“absolutel fabulous!”

Ranked #2 of 62 Hotels in Montego Bay
London, United Kingdom
“absolutel fabulous!”
Reviewed 11 August 2010

I took a trip for leisure at the Half Moon. I found a great deal on internet and decided it was the place for me. I was not disappointed. It started with a transfer from the airport to the hotel. I was late for collection as I spent about 20 minutes trying to organise a sim and some credit for my phone. However, my driver was not frustrated and loaded my ample suitcases into the boot. with a smile. The car aircon was on and I was then whisked off to the hotel with soft reggae music playing in the background. The driver also very kindly stopped at a mall on the way to the hotel where I got my sim and credit for my mobile phone. I was all set for a great time.
On arrival, the gentleman on the desk took my details, immediately knew my name and before I knew it was being given a quickie tour of the important parts of the hotel welcome drink in hand. My luggage was on its way to my suite. Wifi was available in the lobby, at the bar and breakfast area. I was also upgraded to the Hibiscus Suite which was elegant and sophisticated.
I can't find enough superlatives to describe the staff (Antony in the Bar, Owen and Everett in the Breakfast room, Cecile/Celine in the Concierge). The accommodation, the quality of the drinks and food were superb. My room was kept pristine, any clothes I left around were neatly folded. Once I had to call the front desk because I didn't know how to operate the radio and someone was over in a flash.
My room overlooked the beach and so after a tough workout, a shower, and a very hearty breakfast, I stepped out onto the beach and spent most of my day there, interspersed with the most amazing spa treatments from the fern tree spa
The holiday was just what the doctor ordered. I would give this hotel 20/10!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank donnakaran

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 July 2010

Our flight out of Jamaica was cancelled and the only hotel available to accommodate all 240 of the displaced travelers was Half Moon. We were told it was one of the nicest hotels in Jamaica. Unfortunately, the experience did not live up to anyone’s expectations. The staff had 6 hours to prepare for us to arrive, yet did not rise to the occasion. In fact, they were obviously irritated that they had to deal with us. It took over 2 hours to check in all 240 of us (this was after we all spend about 8 hours in the airport.) We then waited for 30 min for a shuttle to take us to our villa, though the shuttle drivers were all standing around. They only took us after we flashed $20 to one of the drivers.

In addition, we were told we had to make reservations to eat and arrange another shuttle, thus another tip for the driver. We made reservations for 8pm and were not seated until 9pm, though there were plenty of open tables. We then waited for over an hour for someone to take our order and when we complained we were met with rudeness and eventually told they “didn’t want to take our order in case they ran out of food.” Finally, a manager came over and forced a server to take our order, but we still weren’t served until 11pm and we didn’t receive everything we ordered (not because they actually ran out, but because they didn’t want to get more from the fridge…it was pretty shocking). Though the airline was taking care of the tab, we saw the bill. It was over $200 for six people who all had burgers and/or sandwiches. And though the bill included a 15% gratuity, the very rude and vocal staff expected a tip (they did not receive one). Our buffet breakfast with similar poor service was over $250 for six people and our room for one night was over $400. The room had not been utilized in some time, the shower and sink did not work properly and the staff cleared out everything in the fridge…there wasn’t even a bottled water left. Since we were so far from the main hotel, if you wanted water you had to call for the shuttle, tip the driver again and then buy a bottle of water for $4.

I admit it was an unexpected situation, however, we were told on several occasions that the resort has over $700 employees, 5 resturants, 52 swimming pools…etc, and that they regularly accommodate royalty, celebrities…etc. I would have expected them to be able to handle 240 additional guests. The experience was so bad, I would have rather paid for an additional week at the resort we stayed at in Negril then spend another free night in Half Moon.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
12 Thank amb4154
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Stayed for 8 days in the Villas while attending my daughter's wedding. The resort is great. Lot's of activities on the resort to keep a family busy. For the most part, the Villas are a great option for an extended family event--a bit dated, but nice, especially the pool. Golf cart is a must! Maybe it;s because we are not used to having servants, but compared to other villas, it seemed our service staff lacked the desire to meet our needs. Didn't know when to tip and when to not tip. The Wedding exprience was exceptional. I would return but most likely would stay in the cottages next to the beach.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Hoover, Alabama
Reviewed 16 July 2010

My husband and I traveled with our one and two year old to Half Moon. Although we are well traveled, this was our very first time in Jamaica. We were not pleased at all! The service was mediocre and the villas are ancient! The hotel could use a deep cleaning and a makeover! For a five-star resort you don't expect dirty rooms, people who act like they don't care and seaweed covered beaches. The place was so bad that we left early! If you want class, quality and something for your money, stay away! This is most certainly not the place!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
10 Thank justbeingty
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Stayed here for a long weekend with extended family and friends for a wedding. We stayed in the villas, which come with your own butler, maid and cook. The food was great. The service was perfect and the property and hotel are beautiful. Everything about the place is perfect. Even when drinks are included, they don't cheap out on the alcohol and the buffets offer so many different foods, it's hard to choose. There are tons of activities and lots to see. Overall, a great place to stay. A little on the pricey side, but amazing!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Jennyxobu
Cyprus
Reviewed 6 July 2010

We had a lovely time and will come back again with our family one day.
We got upgraded as it was our honeymoon, to the rooms opposite spa.
We got the AI package half price as they had an offer on. Food was fabulous! the resort is soooo big which is lovely. we used bicycles to get around which we both thought was fun.
like someone else said, no company could dream about buying land this big in the caribbean today. its a long established resort.
There are many choices of outdoor pools, equestrian center, tennis, kids club, even a medical center and pharmacy.
Golf was alot of fun, sugar mill was lovely restaurant.
We went in presidents week [unbeknown til i got there].
I love negril more than Mo bay and if this resort was in negril and... had some adult only months then it would be perfect.
but like i said i'd return !!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 July 2010

Stayed in the villas with friends for a wedding. The service was great, the cook made amazing pan fried chicken. The rooms were a little old, and the shower was tiny (and couldn't use the shower in tub because the holder came unscrewed from the wall). Beach was wonderful, and the spa was great. The facilities for the reception and rehearsal dinner were beautiful. The only complaint I has was about the snorkeling trip. The guides just took us to a spot on the reef and told us to jump in. No instruction, no making sure that the masks fit or advice on where to go. There was also a number of jellyfish in the water, which we weren't warned about. Thankfully they only stung "a little" as the guide put it. Overall, I didn't want to leave when it was time to go home.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple