

Half Moon set on 400 splendidly kept manicured acres, offering its guests an expanded selection activities, amenities and accommodation. The ‘spread out’ configuration of the property gives our guests the privacy and seclusion they yearn.

Half Moon is celebrating its 60th Anniversary this year, we do our best to create a balance between our guests who love the old world charm and those who like the modern contemporary feel therefore, we offer our clients an old charm mixed with modern style; creating still a luxurious product.

We do apologise for any shortcoming experienced with your accommodation and thank you for your patience while we addressed the concerns.

We are pleased that notwithstanding the areas that did not exceed your expectations, you found the resort , its beach, swimming pools and other facilities ‘great’ . Again, thank you for your feedback, we trust you will give us another opportunity to turn your experience around.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Are you kidding me? How could this hotel be so highly rated? This was the worst all-inclusive resort that I've ever been to. I recently returned from a destination wedding to the resort and was sorely disappointed.
First of all, they charge you $50 per person per room at check in for "incidentals". They then nickel and dime you the entire stay. From a $6.60 delivery charge for room service to $5 for the small bag of cookies in your room, you are charged for everything outside of non-bottled drinks and food in select restaurants. I could not believe that we had to sign a receipt for meals every time that we ate and pay a deposit for rusty old bikes. Every member of my party was charged for something they didn't use at check out. I was told by the manager that they were not an all-inclusive resort, even though we paid the all-inclusive rate. Who does that? It's ridiculous!
Outside of the rooms, there is very little air conditioning throughout the 400 acre campus. I love JAMAICA, but it's much too hot to go without ac. Finally, the food was sub-par. I got sick on a few occasions. I was glad that my brother drove off site for local fare. I would never recommend this hotel!
The two stars are for the smiles and great treatment by the staff. We especially loved Omar. He was always right there to help whenever we needed him, almost as if he read our minds. Otherwise, not deserving of the other high ratings.

Room Tip: We had a fantastic room because my mother needed wheelchair assistance. The handicap able junior sui...
7 Thank Debbie M
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for sharing candid feedback regarding your recent experience at Half Moon, A RockResort. We sincerely apologise that we did not exceed your expectations in some areas of our offerings and regret that you departed feeling dissatisfied.

We recognized that your dissatisfaction may have resulted from mis-communication upon check-in and apologise that your briefing may not have been detailed, hence we will endeavor to clarify a few of the pertinent concerns raised in your review.

•Half Moon is not an all-inclusive resort – we offer inclusive packages …tailored to fit the varying desires of our many guests.
•The deposit charged is an international practice – this is held to offset any incidental charges such as telephone, tips etc. that guests may incur – if not utilized a refund is made.
•Half Moon places high emphasis on the health, safety and wellbeing of our guests and as such, our nurse is mandated to record and report any food related illness treated; and we in turn, report same to our Public Health Department. During your stay we have no record of food related illness. Notwithstanding, we trust that you are feeling better and regret any discomfort encountered.

Half Moon, A RockResort is truly a first-class facility, we generally succeed in satisfying or most discerning clients; we regret that you departed feeling disappointed, resulting in your comment that you will not return neither recommend Half Moon; we trust my response will clarify the issues you had during your brief visit as a wedding guest.

Despite the various concerns we are happy you received great treatment from the staff in particular Omar – thank you for the compliments.

Again, we thank you for sharing your review on Tripadvisor.

Portland, Maine
Reviewed 19 June 2014

All four of us, two adults and two very active 11 yr old boys, had a wonderful time at Half Moon, on Montego Bay. Our rooms, a suite of two bedrooms and one living room with a pull out couch with two lovely porches overlooking the water, were very, clean, large and comfortable. We ate several meals on the 400 acre facility and all of them were excellent, the highlight being dinner at the Sugar Mill. The Swim Up Bar was a big hit with the boys as well where they were big fans of the virgin Pina Coladas! ( The bartenders there have endless patience.)
Getting around was easy either on rented bikes or staff driven golf carts or shuttle buses.
There was more than enough to do and the boys and their mom were on the go with tennis lessons. tubing, snorkeling, swimming with dolphins or swimming in both Montego Bay or in one of the several pools. Oh yes...The Spa was pretty terrific as well.
The staff was exceptional and really couldn't seem to do enough for us, whether it was making change at the front desk, getting us where we needed to go or anything else we asked. I never heard a negative word the entire time we were there
All in all it was exceptional experience and I'd reccomend The Half Moon to anyone in search relaxation and fun in glorious, elegant surroundings.

1 Thank Julie N
Dear Valued Guests,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share review on your Half Moon, A RockResort experience on Trip Advisor.

You have echoed the sentiment of so many of our esteemed guests; Half Moon, set on 400 beautifully manicured acres, offers a myriad of attractions, amenities, dining options and unique accommodations.

We are delighted your family enjoyed their experience especially our Very Important Little Guests; Half Moon is certainly a family resort – there is never a dull moment with our wide range of recreational activities be it Golf, Tennis, Fitness, spa, equestrian, water sports, Dolphin lagoon, or not be left out, our Swim-up bar which is a on course a favourite. Happy you enjoyed your dining experience especially at the Sugar Mill...another favourite among our many discerning clients.

Again, thank you for your lovely review, you are truly a Half Moon Ambassador; we look forward to welcoming you back ‘home’ soon.