“HALF MOON ROCK RESORT MONTEGO BAY JAMAICA”
Review of Half Moon

Half Moon
Ranked #2 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Joy was an amazing cook and a very kind, caring, attentive, person.
Cadilla kept our Villa spotless clean with a beautiful smile.
Lyndal kept our pool sparkling clean and was the most polite young man, he was a pleasure.
Johnny (Anthony) was there whenever we needed him, always ready to help us with anything we needed. Always served us with a smile and a big heart!
We loved everything about Jamaica, but mostly the service we received, YOU WILL NEVER MEET SUCH A GENUINE HARD WORKING STAFF ANYWHERE, THIS WAS THE TOP!!!!!

Room Tip: Travel with friends and family, eat at Scotchie's, swim with the dolphins, zip line, ride the ho...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Janna C
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Valued Guests,

Short, Sweet and spicy describe your review, thank you for sharing on tripadvisor.

We are pleased you had a beautiful experience with the Half Moon A, RockResort family and moreso the Royal Villa team who is always ready to create experiences of a lifetime for our valued clients. We truly appreciate your kind comments for Cadilla, Lyndal and Johnny; they were absolutely thrilled with your glowing compliments.

Thank you for selecting Half Moon, we are delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay at the resort and in Jamaica. We look forward to welcome you back again soon.

Regards,

There are newer reviews for Half Moon

Reviewed 13 July 2014

this place is great. You basically have your own complex and within the resort. A self contained shopping village. The food was great and the beach was better. Tons of very nice and helpful staff. Well worth the $$ you will pay

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

We try hard to provide the best possible service and amenities to you our discerning customers and your satisfaction is our reward. Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your recent Half Moon, A RockResort experience.

It was a pleasure serving you; we are thrilled you had an experience of a lifetime.

The Half Moon team looks forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Beautiful Resort. Secluded and gated community everything you need or want is their@the Resort.. Great place for family. or lover's or honeymoon. I am in the entertainment business and it was wonderful how we were loved on from the time of our arrival during our stay... until We left. the service was very good attendance around the clock, If you needed something it was and it is the pleasure of the service to help you and what I noticed is they have no problem going the mileage for you.to find it.
Great out door activity's loved the horse Back riding & sanding, loved the spa cabana to hear the ocean was amazing during receiving my spa the people the service amazing. my 3rd time coming...( what I pray is only this they get control of the ants in the bathroom) being a Caribbean Girl I brought some Chili pepper and Clorox bleach and put it in spray bottle and just sprayed
all around the window ledge in the bathroom... I didn't want to bring the little criters home...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guests,

It is always a pleasure receiving feedback from our valued clients. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share aniother lovely TripAdvisor review.

As you rightly confirmed Half Moon is truly a great resort for family – there is always something for everyone…our unmatched array of accommodations, amenities and attractions have kept our guests returning again and again. We are delighted you had another experience of a lifetime.

Thank you for your patronage; we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to your home-away-from-home soon. Thank you for the ant remedy .

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Whilst many may visit this property on vacation, I stayed for a conference. It's difficult to imagine the expanse of this property until you actually arrive.
Quiet, quaint and beautiful - with an excellent view of the moon especially when it's full is a treat everyone should experience.
My villa experience was exceptional. The golf carts provide easy access around, the staff are all attentive and polite. A place to reflect and rejuvenate.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Valued Guests,

We truly appreciate you sharing review on your recent visit to Half Moon, A Rock Resort.

Happy you enjoyed your villa experience; the villas are truly the perfect accommodation choice for groups, families, friends and business conferences. The staff stands ready to create that atmosphere that lends itself to sheer fun and enjoyment even for a business group.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience; we look forward to welcome you back on a personal vacation,

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Unfortunately our long-planned and highly anticipated vacation to Half Moon was a disappointment. The property is lovely but needs major updating. We reserved a Hibiscus Suite for our sons and the Imperial Suite for my husband and myself. After checking into the Imperial Suite, we realized our view of the ocean was marred by two large wooden piers with "huts" which have seen better days. The huts serve as the "outdoor" spa. It turns our the Hibiscus Suite had a much better view and proximity to the ocean. The hotel staff did their best to accommodate us but we ended up spending the first precious hours of our trip waiting for another room to be found. We ended up in a Hibiscus Suite which was fine and although cheaper than the price we paid for the Imperial Suite but they "couldn't credit us the difference". Definitely not luxurious but had an old-beachy kind of feel which was fine. (Wilted, old electrical outlets/technology, etc.) We loved the view and spent most of the time on our patio.

The food was on-average about a C. Thank goodness we had the all-inclusive because the menu prices were extraordinary! $45 for lunch buffet with a couple of chicken dishes, sandwiches, and a few desserts. The best tropical fruits were mysteriously not on the buffet! We ended up ordering from room service and eating on our patio most of the time which was lovely.

The property is very large which is a big part of the attraction for us. We tried to reserve a golf cart several weeks in advance but they had all been reserved for a wedding. Our rooms were close to the bike and golf cart station and everyday I walked or rode my bike by and there were plenty of carts in the lot. The answer (classic island short-hand for "go-away") was "I'm sorry, they are all reserved." It's like walking into a restaurant with tons of empty tables but being told they can't seat you. Then waiting at the bar all night and only seeing a few tables being used. It was inexcusable and had it been suggested to us anytime months before our arrival we would have been happy to reserved the carts sooner. Nevertheless. this seemingly small inconvenience would have been overlooked had we not had so many other problems from inconsistent service, (rooms not cleaned until 6 pm some days!) to a hotel which has seen it's better days.

We spent over $9,000 for 4 people, 2 rooms and 5 nights. This doesn't include any extras or the hundreds of dollars we handed out to the bellmen, housekeeping, wait staff etc. hoping we would get good service.

The one big positive was the tennis program! My husband played everyday and had a terrific pro. The spa was okay but there was more pressure to tip everyone! Even the attendant who simply showed me where the locker and bathroom were.

Frankly, I needed a vacation after that vacation! It was like a job having to continuously ask for pretty much everything that we needed that you expect a 4 star hotel to provide.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Melanie E
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Valued Guests:

Thank you for taking the time to share candid feedback on your recent visit to Half Moon, A RockResort.

We sincerely regret that we did not exceed your expectations in some aspects of your experience.

This year Half Moon celebrates its 60th Anniversary and we do our best to create a balance between our guests who love the old world charm and those who like the modern contemporary feel, therefore both experiences are interspersed in our offerings. Please accept our deepest apology for the areas of your stay that did not live up to the true Half Moon standard.

We are happy that despite the concerns, you enjoyed other features of the resort . Thank you again for your feedback; should you decide to visit us in the future please feel free to contact me at scrichton@halfmoon.com

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Firstly I would like to comment on the food, I have coeliac diease and therefore I have to follow a strict gluten free diet or risk becoming very ill, I let the hotel know this about a month before my arrival and have to say I wasn't overly impressed with the way it was handled. They asked the head chef to meet us on arrival but all he had to say was we have gf bread pasta brownies and pancakes available and nothing else was mentioned (and this was after a 9 hour flight when it was about 2am in our time system) nor was there any mention of my email saying about some specific requirements, nor was I offered any of these again.
I got served the same bread at all 3 meals everyday for 10 days and it was pretty inedible... After giving forewarning I would have expected some gf rolls for the evening or even breadsticks or something or bread I could have had a sandwich with and I couldn't say no to the bread because the service in the sea grape for lunch and breakfast was pretty slow. I never had anything else offered to me despite the fact we were staying on all inclusive so the hotel knew we would be eating all our meals here... Breakfast I had about 3 choices lunch 4 choices and nothing for pudding most days, dinners were better, but I often had to have the same starter which is not really what I was expecting. It would have been nice if I was offered some more options especially for puddings I would have even been happy to pre-order my meals the day after arrival as we did all our restaurant bookings then and so could have gone through....
One breakfast I asked for toast instead of bread and was told I couldn't because they toaster is used for gluten bread while pleased they took cross containmination seriously I would have thought it could have been put under the grill as I am sure I had toast earlier in the week... Defiantly think guest with allergies need someone they can contact to ask about these things.... For example no one ever contacted me saying if I could eat or not at the beach BBQ so I ate at the bar before going from the same limited options I have at lunch which kind of takes the edge off.... And also I wanted to know about cocktail ingridents and again I didn't know who to ask
In the restraunts in the evening up to 3 waiters can come and ask if there are any food allergies, as guests of the hotel I would have expected this information to be passed on and if not then just to be asked once... Not once did the restraunt have any of the tasters as compliments of the chef that I could eat as a food lover this was a shame
On the third from last day I had over an hour wait for a side of fries at lunch at the sea grape by which time I had eat and my family had finished their pudding, though the mangers were very apologetic it was too late, I woke up on our second to last day in a lot of pain, a sure sign I had eat gluten I ordered rice for lunch and a manager came over explaining what could be done gf to make up for the fries the day before saying he could get a pudding made gf but by this point I was too ill , but it would have been nice to have this kind of service at the beginning, defiantly think I would have got a different serves if this particular manager had searved as every day.
Also my mini bar was stocked with normal biscuits etc a small gesture would have been not to leave these in a Coeliacs room.
The italian's food however was amazing and the sweet potato panacotta pudding was to die for, literally one of the best things I have ever eaten and the sea bass and lentils were amazing. Food at the sugar mill to was good particularly the prawns and scallops scewers however I am sure I got served a none gluten free pudding on our first visit to the sugar mill so I just left it.

