Half Moon
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
Hotel Riu Reggae(Montego Bay)
  • Beachfront
2,231 results
All reviewssugar millhibiscus suiteseagrape terraceil giardinoall inclusive planfern tree spawest cottagessea grapebedroom villacedar barroyal villasunrise beachpepper pothibiscus poolprivate pooldolphin experiencevilla staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 July 2006

This is a brilliant hotel. Lovely beach, gorgeous grounds, low rise buildings, simply stunning! I was only here for two days on 'business' but couldn't see any reason to grumble. Had lunch twice in the Seagrape restaurant - we ordered and had our food in 20 minutes. Staff couldn't do enough for you.
We also ate dinner in the Sugar Mill restaurant - try the chicken and plaintain roti and the jerk pork chops - I couldn't eat it all because you get so much!
Stayed in a Royal Villa with its own pool. Plenty of towels and enough sunbeds to go round. Rooms kept spotlessly clean and they were huge with lovely balconies and bathrooms. ONE grumble - and only one - no hot water in the shower, but coming in from the hot sun and having a cool shower was quite refreshing.
We also did the dolphin swim which was amazing.
I cannot praise the half moon enough. A few weeks before we stayed there the rapper 50 cent got married at the resort - if it's good enough for world famous celebritiies, it's good enough for me!
GO HERE!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled on business
10  Thank cornished
Reviewed 27 June 2006

This is our November/Thanksgiving vacation for the rst of our lives...beautiful rooms, excellent food and drinks, kind and thoughtful service, it is just all you could want in a relaxing resort.
This is it.This is the place.Look no further..singles, married, kids...you will LOVE it!

Stayed: November 2005
16  Thank bambam123
A TripAdvisor Member
Ashburn, VA
Reviewed 13 June 2006

The Half Moon was a very beautiful resort!! My husband and I visited May 3rd - 6th. The staff upgraded us to the Royal Suites -- which was awesome!! The food, staff and other amenities were also very nice. The only thing that was missing was good old fashioned Jamaican entertainment !!! There was no Jamaican music on the beach or at the bar(!!), nor were there any good reggae bands at night, -- only Jamaican bands singing Top 40 music(??!!). My husband and I figured that it was because of the type people that they were trying to cater to though. We were VERY disappointed in that part of the resort, but everything else was great. We actually caught a cab to the Rose Hall a few times where our friends were staying just to be around "real Jamaicans" with real Jamaican music and personalities!! The entire trip was "all good" though ;) -- we just prefer to be in "Jamaica" when we visit Jamaica !!!

• Stayed: May 2004
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Florida
Reviewed 10 June 2006

My husband & I just returned from a five day trip to the Half Moon.
It was amazing - gorgeous & groomed grounds boasted stunning flora and fauna as well.
We had a suite with an ocean view and our doors opened up literally to the Sea. The view was perfect - we had our breakfast delivered every day to our private patio as you could not top our view!

We did the all inclusive option, which is a very good idea considering the prices of dining there. The drinks and food were great, as was the service. We especially enjoyed the Sugar Mill restaurant and were pleased to meet Solomon, who has worked there for over 40 years (!).
Be sure to eat there and chat with him, an amazing guy.

The staff were attentive but keep in mind, you are on an island, therefore, you are on island time. Yeah, Mon.
We did not venture off the resort as we heard from others that most of the popular things to do (shop the "hip strip" and go to Rose Hall) were not that much fun or exciting.
What a great place to getaway from it all - We would go back in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed: June 2006
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 May 2006

We just returned from a 5 day trip. Our family of 7 (including one 2.5 year old boy) stayed in a gorgeous villa (good pricing, since off season) that had well appointed bedrooms, great common areas, great outdoors areas, its own pool and its own STAFF! A butler, housekeeper and cook, all friendly Jamaicans, able to take care of our needs from all food (including special requests), excursions and activities, daily laundry and cleaning, etc. Each monring the front porch tables were beautifully set for breakfast, made to order with the best fruit I've ever tasted. We had some lunches there, and some in the restaurants and I wish I'd had ALL meals in the villa -- it was that good (and easy!) We had golf carts to get around (a must for the villas, which are away from the resort area)

The activities were good -- there weren't many fish to see on the glass bottom boat tour, or apparently scuba diving or deep sea fishing. But the activites were fun anyway. We did the swimming with the dolphins which was very cool (but pricey) and the swimming with the horses, which was very cool too, and unusual because its not just a beach ride -- the horses go out and SWIM with you holding on.

It was quiet when we were there but I can see it becoming croweded at the group pools during high season. The swim up bar was fun, and the staff members always friendly. Good tennis, golf, spa (my husband said it was the best stone massage he'd ever had)

This was a great place for my not-well-travelled 2.5 year old. They had a childrens "village" that had little huts with different activities, and one that was more of a playroom (with a/c) for the younger kids like him. You need a nanny with them if under 3/not potty trained. We loved our nanny -- she was with him for 2.5 days of our trip and he loved her too -- she took such good care of him and was really interactive as well. Meals in the restaurnats were good, but $$ and slow (too slow for an active kid to sit still).

Beaches were good and well groomed. Not the softest sand in the world, but plesant. Lots of water sports available.

Yummy drinks (we mostly had non-alcoholic, but others in our group sampled many of their specials), jamaican entertainment, etc.

We only ventured out of the resort for one tour, to Rose Hall. Skip it. Lots of ghost stories on the tour (most of which are apparently bunk) and it didn't seem worth the price of admission.

Although you can charge most things to your room, bring lots of cash. The deep sea fishing only took cash, and there are "deals" for some things if you pay cash. We also paid the nanny in cash (only $4 an hour! We tipped her big, she was awesome)

I'd go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: May 2006