The beach was lovely we were in the west cottages so spent most our days on the beach outside our cottage... A tad odd you have to walk through reception to get to the pool from the beach and to go to the main bar in your swimming suit a beach bar would maybe be an idea.... Also the idea of the charge card takes away a lot of the ease of all inclusive a few times we were walking back from the pool and wanted a drink but didn't have our card on us as we were down at cottage 6 it was actually a good walk back to the bar with our cards and often we didn't bother.... Serves in the bars like the sea grape at breakfast and lunch is often slow and some of the bar tenders make drinks far to strong (undrinkable)

Lovely you can take kayaks and peddallos out but unusual that you get charged for taking a hobby craft out no where have we ever had this before
Unusual that there is no pool next to a beach meaning you have to pick if you want sea or pool
Always plenty of sun-loungers by the sea, but they are plastic with a thin cover deffaintly not 5* quality the beach could deffaintly do with showers

Pool is nice but not enough sun-loungers the music is completely unneasacary and really doesn't work... If you want a drink at the pool bar it will be a long wait nice though to have showers by the pool. As well as the hotel playing music a lot of people bring there own speakers and play them next to the pool which isn't really in tone with the hotel.

The rooms are idillic with there own little sitting rooms really makes them stand out from other hotels but we didn't have a lot of the toiletries replaced which I would have expected, also one of the bathrobes disappeared through our stay as well as my own hair towel that I had brought with me.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Coeliacgirl

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing review on your recent stay at Half Moon, A RockResort. We appreciated your candid feedback and sincerely apologise that we did not exceed your expectation in some aspects of your stay; especially with your Food and Beverage experience and the fact that you had strict Gluten free diet. The issues raised were discussed with the Food and Beverage team, whom I am sure will take the necessary action.

Your experience certainly does not reflect the high service standard and guest satisfaction for which Half Moon is renowned. We are truly a first-class resort, and our vast number of return clients is evidence that we generally succeed in satisfying our most discerning clients.

We are happy that notwithstanding the challenges encountered, your family enjoyed other features of the resort.

Again, please accept our apologies for any inconveniences encountered. We trust you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Please contact me at scrichton@halfmoon.com to discuss any further concerns and particularly the comment regarding your missing hair towel.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Beautiful resort! I was there for a wedding and stayed in one of the junior suites just steps from the beach and main lobby and resteraunt. The room was like something out of HGTV. The food was DELISH and the service was great. I visited the spa on the 4th of July for a massage. It was beautifully laid out and my masseuse was fantastic. Big ups to Sophia! The wedding and reception were both awesome. I highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed: July 2014
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful tripadvisor review; you are truly a Half Moon Ambassador. You have captured so many features of the resort in so few words. Half Moon is truly a first-class resort which offers all the amenities and activities you mentioned and more. Happy you liked your accommodation; Half Moon provided accommodation ranging from intimate to grand with each room creating a uniquely timeless appeal; a guests could return 80 times and spend each visit in a different looking room.

We thank you for choosing Half Moon; the team looks forward to welcoming you back soon,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay
Round Hill Hotel & Villas
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Half Moon? Share your experiences!